' on server isn't local' Which bothered me given that they'd been moved to the local system" /> Exchange 2010 + EXBPA (FYCQB14TVDLT)

+ Post New Thread
    Enterprise Software Thread, Exchange 2010 + EXBPA (FYCQB14TVDLT) in Technical; I was playing with an upgraded to (a single) 2010 system where there's a very slight touch of doubt about ...

Thank Post

Exchange 2010 + EXBPA (FYCQB14TVDLT)

I was playing with an upgraded to (a single) 2010 system where there's a very slight touch of doubt about the Public Folders. But everything works fine in user-land and I eventually thought I'd run the BPA just in case. It says unconditionally, on the non-default tab:

"The default public folder database is remote ... The default public folder database for mailbox database '' on server isn't local'

Which bothered me given that they'd been moved to the local system from another earlier Exchange box.. perhaps something about that hadn't quite worked? So I scoured the net, read this read that, spent half a lifetime poking about with ADSIEdit and so on getting nowhere - it, specifically where msExchHomePublicMDB was pointing, looked correct.

So finally I decided to look at the BPA XML to try and figure out what it was doing and it was essentially this:

Does the string "CN=PUBLIC FOLDER DB,CN=DATABASES,CN=EXCHANGE AD..." contain "CN=SERVERNAME,CN=SERVERS,CN=EXCHANGE AD..."

Which it clearly doesn't, and by and by I tried it on a fresh E2K10 VM and got the same error for the same reason: The BPA "local" rule is apparently testing whether the public folder path points to part of AD where it does not live on a (single) 2010 system... not on the orginal system... not on a new one... not on another I eventually got to check.

I have a feeling that if you've spent much time with PFs on Exchange 2010 (which I haven't) then this is one of those "Oh, didn't you know that?" things, but no I didn't and if it's on anyone's blog, in a forum or noted somewhere in some MSA blurb, then it's bleeping well hidden. But that's an aside - sanity checks are supposed to be sane surely?!?
      Last edited by PiqueABoo; 15th May 2012 at 09:13 AM.

SHARE: