+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, SCVMM - where to install it? in Technical; The next task in my list is to set up SCVMM 2012 to manage our HyperV farm when it is ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 2,014 Posts
    Blog Entries

SCVMM - where to install it?

The next task in my list is to set up SCVMM 2012 to manage our HyperV farm when it is fully in place, and also to facilitate the 'P2V' aspects of it all.

So the question is this:-

Where do I install it? Installing it in a VM doesn't make sense, as how could it handle things like moving VMs if they host it was on went down?

Can it be installed on a DC? Are there any provisos I need to be aware of?

Or should I bite the bullet and give it its own machine?

Thank Post
    We've given the system centre products their own machine (on the same grounds you mentioned about theres no point in it being a VM) - separate from our two virtual hosts.

Its only a old HP DL385 G1 (yes you saw right) but it runs 64bit fine and in turn runs SCVMM fine Do mean to swap it out with something a little more power efficient when we can though....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Installed on a DC here, works fine for me. It'll whinge during installation but it works fine. Not aware of any particular issues with it.

Works quite well as far as I'm concerned as it's clearly the first server to come up - both for bringing the domain online and letting you bring the other servers online.

Pro tip: when bringing virtual hosts up, bring one up first so it can grab the SCSI reservations on the SAN, if two come up at the same time they can compete for it and muck it up. Giving one a headstart just saves hassle.

Sounds like you're doing a lot of what I've done/am doing, just in a different order, so shout if you have any other questions... I'm mostly sat in front of my SCCM session trying to get different applications to install at the moment so I should be about!

Thank Post
    After encouraging comments previously made by sonofsanta in a different thread I decided to give it a go & install SCVMM 2012 on a DC. We have one physical DC and two virtual DCs so VMM has been installed with SCOM on the physical DC. It's early days yet as I am building a whole new domain but I have not had any problems with this arrangement. I do have a fall-back plan of splitting them if it turns out to be a bad move. The DC was deliberately 'overspecced' to allow for this mix. I am running this setup on a DELL R310 X3450 with 32gb memory, if I have to split them the DC role will be moved onto a legacy server.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,065 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    After encouraging comments previously made by sonofsanta in a different thread I decided to give it a go & install SCVMM 2012 on a DC.
    Well now I feel responsible for when it goes wrong for everyone. I don't know what I'm talking about

(I have been running it for almost a year now though, and virtual servers have been in production for a good couple of months, and all is still fine though. I may just be lucky, but experience tells me that's unlikely)

6. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

broc (3rd August 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Well now I feel responsible for when it goes wrong for everyone. I don't know what I'm talking about

(I have been running it for almost a year now though, and virtual servers have been in production for a good couple of months, and all is still fine though. I may just be lucky, but experience tells me that's unlikely)
    I won't hold it against you if it goes bad on me........

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As far as I knew SCVMM does not need to be up for the migration to occour, I thought it just setup the rules and the hosts worked it out between them. This was how I remembered it being described when people were first doing it and the SCVMM demo was suggested to move them and set up the migration as to long as it did not change it did not matter when it ran out. I could be wrong though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread