1. Can you clarify if you are running SP1 on the production server or on the test server?
2. Is the test server part of your production AD or is it isolated in it's own AD?
3. Can you confirm if any databases exist on this server? If so, can you check if they have the systems mailbox on them?
4. Can you check Event Log for additional errors?
5. This may be related to the removal of the DB/mailboxes.
Hi suk, this is all test, the entire AD, DC, exchange, etc
I have found this link: When you try to install the Exchange Server 2010 Mailbox role, the installation process fails
and run the command:
which I think has fixed things.. will report back soon!
New-Mailbox -Arbitration -Name FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8b-8179-4148-93bf-00a95fa1e042 -UserPrincipalName FederatedEmail.4c1f4d8b-8179-4148-93bf-00a95fa1e042@<Default_Accepted_Domain>
That artilcle is saying to recreate the system mailboxes which were deleted before.
Did you not create a new database after the old one was deleted and check these?
Let me know how you get along.
I already had a new database, but by deleting that federation thing from the old/broken database it seemed to remove the entry in AD too. Running that command seems to have brought back the AD entry..
Its late now, but will report back tomorrow how things are. Thanks for your continued help.
How did it go?
thanks for the follow up, been really busy this week havent had a chance to play, will report back as soon as I can
So today I have finally had a chance to follow this up. I did a P2V and shutdown the existing one. I installed SP1 of exchange which went well. Then I installed SP1 of 2008R2 which also went well. Finally I upgraded it to 2008R2 Enterprise from the Standard that it was. Its working great (touch wood).
Thanks everyone for getting this sorted.
ok still playing with this test setup. There is a 2008 Server which was the PDC and held the main roles. I want to remove this 2008 server, so I have transferred the FSMO roles to a new 2008r2 dc.
To test, I shutdown the 2008 server, but now exchange doesnt work (well, owa, I havent tested outlook).
If I use DCPromo to remove it as a DC role, will that resolfve the issue, or is there some other things I need to transfer off that I havent thought about / know about ?
A server that contains information about your user account and mailbox can't be found.
User host address: 184.108.40.206
OWA version: 14.1.287.0
Exception type: Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ADTransientException
Exception message: Could not find any available Global Catalog in forest pmg.co.uk.
Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ConnectionPoolManager.GetConnection(ConnectionType connectionType, ADObjectId domain, String serverName, Int32 port, NetworkCredential credential)
Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ADSession.GetConnection(String preferredServer, Boolean isWriteOperation, Boolean isNotifyOperation, String optionalBaseDN, ADObjectId& rootId, ADScope scope)
Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ADGenericReader.GetNextResultCollection(Type controlType, DirectoryControl& responseControl)
Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.Recipient.ADRecipientSession.FindMiniRecipientBySid[TResult](SecurityIdentifier sId, IEnumerable`1 properties)
Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.FBASingleSignOnFilterChain.GetExchangePrincipalFromWindowsIdentity(WindowsIdentity windowsIdentity, String smtpAddress)
Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.FBASingleSignOnFilterChain.HandleIfLegacyRedirect(WindowsIdentity identity, String explicitLogonUser, Configuration owaConfiguration, HttpApplication httpApplication)
Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.FBASingleSignOnFilterChain.FilterRequest(Object source, EventArgs e, RequestEventType eventType)
Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.RequestFilterChain.ExecuteRequestFilterChain(Object source, EventArgs e, RequestEventType eventType)
Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.OwaRequestEventInspector.OnPostAuthorizeRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e)
System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
Seems like new Exchange thinks that the new DC isn't a GC. Can you confirm it is?
Also, try and let Exchange discover the new topology, try and restart the Microsft Exchange Active Directory Topology Service
How do I confirm that it is a global catalogue?
new DC is definately a GC, and so is another DC.
Am I safe to just demote the old one do you think?
I would ensure that Exchange is happy before demoting the old DC.
Can you check the Event Logs on the Exchange server and check for errors?
Did you restart both the new DC and Exchange (one at a time)?
IVe restarted Exchange, but not any of the other DCs..
Exchange is given me loads of errors in the logs:
Log Name: Application
Date: 3/12/2011 11:43:00 AM
Event ID: 2155
Task Category: Service
The Third Party Replication Manager could not access Active Directory. Error: The Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service on server localhost did not return any suitable domain controllers.. Initialization will be retried automatically.
<Provider Name="MSExchangeRepl" />
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-12T11:43:00.000000000Z" />
<Data>The Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service on server localhost did not return any suitable domain controllers.</Data>
Ill try restarting the DCs..