+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, SCCM HowTo Guide from WindowsN00b in Technical; Anyone done an install following this guys guide? I find its a bit of a mish mash between beta/RC/RTM Ive ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

SCCM HowTo Guide from WindowsN00b

Anyone done an install following this guys guide?

I find its a bit of a mish mash between beta/RC/RTM

Ive followed the RTM guide from Part 1. Installation - to Part 5. Adding WSUS, Adding the SUP role, deploying the Configuration Manager Client Agent but I cant find an RTM guide for anything beyond this..
    Last edited by RabbieBurns; 6th July 2012 at 04:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 787 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, my install is mostly a run through of those plus common sense & practice (followed the guides for betas and RCs too)
    Use the RC guide for anything not in RTM and technet/MSDN discussions for anything not covered. Of course feel free to ask here too; my setup of SCCM itself is about 95% complete and ready for new network, moved onto security/AD stuff not related currently.

Thank Post
    I followed it for our RTM install of 2012, but 'adjusted' accordingly, when items differed from what I needed for the install. And anything that wasn't outlined, I have used my google-fu and know-how, and the good-folk at windowsn00b and here have helped along the way.

All in all, a good write-up, but meant for a lab, any proper production install is going to be tailored to fit the system in hand.

Our one site system runs on a dual proc dell 2950 with 4GB of RAM, and we use SCCM,SCDPM and SCVMM. This is connected to a DAS shelf on an R700 over ISCSI to provide the storage for DPM and the rest is local, plus 2 standalone LTO4 tape drives, giving us 3TB a night backup capacity(compressed, so not quite that much, depending on type of data). We also have SCCM distribution points on the 2008R2 servers at our remote sites, providing PXE to those sites. A secondary SCDPM server sits off-site (10MB BTNet there and 100MB BTNet here, as boy do those servers talk, throttled during business hours of course! Firewall is at 188GB total out at this moment in time, and that's since last reboot, which wasn't long ago)and keeps a secondary copy of the main site DPM data, for disaster recovery purposes, this is mainly our virtual machines, which we can restore to running VM's on another DAS shelf there. Lots of TB sitting doing nothing, but JUST IN CASE, I want to be able to say to the boss, yes of course, we will back up and running in a few hours, depending on the time it takes to restore the VM's, which are both Windows and Linux.

Sorry for the explanation, but it will give people ideas to how good these systems are for the EES money(I use good loosely, as its not entirely perfect, which users of it will know!)

James

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Over on my blog I did a run through of the 2007 process, and am working on a 2012 version. My blog.... EduGeek.net - TheScarfedOne - Blogs

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    tried to follow your blog but couldnt quite translate it into 2012 settings etc.

if one of you could point me to the right section on windowsn00b please for the PXE stuff ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The biggest misunderstanding I had on setting 2012 up was the idea of Boundaries and Boundary Groups.

You have to define at least one of each before software will be distributed (You can get the client out, but it can't find the distribution point for further distribution, so everything sits at 0%).

As the boundary is always just going to be your school the boundary group just includes the one boundary that you set up.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Our school is split site, so we have 2 boundaries under one group. Makes distribution to one, the other or both a doddle

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Yes, my install is mostly a run through of those plus .... feel free to ask here too...
    if you could point me to the right section on windowsn00b please for the PXE stuff ?

Thank Post
    I used the windows noob guide to set up 2012 sucessfully.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    using SCCM 2012 RC in a LAB - Part 4. Configuring Client Settings and adding roles - Configuration Manager 2012 - Release Candidate - www.windows-noob.com

and

using SCCM 2012 RC in a LAB - Part 7. Build and Capture Windows 7 X64 - Configuration Manager 2012 - Release Candidate - www.windows-noob.com

PXE is part of the distribution point role - any settings that need changing for PXE are done by right clicking distribution point role in administration and going to properties. Settings there for normal PXE, multicasting, usual DHCP/BOOTP options etc.

11. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

RabbieBurns (8th July 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread