+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Enterprise Software Thread, An urgent question, please help, in Technical; I'll see what I can do - where are you confused ? it's pretty simple! Originally Posted by midobashir cpjitservices, ...
    Thank Post
    I'll see what I can do - where are you confused ? it's pretty simple!

Quote Originally Posted by midobashir View Post
    cpjitservices, i've used Skeep VNC and its really amazing, but do you have any guide for it ? cuz im confused and stumble of using it and and i will be thankful for you

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by midobashir View Post
    cpjitservices, i've used Skeep VNC and its really amazing, but do you have any guide for it ? cuz im confused and stumble of using it and and i will be thankful for you

midobashir, I don't have experience with Skeep. Do take a look at our VNC Deployment Wizard. It supports deployment of the latest version of RealVNC/TightVNC/UltraVNC and allows configuration of wide array of settings.
    Please take a look here: www.s-code.com/products/vncmanager/

Thank Post
    how to deploy the packet to all users at the same time ? thats all i wanna know i installed it on my own computer which is join domain and i could see all OUs but i cant access them and i cant see the computers container as well, so i need a support from you

Regards,

Thank Post
    All you do is highlight all your machines in the OU and once configured...... hit deploy and it should ask for Admin credentials for your machines once you've done that it should work.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is a pretty useful thread. It could be more useful if the title reflected the content!

Thank Post
    you can use putty remote access software for the purpose
    its light and secure

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    One of the things to be careful of is justifying why you are monitoring the screens of others and ensuring that you have the instruction to do so from your employer. The laws about this vary across the world, but even if you look at it on an ethical level it is a good idea to be open with people about it.

Also remember that if this is to monitor children ... Act 16 United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.

"no child shall be subject to arbitrary or unlawful interference with his or her privacy….or correspondence"

And the exact interpretation of this will vary ... so be careful. Document what you are going to do and get backing from SLT.
    When I notice the Internet speed is suffering and look thru the internect connections and spot a child is by passing our proxy server via a video proxy avoidance service what can we do ?

When the staff member is supposed to be in charge of what the students are doing!
    Last edited by Davit2005; 18th April 2012 at 07:18 PM.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Davit2005 View Post
    When I notice the Internet speed is suffering and look thru the internect connections and spot a child is by passing our proxy server via a video proxy avoidance service what can we do ?

When the staff member is supposed to be in charge of what the students are doing!
    Which LEA are you with? I ask because we recently moved over to HGfL's filtering integrated with Active Directory. Using this we can filter pages locally and generate reports about Internet usage. We can get reports for and individuals' activity for a given date range [not sure how far back the history goes: Perhaps someone else here knows?] The reports do need some interpretation but it is the only solution we have and it has been called upon a couple of times since being deployed here.

Might be worth looking at or it might be worth investigating if your LEA offerers an equivalent product.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Which LEA are you with? I ask because we recently moved over to HGfL's filtering integrated with Active Directory. Using this we can filter pages locally and generate reports about Internet usage. We can get reports for and individuals' activity for a given date range [not sure how far back the history goes: Perhaps someone else here knows?] The reports do need some interpretation but it is the only solution we have and it has been called upon a couple of times since being deployed here.

Might be worth looking at or it might be worth investigating if your LEA offerers an equivalent product.
    Not with LEA solution (positives/negatives) :-?

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not with LEA solution (positives/negatives) :-?
    Negatives [comparing our situation with yours]

• Our solution is free [or more accurately comes with the support we are already buying from our LEA]
    • Can't think of any more negatives at the moment

Positives:

• Obtaining a commercially produced solution allows you to choose what features you have/don't have
    • I would expect a paid for solution to have a better interface, work better [have a better success rate when blocking pages] and have better reports than we have.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries

Note the key words ... arbitrary and unlawful. As part of your published day job (i.e. you have a job description) you are expected to investigate and deal with technical problems, which may involve traffic analysis. What you are doing is not subject to individual whim, but part of an established procedure. You are accountable for your actions. You are not just 'snooping' for gossip (for a very simplistic example).

Thank Post
    Note the key words ... arbitrary and unlawful. As part of your published day job (i.e. you have a job description) you are expected to investigate and deal with technical problems, which may involve traffic analysis. What you are doing is not subject to individual whim, but part of an established procedure. You are accountable for your actions. You are not just 'snooping' for gossip (for a very simplistic example).
    Will never pass on any findings or what I see to anyone I shouldn't and always respect end users privacy.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Will never pass on any findings or what I see to anyone I shouldn't and always respect end users privacy.
    No ... sorry, I probably didn't explain that fully. As part of your job you might come across things when trying to deal with something else. These things, if they are a concern, may need to be reported to others (bullying, illegal images, attempts to breach security, etc) but they should be reported to the relevant people as per your school procedures. You are not specifically going out looking for things and snooping on internet traffic or email for no reason whatsoever, but you come across things as part of your job. There may be times when you are required to investigate things (emails due to alleged bullying) but the ability to check these is generally automated (key word checks which flags questionable activity ... often tied in with other filtering / logging options) or is done on request of an authorised person at the school (which is part of a published procedure) and appropriately logged and is fully accountable.

A good example to equate this to would be the school's CCTV system. If you have a look through the wiki at the sample CCTV policy it will run down how to explain what you use the system for, how it is kept running and maintained, how people are authorised to request to look at the CCTV footage and how this gets logged.

The principles are pretty similar and with the changes due to The Education Act 2011 there are likely to be other examples of these principles being used (e.g. logging searches, etc). SWGfL and UK Safer Internet Centre are doing more work to look at that aspect of things so keep an eye on their sites, as well as the sticky on the eSafety forum for more resources.

Thank Post
    No ... sorry, I probably didn't explain that fully. As part of your job you might come across things when trying to deal with something else. These things, if they are a concern, may need to be reported to others (bullying, illegal images, attempts to breach security, etc) but they should be reported to the relevant people as per your school procedures. You are not specifically going out looking for things and snooping on internet traffic or email for no reason whatsoever, but you come across things as part of your job. There may be times when you are required to investigate things (emails due to alleged bullying) but the ability to check these is generally automated (key word checks which flags questionable activity ... often tied in with other filtering / logging options) or is done on request of an authorised person at the school (which is part of a published procedure) and appropriately logged and is fully accountable.

A good example to equate this to would be the school's CCTV system. If you have a look through the wiki at the sample CCTV policy it will run down how to explain what you use the system for, how it is kept running and maintained, how people are authorised to request to look at the CCTV footage and how this gets logged.

The principles are pretty similar and with the changes due to The Education Act 2011 there are likely to be other examples of these principles being used (e.g. logging searches, etc). SWGfL and UK Safer Internet Centre are doing more work to look at that aspect of things so keep an eye on their sites, as well as the sticky on the eSafety forum for more resources.
    I had issue at a previous workplace where a student user had somehow stumbled across image on the Internet which bypassed both the LEA's filtering and our own filtering system the image was however picked up by our system somehow that highlighted it. After speaking to my line manager in the utmost confidence I was asked to proceed and to get reports on trying to find where this image came from, what was clicked on or typed in search engines. I was then informed to pass this information onto a vice principle who dealt with child protection issues he dealt with it from there onwards. I believe I acted right and professional in this situation no one else was told about this instance.

Can I addI had to look through 45 pages of reports outputed by our filtering system and handed the whole report to the vice principal by hand.
    Last edited by Davit2005; 19th April 2012 at 08:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I had issue at a previous workplace where a student user had somehow stumbled across image on the Internet which bypassed both the LEA's filtering and our own filtering system the image was however picked up by our system somehow that highlighted it. After speaking to my line manager in the utmost confidence I was asked to proceed and to get reports on trying to find where this image came from, what was clicked on or typed in search engines. I was then informed to pass this information onto a vice principle who dealt with child protection issues he dealt with it from there onwards. I believe I acted right and professional in this situation no one else was told about this instance.

Can I addI had to look through 45 pages of reports outputed by our filtering system and handed the whole report to the vice principal by hand.
    Ideally, if you can have this sort of process down on paper as a workflow (and yes, before the collective members mention it, I know that you were just following common sense anyway) then it means that you can log down what you did, when, who authorised further investigation, etc. Also remember that if the image is questionable as to whether it is illegal or not then you should contact the police about it, but if it is isn't then you also need to be sure you are happy to continue in case you come across something *you* might find disturbing too. You cannot be forced to look at images which you might find disturbing.

The log is your audit trail in case anyone asks why you were looking at these images, as well as being helpful to the police if they need to take the investigation further.

The procedure / workflow / log is their to make sure you do the job the way it is needed to be done, but also to cover your backside in case you are accused or investigated for something.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast