Backup to Disk - Specification
Things move fast in the world of IT... only this morning I found out that our current backup system is not compatible with Server 2008, now I am trying to spec and cost a machine capable of running MS DPM with adequate storage. I don't think our current RM D2D box would be up to the job (Pentium 4), but does have rather a nice case so am looking for internals only.
Anyone spec'd one of these recently and if so what have you gone for? Please find below my initial thoughts... our backups are fast approaching the 1tb mark so hopefully this should do us fine for some time to come.
- Case - Use existing RM case
- HDD - The crucial bit... I was thinking 1 x 250gb ish OS Drive and 6 x 1.5tb HDD in RAID0 array for speed... dont know a huge amount about HDD's but I guess I am looking for 7200rpm drives with 64mb cache. Any particular brand/make I should go for?
- Processor = i3/i5? Not really sure how demanding DPM is but would also like it to be relatively future-proof and may off-load other jobs on to it eventually (Workstation builds/Packages etc.)
- RAM - 8gb DDR3 (again any brand recommendations here
- OS - Server 2008
- Software - MS DPM (or possibly even ArcServe)
- Offsite - 2tb External HDD's (encrypted... I presume ArcServe and DPM can do this :confused:)
Any thoughts on the above, things I havent considered etc. It's certainly gonna be the most hectic summer I have ever had (Rebuild network of 450 workstations to non-cc3 standard, Rebuild MIS server with Server 2008/SQL2008, Change Backup Solution).