+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Gaming Thread, War Z in Fun Stuff; I've just finished a 5 hour stretch. I was originally in the "This game blows" camp, but with some friends, ...

Thank Post
    I've just finished a 5 hour stretch. I was originally in the "This game blows" camp, but with some friends, I had a really good game!

I pre-ordered, and was really underwhelmed by it.. but I'm quite impressed at the work since then. It's starting to feel like they've applied a bit of polish.
    100 man servers are in testing now, there's 15 or so up, all others are 50, XP is gained, some people are supposedly trialing skill trees... looks like the Steam uproar was just what it needed!

I think I'll definitely be playing in the future.

They've fixed the Zombie Sparsity issue too!

WarZ Day 1 - No way!.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Just seen this appear on Steam, very tempted to buy. Early Christmas self-present me thinks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TBlax View Post
    Just seen this appear on Steam, very tempted to buy. Early Christmas self-present me thinks
    Steam actually removed it due to a vast number of complaints about false advertising and the current state of the game (which is no better then a pre-Alpha IMO (and a shockingly bad one)) and offered refunds:

Quote Originally Posted by Valve
    From time to time a mistake can be made and one was made by prematurely issuing a copy of War Z for sale via Steam. We apologize for this and have temporary removed the sale offering of the title until we have time to work with the developer and have confidence in a new build. Those who purchase the game and wish to continue playing it via Steam may do so. Those who purchased the title via Steam and are unhappy with what they received may seek a refund by creating a ticket at our support site here: https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php
    Do some research on the game first and you will find it's not what you think. For a more enjoyable early Christmas present, buy a copy of Pong. It's vastly superior in every way.

Thank Post
    Hm, that's intruiging! Thanks for the heads up on that - to be honest, I saw it before it came on Steam but ignored it for the very reason of it being riddled with bugs/not very diverse with features/interesting gameplay (I was a BETA tester for APB: Reloaded for the original and the re-launch versions, it still ended up being released with the very same bugs that we had found - and there were tons of them!) but since it was approved for steam sale I assumed it would be a neat-o version and ready to go.

I'll stick with DayZ then!
    Last edited by Fleetwood; 20th December 2012 at 03:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Hm, that's intruiging! Thanks for the heads up on that - to be honest, I saw it before it came on Steam but ignored it for the very reason of it being riddled with bugs/not very diverse with features/interesting gameplay (I was a BETA tester for APB: Reloaded for the original and the re-launch versions, it still ended up being released with the very same bugs that we had found - and there were tons of them!) but since it was approved for steam sale I assumed it would be a neat-o version and ready to go.

I'll stick with DayZ then!
    Not heard much on the DayZ stand alone front lately. If they are still aiming for an early alpha release before new year, it will be cutting it fine, but I know they won't release if it's not ready.

The video I posted previous (The Bore Z - YouTube) makes interesting unbiased viewing. It was created and uploaded only a few days ago so show's the game in it's current state and the guy has gone into it wile trying to avoid the whole pro/anti WarZ banta thats about to show it off and decide for himself what it's like.
    Last edited by Rawns; 20th December 2012 at 03:43 PM.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    As nice as it would be to see the standalone come out by the new year, I'm very doubtful it will. Like you say, it'd be cutting it fine if they did. I still can't wait for it though, should it be definite.

Yeah, TB is always on the ball when it comes to this - just watched the whole thing and I couldn't agree more. I'm quite surprised that it made the BBC news too, just read the article. I expect that's put a hole in their public image somewhat. Ouchy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 783 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, that was a waste of an hour. What an utterly turd game! Playing anything else from the last 10 years, and I mean ANYTHING would be more entertaining.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Well, that was a waste of an hour. What an utterly turd game! Playing anything else from the last 10 years, and I mean ANYTHING would be more entertaining.
    I'm prescribing you with 2 months worth of Plants vs. Zombies gameplay.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    The video I posted previous (The Bore Z - YouTube) makes interesting unbiased viewing.
    I would hardly call it unbiast, half of the issues he had were down to his own stupidity of bashing zombies in the torso, walking off steep hills and running around with a flashlight claiming the stealth aspect is broken.

Then watch his video previewing DayZ, with rocket co-hosting. He runs into so many buggy zombies, trash mechanics and god awful UI issues and doesn't mutter a peep of frustration

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
    I would hardly call it unbiast, half of the issues he had were down to his own stupidity of bashing zombies in the torso, walking off steep hills and running around with a flashlight claiming the stealth aspect is broken.

Then watch his video previewing DayZ, with rocket co-hosting. He runs into so many buggy zombies, trash mechanics and god awful UI issues and doesn't mutter a peep of frustration
    On you have to pay for, one you don't.

One is a "releasable" game, one is a mod to a clunky army game.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 21st December 2012 at 11:52 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm prescribing you with 2 months worth of Plants vs. Zombies gameplay.
    I'll 2nd that opinion, one of the best games I have ever played

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's good fun indeed
    I prefer games that have actually been made release worthy. Which rules out this crap, and anything by EA.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamH View Post

The number of hits those zombies took with his baseball bat lased with nails was ridiculous. With head hits, they take an age to drop when one, maybe two blows should do the trick, and even a three to four in the chest with a weapon like that should be enough to incapacitate them. Even from behind they are close to invincible due to the pinpoint accuracy you have to use to get a one-hit kill due to poorly implemented hit zones. And when trying to run from them, 3 to 4 hits and your dead! Again, completely absurd. And if you did pay for any items and had them equipped at the time - all gone. If you have consumed your "sprint", the Zeds can catch up quite easy enough (Another annoyance, the sprint meter drops like a stone when you use it, yet takes a lifetime to refill again. Poorly implemented? Or 'designed' as such for more survivor deaths, and (Hammerpoint hope) more gear convenience purchases?)

And the hills were hardly steep in that video and he should NOT have a hit of between 1/4 and 1/3 of his health. The physics and world itself are are just pooly implemented. I had the same issue, steady inclines you suddenly slide down for no reason resulting in loss of health/death.

Yes, DayZ at times can be buggy, but it's a FREE alpha mod. It's not a stand alone product that's been deemed "good enough" to be sold to consumers.

As for the 'awful' DayZ UI, I'm not sure what's so awful about it? The HUD is simple, unintrusive (which only helps you get immersed in the mod) and shows you exactly what you need to know. Obviously they are restricted to the capabilities of the ARMA2 engine (which has it's clunky moments), and yes, if you are new, you may find it takes a while to get to grips with the gear screen and how to pick up/transfer items but it's not a steep learning curve to get to grips with.
    Last edited by Rawns; 21st December 2012 at 12:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So the dev behind it all "Sergey Titov" (sounds like a meerkat!) is the "mastermind" behind a slew of utterly crap games. WIth the majority of this game copy & pasted from various other places illegally, I suspect he could find himself losing anything he's made and a hell of a lot more on lawsuits.

Sorry, but serves the idiot right.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast