Enterprise Software Thread, Sharepoint - who is using it? in Technical; I've recently pitched the use of Sharepoint as the foundation for a project to redevelop our intranet / in-house VLE ...
9th July 2012, 10:56 AM #1
- Rep Power
Sharepoint - who is using it?
I've recently pitched the use of Sharepoint as the foundation for a project to redevelop our intranet / in-house VLE / other custom web systems and develop new systems, automate business processes etc. and we are planning on kicking this off come September.
Our principal is keen to find out what other sixth form colleges / large schools have gone down this route. Are you using Sharepoint at your institution? If so, would you mind sharing:
1) What you're using it for, and how long for.
2) How you support it / who does the development work (dedicated staff recruited for the role, retrained existing staff, consultants, a blend of all of the above?)
3) Any feedback as to how you've found the experience.
4) Future plans you have to develop the use further.
9th July 2012, 11:46 AM #2
1) We have been using it for about 5 years now and it's the main communication tool for the Academy. Staff all use the Platform instead of the paper briefing that used to go out daily and we are also going down the route that the Academy website will be front facing through SharePoint as well. (Sept 12)
2) I myself manage the day to day use of it and i was managed by the Learning Platform Manager (leaving July 2012) who covered the Teaching and Learning side to try and embed it's use into classroom lessons. We had the install made bespoke to us so that it fitted our needs, by a local company who provide a 3rd level of tech support.
3) Bespoke has worked well for us and the use of the VLE has increased, although we always have the battle with the shared area, some departments have took it on, but others still rely on the shared area because the speed and ease of use shades the VLE. As for setting work and the integration of SLK, that we haven't managed to crack yet, but are working on different ways to try and make it easier for Staff. A big issue is that you need to get SLT/Principal on board from day one and require them to use it. If they don't support it then, why should the rest of the staff?
4) Front facing website, more paper less forms for day to day operations.
You can see a demo of our VLE here
Also have a look at Microsoft's SharePoint You Tube channel for more videos
Last edited by gpjt; 9th July 2012 at 11:49 AM.
10th July 2012, 06:56 PM #3
- Rep Power
Great, thanks - will take a look at the videos!
Did you do any formal Microsoft training?
You mentioned integrated SLK - sorry, not familiar with that acronym?
10th July 2012, 11:43 PM #4
SharePoint Learning Kit. It's an open source Learning Management System for SharePoint.
Decent clip about it here
By moriartythemundane in forum Licensing Questions
Last Post: 13th December 2012, 09:15 AM
By Richie1972 in forum *nix
Last Post: 27th January 2009, 08:24 PM
By sidewinder in forum MIS Systems
Last Post: 14th November 2007, 11:23 AM
By joem in forum Windows Vista
Last Post: 3rd July 2007, 10:48 AM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)