+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, SCCM client install failing to get site from AD in Technical; So, after my previous issue and discovering something more deep-rooted, I am getting errors saying "Failed to get assigned site ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,613 Times in 2,019 Posts
    Blog Entries

SCCM client install failing to get site from AD

So, after my previous issue and discovering something more deep-rooted, I am getting errors saying

"Failed to get assigned site from AD. Error 0x80004005" in the ccmsetup.log when the client is deployed via Windows Update.

I had a look and indeed, the server had failed to publish data to the Domain. However, it now works but I'm still getting that error.

There is now a mSSMSSite entry in the System Management container with the CN=SMS-Site-BLC and an accompanying mSSMSManagementPoint entry, but the container is empty.

Should that container have something in it?

Why am I still getting that error?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,074 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does your SCCM server have Full Control on the System Management container when you look in adsiedit.msc? I also granted the SMSAdmin user full control (or whatever you called your admin account for SCCM, most guides recommend you create one)

EDIT: although the container beneath System Management is empty for me as well, and my site boundaries are fine. There are entries in System Management itself, just nothing in the sub-container.

How are you setting your boundaries in SCCM?
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 26th July 2012 at 11:22 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've got it now... I hadn't set up a Boundary Group. I'd set up a Boundary only.

Setting up a Boundary Group has the option to tell it which site code goes with what.

So, I shall just do some tests but I *think* I've got it all working now. Well, except anti-virus definition auto-deployment. Something is out of sync there but I'll get it sorted.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Once again proving the edict that a problem is only obvious once you've opened your mouth to ask about it and made yourself look daft

Enjoy the satisfaction of seeing FEP just appear on computers now though. Once it's working it's like magic

Oh, and - having just checked now and seen a result for the first time - it looks like my FEP autoupdates are doing their thing so shout if that's a pig as well.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thing is, I'd not seen Boundary Groups mentioned anywhere. Not in any tutorials or sites! So, I stumbled upon them purely by finding someone else who had a similar issue once upon a time.

MS really need to produce a nice 'getting started' guide for SCCM...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    windows-noob.com really is the best place for SCCM guides - I've followed the posts there for 2007 and 2012 and had no problems. Relevant here: using SCCM 2012 RC in a LAB - Part 3. Configuring Discovery and Boundaries - Configuration Manager 2012 - Release Candidate - www.windows-noob.com

@TheScarfedOne also wrote 8 or 9 posts on SCCM2012 on his blog here, although looking now I can't see any mention of Boundary Groups in there, typically.

Agreed, though... once you get to this level of server fun MS seem to give up and any human-readable documentation and instead just produce massive lists of features and checklists.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread