+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Gaming Thread, XCOM Enemy Unknown in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by DMcGuigan Pre-loaded mine last night while I was asleep, gonna get my X-COM on tonight! Saweet what ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcGuigan View Post
    Pre-loaded mine last night while I was asleep, gonna get my X-COM on tonight!
    Saweet what you think of the new signature? overkill? lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by north-ict View Post
    Saweet what you think of the new signature? overkill? lol
    Nah, looks good! Only X-COM players / fans will recognize it too, hides the geeky tones a little bit

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcGuigan View Post
    Nah, looks good! Only X-COM players / fans will recognize it too, hides the geeky tones a little bit
    LOL Cheers, what I realised when I looked at the new XCOM logo is that the '-' in the original version (X-COM) is incorporated into the 'COM' on the new logo. So since my username is north-ict I incorporated it into 'ict'.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some enjoyable reading for your Friday afternoons: The re-making of XCOM - Articles - Eurogamer.net
    And watch the YouTube video halfway down of Jake Solomon pretending to work at a game store and sell his game to randoms... brilliant.

Thank Post
    I've been playing for the last 2 hours or so, loving it so far. Going through on Normal with Ironman to start with, figure out any little intricacies and squad compositions, my next will probably be Impossible Ironman. Glutton for punishment

Lost my first unit and it's pretty gut wrenching when he's your highest rank and gets hit with poison in the first turn. You just know he's not getting out alive on certain missions.

Le Edit: Just turned it off finally, I think I may be hooked. Lost my 16 mission, 36 confirmed kills sniper. I'll call it a night and go into mourning
    Last edited by DMcGuigan; 13th October 2012 at 12:20 AM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right now I have WoW and BF3 pulling me in two opposite directions. Picked up X-COM and now it's a three way tug!

This game is fantastic though! I love the dying turn-based strategy genre and this is a real treat. Done 3 missions so far and three of my troops have survived, slot 4 seems to suffer from red-shirt curse. Perma-death really adds something to the game too as you become really wary of your flanks. Sectoids ambushed me from up high flanking me to catch a valuable sniper character in the open; "S***!" She was saved only because she had extra armour equipped! Then one of the rookie's gets shot to pieces on the other side of the map.

I have a feeling my memorial wall is going to be very full. But after my first poisoning incident, I've started bringing a med-pack!

Thank Post
    I bought it on Friday... not sure what happened to the rest of my weekend, all i remember is aliens are bad, and sectopods induce a "ohhh &%$* no!" response.

Been playing on normal difficulty to get back into the swing of xcom games. Doing pretty well, got a good squad of solders with some pretty decent cover for when they are injured, Got to the point of the last mission i think, but holding that off while i build up more phy powers.

Only lost one country, Argentina, so okay with that.

It really does add to the excitement when you can loose soldiers for good, one of the main guys, heavy corporal, got pretty messed up from flanking elite mutons and a sectopod and was on a couple of health by the end, got my support over there and applied a medkit to get him to half health but left him cowering in a corner for the rest of the mission out of fear of him dying while the rest of my soldiers played cleanup.
    Last edited by LiamH; 15th October 2012 at 08:49 AM.

Thank Post
    Bee Playing this a lot this weekend, about halfway - 2 thirds through now (I think) All was going well up to a UFO crash site in Nigeria. 2 New alien types (I wont spoil it for those still playing through, but they're both tough!) lost 5 out of my 6 man squad Including my 2 Colonels once of whom had been with me since mission 2 and had 60+ kills. I was absolutely devastated, the last guy only survived by running like a bat outa hell back to the skyranger.

Thank Post
    Been having an issue with a crash on my first run through. It seems to freeze up when loading the first Muton (I think) video. I have the save "immediatellY" prior to the first appearance of the new aliens safely tucked away, so when and if it gets fixed I can happily continue that one.
    Have restarted the campaign and (fingers crossed) heres hoping I don't get it on this run through.

My favourite littel nuance so far are the soldier nicknames. Especially since my first soldier to get his nickname was the sole survivor from the tutorial mission who ended up getting the rather apt nickname of "Prototype"..

Colonel Hector "Prototype" Gonzalez, we salute you!

Hardest mission I have encountered so far (not too far in I suspect) was the first Alien Terror attack which saw the introduction of the Chrysalid's . Didn't make the connection between them and the "eviscerated corpse" from mission one, ignored the "zombies" and a few turns later "BAM" Chrysalid numbers went up by 3!!

Thank Post
    Thought you might enjoy this.

Emergency XCOM Meeting - Dorkly Video

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Last alien left, rookie is pinned down and will die in the next turn. My veteran assault trooper is on 3 health and the only one close enough to do anything. Run and Gun, right up next to the alien. 87% hit chance, shotgun, time to die.

*BLAM!*

MISS...

Next turn, plasma pistol to the face and instant death as the medic ran out of medpack charges.

8 Mission, 17 kills, 1 Heroic sacrifice.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Last alien left, rookie is pinned down and will die in the next turn. My veteran assault trooper is on 3 health and the only one close enough to do anything. Run and Gun, right up next to the alien. 87% hit chance, shotgun, time to die.

*BLAM!*

MISS...

Next turn, plasma pistol to the face and instant death as the medic ran out of medpack charges.

8 Mission, 17 kills, 1 Heroic sacrifice.
    Ouch, hate it when that happens. I have one sniper who i swear is a better shot with her pistol than her sniper rifle.

Had a few people start to bleed out in missions with no medpack's managed to save some of them by aggressively finishing the mission in 3 turns

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123