+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Deploying appv client via command line.... in Technical; Someone help me out here as i appear to be failing, the pre-reqs install, the client installs but when i ...
    Thank Post

Deploying appv client via command line....

Someone help me out here as i appear to be failing, the pre-reqs install, the client installs but when i login and attempt to load the client it gives me an error about connecting to localhost and attempting to enter the "published servers" gives an MMC error, here's my batch file:
    Code:
    IF EXIST "%programfiles(x86)%" (GOTO 64-Bit) ELSE (GOTO 32-Bit)

:32-Bit
    ECHO 32-Bit O/S detected
    msiexec.exe /i "\\fs1\programinstaller\appv client deployment\AppVClient\setup32.msi" SWICACHESIZE="6144" SWIPUBSVRDISPLAY="AppMgmtServ" SWIPUBSVRTYPE="RTSP" SWIPUBSVRHOST="AppMgmtServ" SWIPUBSVRPORT="554" SWIPUBSVRPATH="/" SWIPUBSVRREFRESH="on" SWIGLOBALDATA="C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Application Virtualization Client\" SWIUSERDATA="%AppData%" SWIFSDRIVE="Q" /q
    GOTO END

:64-Bit
    ECHO 64-Bit O/S detected
    msiexec.exe /i "\\fs1\programinstaller\appv client deployment\AppVClient\setup64.msi" SWICACHESIZE="6144" SWIPUBSVRDISPLAY="AppMgmtServ" SWIPUBSVRTYPE="RTSP" SWIPUBSVRHOST="AppMgmtServ" SWIPUBSVRPORT="554" SWIPUBSVRPATH="/" SWIPUBSVRREFRESH="on" SWIGLOBALDATA="C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Application Virtualization Client\" SWIUSERDATA="%AppData%" SWIFSDRIVE="Q" /q
    GOTO END
    Now first of all i should probably mention all the above are generally the "default" settings of the client, they worked and appear to work ok so i've just left it at that, but if anyone can suggest any more suitable settings then feel free, but first of all why is that not working? I've coped those parameters from the microsoft site and just changed the values.

EDIT: Just tried the ^%HOMEDRIVE^% bit from microsofts default parameteres as the SWIUSERDATA bit and tried removing the SWIPUBSVRPATH from the paramaters altogether as they say that's only required for HTTP but still no joy, this is mildly frustrating.
    Last edited by mrbios; 5th July 2012 at 12:32 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    The percent signs for AppData in SWIUSERDATA haven't been escaped using the ^ character i.e.

Code:
    SWIUSERDATA="%AppData%"
    should be...

Code:
    SWIUSERDATA="^%AppData^%"
    Source: Microsoft

Edit. Too slow.
    Last edited by Arthur; 5th July 2012 at 12:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Tried it both ways just incase but no luck

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Have you tried setting the Windows Installer properties using an MST instead of via the command line?

Probably won't make much of a different though.

Thank Post
    I "might" have just found what I've been doing wrong, i forgot about this:
    msiexec /i dw20shared.msi APPGUID={valuefromtable} REBOOT=Suppress REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus

Where the GUID has to be the GUID of the application specific to 64 or 32bit, I've been trying to use the 64bit GUID on 32bit machines, could this cause that issue? Sorting it now though as it's relatively easy....one question though....

Does it have to be like this:
    msiexec /i dw20shared.msi APPGUID={DB9F70CD-29BC-480B-8BA2-C9C2232C4553} REBOOT=Suppress REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus
    OR like this:
    msiexec /i dw20shared.msi APPGUID=DB9F70CD-29BC-480B-8BA2-C9C2232C4553 REBOOT=Suppress REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus

?

Thank Post
    This is what my full startup script (i wonder if this is part of my problem, that it's a startup script) looks like:
    Code:
    msiexec /i "\\fs1\programinstaller\appv client deployment\vcredist2005_x86\vcredist.msi" /quiet
    msiexec /i "\\fs1\programinstaller\appv client deployment\vcredist2008_x86\vc_red.msi" /quiet

IF EXIST "%programfiles(x86)%" (GOTO 64-Bit) ELSE (GOTO 32-Bit)

:32-Bit
    ECHO 32-Bit O/S detected
    msiexec.exe /i "\\fs1\programinstaller\appv client deployment\AppErrReport\dw20shared32.msi" APPGUID={DB9F70CD-29BC-480B-8BA2-C9C2232C4553} REBOOT=Suppress REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus /q
    msiexec.exe /i "\\fs1\programinstaller\appv client deployment\AppVClient\setup32.msi" SWICACHESIZE="6144" SWIPUBSVRDISPLAY="AppMgmtServ" SWIPUBSVRTYPE="RTSP" SWIPUBSVRHOST="AppMgmtServ" SWIPUBSVRPORT="554" SWIPUBSVRREFRESH="on" SWIGLOBALDATA="C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Application Virtualization Client\" SWIUSERDATA="^%HomeDrive^%\Windows\Application Virtualization Client" SWIFSDRIVE="Q" /q
    GOTO END

:64-Bit
    ECHO 64-Bit O/S detected
    msiexec.exe /i "\\fs1\programinstaller\appv client deployment\AppErrReport\dw20shared64.msi" APPGUID={342C9BB8-65A0-46DE-AB7A-8031E151AF69} REBOOT=Suppress REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus /q
    msiexec.exe /i "\\fs1\programinstaller\appv client deployment\AppVClient\setup64.msi" SWICACHESIZE="6144" SWIPUBSVRDISPLAY="AppMgmtServ" SWIPUBSVRTYPE="RTSP" SWIPUBSVRHOST="AppMgmtServ" SWIPUBSVRPORT="554" SWIPUBSVRREFRESH="on" SWIGLOBALDATA="C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Application Virtualization Client\" SWIUSERDATA="^%HomeDrive^%\Windows\Application Virtualization Client" SWIFSDRIVE="Q" /q
    GOTO END

:END

Thank Post
    I had previously just installed the separate components through regular GPO software install and use a custom ADM/ADMX file to control the settings, this worked fine. Now I just use SCCM and set the dependancies to get the other items installed first. Do you really need to use a start up script?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    I had previously just installed the separate components through regular GPO software install and use a custom ADM/ADMX file to control the settings, this worked fine. Now I just use SCCM and set the dependancies to get the other items installed first. Do you really need to use a start up script?
    I don't need to, it just felt like the quickest method to get it deployed.

Do you still have the ADM/ADMX for the settings? Admittedly though apart from not taking the parameters i've set it's working and installing correctly, just frustrating that i've hit a wall on the final hurdle as it were.

Thank Post
    You can get them from here: Downloads | Login Tools | Login Consultants you have to register but it's worth it. There is few other free APP-V based tools worth downloading as well like ACDC. I use it all the time from a share to fix issues it doesn't need to be installed.

10. 2 Thanks to ChrisH:

mrbios (5th July 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread