+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Sharepoint Foundation 2010 - Backup Procedures in Technical; As horrible as Sharepoint is I'm looking for some best practices for backing it up. I know you can backup ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts

Sharepoint Foundation 2010 - Backup Procedures

As horrible as Sharepoint is I'm looking for some best practices for backing it up.

I know you can backup through the Central Administration console to a remote directory which is fine and I am more then happy to do that - is there a better way to do it? Also can this be set to automatically backup rather then manual?

I will be veeam replicating the server to external DR site but need an alternate method to backup this up if possible.

Thank Post
    DPM is probley a good option here its fully automated to a point.

Document :
    Download: How to protect SharePoint with DPM 2010 - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MicrosoftTechy View Post
    DPM is probley a good option here its fully automated to a point.

Document :
    Download: How to protect SharePoint with DPM 2010 - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details
    I don't have DPM to hand. Rather after information on just backing up the SQL etc.

Would a copy of the SQL database and a copy of the Web server Extensions folder suffice for example

Thank Post
    Windows PowerShell script files are .ps1 files.

You can use Backup-SPFarm to do it. For help and examples, type get-help Backup-SPFarm -examples.

For example, the follow script will start a full backup to e:\backup.

Backup-SPFarm -Directory E:\Backup -BackupMethod full

Save it as E:\Scripts\BackupSharePointFarm.ps1. You may need to use "set-executionpolicy RemoteSigned" to allow a local unsigned ps1 file to run.

And put the following as your scheduled command line, or inside your batch file....
    powershell -command E:\Scripts\BackupSharePointFarm.ps1

In task scheduler, the account need to be set to the one who has admin permissions (or at least with powershell permission) otherwise it cannot run properly.

Thank Post
    You can launch SharePoint Management Shell, or load snap in in the powershell prompt manually.

Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell

Thank Post
    Thats the info I'm after. Linux Web servers are so much easier to backup then this Sharepoint thing (and a hell of a lot less complicated.)

Thank Post
    Mmmmm depends on how and what you planning on backing up and how you're gonna do it. Remeber when james used to be at Oriel half it was Linux and never worked properly haha.

Thank Post
    Mmmmm depends on how and what you planning on backing up and how you're gonna do it. Remeber when james used to be at Oriel half it was Linux and never worked properly haha.
    thats becuase it was setup by James and one server (plus he just does things without and testing). i setup an entire school pretty much running on it (web servers, Virtual hosts using KVM plus file servers and and backup using Backup PC radio stations and it worked flawlessly. the only bug bear of the network was Exchange which if i was still there would be replaced with with Google Apps/Office 365 or Zimbra. Plus Viglen + Linux was never going to work

Thank Post
    Yeah there is that....haha! Yeah i hear i was a bit put off with the thought of KVM though but thats just me. What they have now is just mind boggaling ! Conrad has done an amazing job using VMware, Microsoft solution suites ect... but i guess you where working on a budget of sorts? But it dose sound good

Thank Post
    Yeah there is that....haha! Yeah i hear i was a bit put off with the thought of KVM though but thats just me. What they have now is just mind boggaling ! Conrad has done an amazing job using VMware, Microsoft solution suites ect... but i guess you where working on a budget of sorts? But it dose sound good
    i had a larger budget then oriel would of had. Just dislike half of the Microsoft offerings. I'm working with VMware now in large installations and a lot of VDI stuff which is good.

Thank Post
    They do work quite good when you get them installed properly, I started my first job a few weeks ago ( IT Network egineer ) i support many clients 300+ remoley and onsite im off to oxford street wednesday actually to work on a new rollout! i like it quite alot actually! all microsoft to!! theres one company that use some macs for design work ect..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread