+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, SharePoint 2010 and movign to a new farm in Technical; In a situation where it may be easier and more preferable to create a new farm and "hopefully" restore all ...
    Thank Post

SharePoint 2010 and movign to a new farm

In a situation where it may be easier and more preferable to create a new farm and "hopefully" restore all of our data and sites from the old farm in to the new one. But I am in new ground here and not sure if its possible to create a new farm and site collection then restore from a backup. Has anyone done this before? All I want is our content and sites that we have created over the years to be restored.
    Last edited by HMCTech; 2nd July 2012 at 02:29 PM.

Thank Post
    I've just logged on to ask the same! I nee to transfer a bit of content from our old Sharepoint 2007 VLE to the current SP2010 one and wondered if anyone could recommend any decent software to do it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexPilot View Post
    In a situation where it may be easier and more preferable to create a new farm and "hopefully" restore all of our data and sites from the old farm in to the new one. But I am in new ground here and not sure if its possible to create a new farm and site collection then restore from a backup. Has anyone done this before? All I want is our content and sites that we have created over the years to be restored.
    Done similar before - we're currently in the middle of migrating content between two 2010 farms.

Attach databases and upgrade to SharePoint Server 2010 should help. Never had any trouble with it, except for the known losses: Migration Ugliness - SharePoint 2010 Content Migration Limitations - SharePoint Joel's SharePoint Land

If you want the simpler option, a backup-restore is much easier to run through and should work without any problems (again, I've never had any in the past). Just a handful of stsadm commands.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread