+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, iRIS Connect - Teacher CPD lesson Ob software in Technical; I was wondering if any schools have got this software in their school at the moment and would be able ...
    Thank Post

iRIS Connect - Teacher CPD lesson Ob software

I was wondering if any schools have got this software in their school at the moment and would be able to share your experiences with it.

We are having a demo of it and just want to be prepared thats all.

Thank Post
    Our deputy head went ahead and purchased it without any consultation from us in IT, luckily we have it working though, the auto uploader software is crap though I have told their tech support i want to trial the beta software as soon as it's ready for testing (config files stored in roaming appdata rather than local!) also it doesn't seem to auto upload from network shares if that's what you set the default save location to record to. Oh and I've asked them to put the software in MSI form...

Only thing other than the auto uploading software though was that we had to do a bit of jiggery with their tech guys so we could run it on any vlan and have it update the iris site automatically but apart from that setup was fine. The camera itself seems decent enough, and it seems fairly straight forward for the drones (teachers) to cope.
    Last edited by mrbios; 29th May 2012 at 04:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply, will see how the demo goes. I got told that an hour video takes about an hour to upload to the net and some schools have a dedicated laptop for this purpose where the files are saved to the local drive rather than a network store because storage is an issue here, i think i might be doing the same. We haven't got any vlans here, its one flat network. I also got told that their new camera (on recommended settings) takes about 200mb per hour.

Thank Post
    Just to add, we've gone down the route of buying a wireless AP setup as a client, connected to the camera, as otherwise you need an available network + power socket in every room you want to put the camera in to, don't know why they haven't implemented some sort of internal wireless capability on something costs that much money but hey ho Saves us having to worry about finding a network point for it everywhere it goes.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Just to add, we've gone down the route of buying a wireless AP setup as a client, connected to the camera, as otherwise you need an available network + power socket in every room you want to put the camera in.
    We don't have wireless coverage in school, but we're thinking of putting a hardwired switch with the camera kit much like you've done with the WAP, then at least they can just unplug the PC network cable and put it into the switch, and the switch into the wall socket where the PC was.

Tim, we had a demo about 3 weeks ago, and our Deputy Head definitely wants to go ahead but she wants to get three quotes so she (read: I) is currently looking for other solutions to quote against. Do you want to see if there's any discount for two NY schools purchasing together, if you are looking to proceed?

Peter

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info all of you. We're having a demo this afternoon too!

Thank Post
    I was fairly impressed by the iris system. Easy to use website for teachers, fairly simple setup of the camera (although we'd probably have to attempt a wireless solution).

Hefty price tag though and a subscription service rather than the Classwatch system which we have also looked at.

I'm still wondering if we can't come up with an in house system.

Thank Post
    I was just wondering if any one @howartp and @irritable Tech have got the iris connect equipment in the school?

I have it at the mo and im finding support aren't great about getting back to you imo.

The setup im going for is a laptop (as the software has to be configure on ALL machines you install it on and you have to get the users to fill out the authentication details with the proxy details, etc) the camera and possibly looking at getting a small 5 port, maybe usb powered desktop switch as this way the equipment will require 2 network sockets and as most of our classrooms have 2 sockets in 1 already been taken up with the teachers machine, this the best way. I have a single user on the laptop which has access to C: so the videos can be deleted at a later date. I'm yet to find a way to stop automatic upload after the observation has completed though.

I have tested a video with this cam and a 4 min video is about 18mb if that helps anyone.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    I was just wondering if any one @howartp and @irritable Tech have got the iris connect equipment in the school?

I have it at the mo and im finding support aren't great about getting back to you imo.

The setup im going for is a laptop (as the software has to be configure on ALL machines you install it on and you have to get the users to fill out the authentication details with the proxy details, etc) the camera and possibly looking at getting a small 5 port, maybe usb powered desktop switch as this way the equipment will require 2 network sockets and as most of our classrooms have 2 sockets in 1 already been taken up with the teachers machine, this the best way. I have a single user on the laptop which has access to C: so the videos can be deleted at a later date. I'm yet to find a way to stop automatic upload after the observation has completed though.

I have tested a video with this cam and a 4 min video is about 18mb if that helps anyone.
    Hi Tim,

We don't have it yet, but our Deputy Head asked me this week to put a reasoned statement together about why this is better than the others (or why they aren't as good) with the full intention of proceeding with it...

Can I ask why it is that you need support to get back to you? In other words, is there a problem with the kit/setup that I should be aware of before I allow her to proceed?

If you'd rather give me a ring or email, I think you already have my details.

Peter

Thank Post
    Hi mrbios

I know this is an old post, but will see how I get on!

We are looking at attaching a wireless AP to our iris, as it is a pain as you say having to plug it into a switch, unplug the PC etc.....

How are you getting on with the wireless setup?

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrowland2007 View Post
    Hi mrbios

I know this is an old post, but will see how I get on!

We are looking at attaching a wireless AP to our iris, as it is a pain as you say having to plug it into a switch, unplug the PC etc.....

How are you getting on with the wireless setup?

Cheers.
    Hi Paul,

It's working a treat, we use it in our science labs and main hall (music teacher doing rehearsals) and not had any issues with it over the wireless Obviously will depend on your wireless capabilities but even in areas where we haven't got decent managed wireless yet when it's going through old nasty D-Link independent APs its still worked wonderfully, and it's very easy to setup once your client AP is configured.

Thank Post
    Many thanks for the reply.

We have managed wireless across the site - so locations won't be a problem.

From our previous setup, I have a few old Netgear APs lying around, so will give it a go. I assume you just connected the camera AP in Ad-Hoc mode to the wireless.

Cheers.

Paul

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread