+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Sharepoint 2010 List issues in Technical; Hopefully i've posted this in the right section! I have an issue with my Sharepoint 2010 setup, where all lists ...

Thank Post

Sharepoint 2010 List issues

Hopefully i've posted this in the right section!

I have an issue with my Sharepoint 2010 setup, where all lists fail to be created, and it just brings up some stupidly long error code! Existing lists cannot be viewed, but yet I can seem to add new items to the list and view them individually fine. This even happens when I am logged in as the Site Collection Admin account. I am pretty sure it never used to happen, and the error occurs on all sites within the collection. I'm pretty new to Sharepoint so please bear with me!

Any help is appreciated

Regards
    Marc

Thank Post
    Have you got all your workflows activated in Site Features and Site Collection features? What is the error exactly? If you have not turned off versioning your list content may need approving. Go to your list and edit it's properties and check all the settings, i.e. permissions, versioning etc.
    Last edited by Singist; 19th June 2012 at 09:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Which ones exactly? As far as I know I have never turned any of these off. Within Site Features there only 2 not activated: PerformancePoint Services Site Features - Report Server File Sync. As for Site collection features: Content Type Syndication Hub, Custom Site Collection Help, PerformancePoint Services Site Collection Features. Are the only ones turned off. I don't think any of them are related?

The error message is either: Unexpected error - Correlation ID: f12a7b87-eccc-446a-8467-a76e7d606b20 -
    OR List doesn't exist, and another long Correlation ID

Thankyou for your responce. Any other sugestions?

Thank Post
    What permissions have these lists got? Go to Site Settings>Site Libraries & Lists> select your list and have a look at versioning (turn that and content approval off), then look at the permissions for your list, make sure they are inheriting from parent or select the correct permissions (it will tell you if it is inheriting in the yellow bar above).

Thank Post
    Ok so here's the weird bit then...
    I have checked the permissions and versioning and all are already set as they should be
    What I didn't realise is that the lists work perfectly fine on all pages, EXCEPT the parent page, which doesn't make sence as I would have thought the lower sites would also inherit the issue.

After creating the needed list on the parent page, the error appears, yet I can easily go into All Site Content and use the list like normal, it just won't show on the first page, which is where it is needed. Hope that makes sence!

Regards

Thank Post
    Hmm it sounds like all your lists and libraries and sub sites have got their own permissions and your parent site permissions are different. If you open the permissions on any list do you get the option to click on 'Home' or parent site to have a look at the permissions? (if they are inheriting). If you go to the parent site can you see this message above in a yellow box?

'Some content on this site has unique permissions which
    are not controlled from this page.
    Show me uniquely secured content '

You could add a new user/group into the permissions for your list and add your admin user/pass. Please also check that anonymous access for entire site is on. Sorry if this is a daft question, but is site published after adding the list?
    Last edited by Singist; 19th June 2012 at 11:55 AM.

Thank Post
    I've checked and double checked permissions, they are deffinitely set to inherit from 'Staff' - which is the Site Parent. The yellow ribbon also appears on each one of them. Something's not quite right somewhere! As for annonymous access, it's now enabled and added. (Done from the Central Admin, and then within site permissions). It doesn't seem to have made any difference to the issue though.

The site is internal, and there's pretty much only me working on it, so everything goes straight live at the minute. Obviously this will change in time, but i'm a lone ranger on this project, hence searching on here for help This list issue is pretty much the last thing that needs resolving before I make it available to all staff, but without the lists it looses SP looses one of it's useful features. Any other ideas at all?

Regards

Thank Post
    It doesnt look like permissions you would get a permission related error. Can you replicate the error and check your log file forthe correlation id and see what it says. You may find a more descriptive error code than generic "somethings wrong".

You could also disable friendly error codes in your web config to show the nitty gritty errors when they appear.
    A Point For Sharing On SharePoint Server (2007, 2010): Turning off friendly errors in MOSS

Be careful when editing web.config always make sure you have a backup!

Good luck!
    Chris

Thank Post
    Hi Chris, cheers for the reply!
    Problem is now solved Not 100% sure what went wrong, but it seemed to be a certain webpart that I had imported pretty much broke the rest of the site. I literally stripped the site and rebuilt the parts and noticed straight away when I brought this particular webpart in nothing worked after. i'm suprised it wasn't noticed earlier. How do you go around backing up all your content etc? There's only me using it at the minute but seriously need to look into it in more detail. The one built into SharePoint isn't exactly great, and other firms seem to charge a fortune!

Cheers for the tip on friendly errors, will look into it

Regards
    Marc

Thank Post
    Dont loose faith in the inbuilt sharepoint backup features they are powerful and have saved my bacon more than once. You should be doing a full farm backup on regular basis if you are running custom solutions etc.

Without knowing your farm layout its hard for me to give you a full answer but weekly I have a schedule to run the command.

Powershell.exe &'D:\Scripts\BackupFarm.ps1'

and inside the ps1 file is the line:

Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell -erroraction SilentlyContinue
    Backup-SPFarm -Directory "BACKUP DIRECTORY" -BackupMethod full

This does require some setting up because if you have more than one server in your farm your admin accounts requires permision to read the database and save to a shared folder if you go down that route. Be aware that a full farm backup locks sharepoint into read mode while it does its magic so dont do it during peak usage.

If you want to backup indevidual sites or site collections there are a whole suite of commands available to you. Try playing with powershell its very powerfull and at the same time very scary! What ever you do dont pay a company to backup sharepoint for you its not that difficult to implement. Pay them to store it somewhere safe!

Any questions let me know I would be happy to help!

Chris

11. Thanks to ChrisCarr from:

marc87 (26th June 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread