+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Gaming Thread, War Z in Fun Stuff; Most people in game are shoot first ask after, i think the main reason is the lack of proximity VOIP, ...

Thank Post
    Most people in game are shoot first ask after, i think the main reason is the lack of proximity VOIP, by the time you have typed "hi i'm friendly want to group up" you would prob be dead. Think they plan to add it soon.

I think your best bet for grouping is finding people outside the game to play with, IE a clan/mates who play. They are bringing in a buddy and clan system soon, which should be nice.

The only person who has stopped to chat to me in proximity was yesterday after i clipped him with my silenced AK, he went prone and said "friendly, i will help you kill those guys up ahead" trouble is i was lookout for those guys up ahead.

Thank Post
    I get the "Friendly" spiel quite a lot, then they try a pickaxe to the face. First guy got my SMG emptied into him, all 5 rounds that were left
    Stole his pickaxe though, then was running around with some guy for 5/10 minutes, he tried to kill me with a flashlight. Didn't really want to kill him, he showed me how to quickly melee kill, but it came in handy.

For the record, pickaxe > flashlight.

Thank Post
    lol, sounds fun - if anyones got any guest invites left I'll give it a go!

Thank Post
    I think I still have one, I'll PM you it if I do.

Thank Post
    Just noticed this has been released on steam though I think it's still in alpha/beta. Is anyone still playing it? Worth a punt for £10 if you enjoyed Day z?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/226700/

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Its fun, but the 6 character limitation (at least that was on the alpha) was annoying as hell, not to mention the 1 hour re-spawn wait!!

That said the "ex cage fighter" character had the strongest hit with the torch (3 hits for a zombie to drop compared to 5-7 with the other 4 classes)
    The "ex military" character has the most health compared to the other 4
    The hunter character has the best rifle/gun accuracy compared to the other 4
    The "rebel without a cause" has the best longevity (in terms of not needing to eat food)
    The "average joe" is just that...average

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    Just noticed this has been released on steam though I think it's still in alpha/beta. Is anyone still playing it? Worth a punt for £10 if you enjoyed Day z?

Save 10% on The War Z on Steam
    The Steam link originally had complete lies about the features in the game, size of maps, players, servers, not stating its not finished (as mentioned by the dev)... completely false advertising and I'm surprised Steam let them. Entering dayz as a search term on steam, more than cheeky. Pay to win and pay to respawn (now 4 hours), great for the devs to cash in on another games popularity.

Good luck to whoever gives this company money.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 19th December 2012 at 07:38 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    The Steam link originally had complete lies about the features in the game, size of maps, players, servers, not stating its not finished (as mentioned by the dev)... completely false advertising and I'm surprised Steam let them. Entering dayz as a search term on steam, more than cheeky. Pay to win and pay to respawn (now 4 hours), great for the devs to cash in on another games popularity.

Good luck to whoever gives this company money.
    But having played both i can say aside from the hacking issue (which still happens in dayz) Warz is a much better, more polished game.

Pay to win? if getting some food or ammo without looting saving you 5 minutes then sure..

Pay to respawn? if you are dying that much in that amount of time you really should be playing another game.

I never get these "but its a rip of of X game!" arguments, sure it saw how successful Dayz was being and thought "we could do that but better" if everyone had your logic on not improving on an existing idea because it already exists we would still be driving around in ford model A's

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
    But having played both i can say aside from the hacking issue (which still happens in dayz) Warz is a much better, more polished game.
    IMO, DayZ is a far superior game in every manor. True, while DayZ only looks as polished graphically on a top end rigs, it still has a While there are still hackers in game, the number has dropped considerably (and they tend to be more on the custom worlds now that utilise custom code making it easier for hackers!). There there is hacking in The War Z too, only the mods excessively kick/ban hackers and innocent parties kin an attempt to gain control which causes loads of complaints (check out their forums for details)

Pay to win? if getting some food or ammo without looting saving you 5 minutes then sure..
    A prime example there of why they developers can cash in with the 'pay to win' system. If they game was any good, there would be sufficient resources for people to scavenge like in DayZ. And that's the whole point of a game like DayZ/WarZ, savaging and survival. The ability to quickly pay to gear up just removes a kep part of the games mechanics. The devs know people will pay so they can cash in on it.

Pay to respawn? if you are dying that much in that amount of time you really should be playing another game.
    This is the worst thing I have ever seen in a game. Pay to respawn? With the volume of bandits, bambie hunters and those who just kill for fun after saying "friendly", chances are you will die more often then not. Again, the developers see this and have been clever and introduced another way to pull in more revenue, and people will pay to use the same character.

I never get these "but its a rip of of X game!" arguments, sure it saw how successful Dayz was being and thought "we could do that but better" if everyone had your logic on not improving on an existing idea because it already exists we would still be driving around in ford model A's
    I'd hardly call The WarZ a case of "we could do that but better". The devs could see how popular DayZ had become so took an existing game (War Inc) where most of the mechanics were in place (including pay to play), effectively modded it as quickly as possible to match the primary features of DayZ and get it out there before the DayZ stand alone. As far as I can see, nothing has been implemented better.

And with the recent farce of Steam, it just goes to show that it's more of a money making tool for the devs.
    Last edited by Rawns; 19th December 2012 at 09:08 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    I'd hardly call The WarZ a case of "we could do that but better". The devs could see how popular DayZ had become so took an existing game (War Inc) where most of the mechanics were in place (including pay to play), effectively modded it as quickly as possible to match the primary features of DayZ and get it out there before the DayZ stand alone. As far as I can see, nothing has been implemented better.

And with the recent farce of Steam, it just goes to show that it's more of a money making tool for the devs.
    Here are some of the reasons i think WarZ is a more polished game.

The AI is much better, zombies behave a lot more like classic zombies should, no unexplained slowdown while inside buildings, no infinite sprinting and american football juke's and no teleporting up ladders.

Optimization, you don't need the most up to date rig to make warz look good, its based on a modernish engine that is a lot smoother.

Usability, Dayz is a pain to install, a pain to get running correctly and even once you have got in game the UI is terrible. In contrast Warz has a simple launcher and a easy UI.

Social tools, While i like DayZ's in-game proximity VOIP (one of the only games it useful in) the pain of trying to find the people you play with in game, Sure its more realistic, but most of the time it is tedious if you enjoy playing with others. With squad tools hopefully coming soon it will be even easier.

Maps, Dayz has a much bigger map, but it is mainly empty and uninteresting. WarZ promotes interaction with other player's and when inside city's and towns there are a greater number of accessible buildings.

Items, the guns are more interesting to use in Warz, the ability to find attachments ads another level of equipping yourself to survive. I like the fact you can use vanity items to distinguish yourself too.

In summery they are both games i enjoy, and hopefully when the Dayz standalone is released it will resolve many of the problems i have with the mod. I don't think a game should be slammed due to the fact it is following the success from another game, some of the best games out there took inspiration from prior games and should be judged on it's on merit or lack of. I dont begrudge any game developer's trying to make money, with all the developers going bust at the moment it is good that they can. I don't like the pay-to-win model in Warz and wont use it myself, but to be fair its more pay-for-convenience

Thank Post
    A game that is out of beta/alpha would be more polished than a mod of a clunky army game. Most of the aspects you mention are down to the fact its not a game in its own right. Despite its flaws I personally prefer the large expanses and multiple towns, it adds so much more than the usual PvP games that concentrate everyone in the same areas... and DayZ mod is still more fun!

Personally speaking a poor knock together of a game that directly copies almost everything from another game deserves to be put down and called for what it is. Its not inspiration, its a copy. DayZ was different, it didn't hold your hand, it didn't try to cash in on players stupidity, it didnt make the zeds easy, it didnt make pickups unrealistically glow on the ground. If the game is good enough it will sell, it wont need silly paid add on's.... unless they rip off another game and try to cash in as quickly as possible.

Interesting interview with Sergey about the false advertising on the Steam page here:

GameSpy: A Shocking Interview With The War Z Developer On False Steam Store Claims - Page 1

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thing with warZ also, have you been in one of the maps...to get from one major point to another literally takes between 20-50 minutes depending on where you are going and what you are doing. As for losing equipment...doesn't DayZ mod do the same?

Thank Post
    Pulled from Steam with Valve offering refunds:

From time to time a mistake can be made and one was made by prematurely issuing a copy of War Z for sale via Steam. We apologize for this and have temporary removed the sale offering of the title until we have time to work with the developer and have confidence in a new build. Those who purchase the game and wish to continue playing it via Steam may do so. Those who purchased the title via Steam and are unhappy with what they received may seek a refund bycreating a ticket at our support site here: https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php

Thank Post
    This is worth the read. WarZscam

It also seams at one point, they ripped their T's & C's from league of Legends, another game of theirs: http://i.imgur.com/EBOr7.jpg. Examples of blatant ports from War Inc to War Z: http://imgur.com/a/SvNg5

Edit: This is good and impartial too.

I recommend watching the start, but if you dont watch it all, jump to 12:00.

Also seems they made their in-game background with Google Image rips:

Zombies.jpg
    Last edited by Rawns; 19th December 2012 at 09:03 PM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Seems Valve weren't too happy with the uproar and pulled the game from Steam.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast