+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Enterprise Software Thread, Whos using SCCM? in Technical; Found SCCM 2007 was a lot easier to install than SCCM 2005, remember all the fun I had with BITS ...

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Found SCCM 2007 was a lot easier to install than SCCM 2005, remember all the fun I had with BITS install on SCCM 2005, and just trying to get the client deploying. I do seem to have one issue though, I don't want the client installing on every workstaion it finds in AD.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davit2005 View Post
    Found SCCM 2007 was a lot easier to install than SCCM 2005, remember all the fun I had with BITS install on SCCM 2005, and just trying to get the client deploying. I do seem to have one issue though, I don't want the client installing on every workstaion it finds in AD.
    You can change the scope of your Discovery Methods in Site Management - Your Site - Site Settings - Discovery Methods and lock it down to certain OUs or Security Groups.

3. Thanks to ben604 from:

Davit2005 (23rd March 2012)

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ben604 View Post
    You can change the scope of your Discovery Methods in Site Management - Your Site - Site Settings - Discovery Methods and lock it down to certain OUs or Security Groups.
    Had created a Security Group in AD and added the computers I want SCCM to manage to that group while setting up SCCM, but also had an AD discovery going on aswell. I've deleted a few machines out of the collection both ones not in the security group and ones that belong to the security group. I shall wait with interest till Monday, unless I get completely bored over the weekend and remote in.
    Last edited by Davit2005; 23rd March 2012 at 01:34 PM.

Thank Post
    SCCM Licensing for clients is included in EES but not servers right?

Thank Post
    I swear by SCCM 2007 - its saved me a lot of work in the long run..

Got it running on my home network (sad I know but hey!) and its great for keeping my PCs up to date and for getting softawre to them all.

When I worked in the school I got it up and running and used it to great effect - it did everything, Software Distribution, OS Deployments, Software Updates, Reporting, Asset reporting and tracking. This was a godsend when it was up and running as I could schedule OS Builds by adding PCs to a dedicated collection based on the image (EG "Pupil Build - Reboot" would re-image any member machine the next time it was rebooted with a Pupil based image) and all machines could be manually rebuilt via F12. Had a small VBScript that would then remove the PC from that collection when the succes event code was triggered.

Would seriously recommend using it in Native Mode - there is a great TechNet article on how to create all the needed certificates, for all other aspects windows-noob is the best website to goto for information and guides..

Happy to help anyone if needed

Thank Post
    Just a quick question then - what are the benefits of deploying the OS with SCCM over say, FOG or another imaging solution?

Thank Post
    I'll need to give just a quick overview for now as I need to be getting off for an interview

Basically SCCM installs everything from scratch using Task Sequences (OS, Drivers, Pre-App updates, Applications, Post-App Updates, etc)
    It is Zero Touch meaning you dont need to go anywhere the machine to press F12, etc..

Can't speak for FOG, but WDS is a flat image based (OS Only or a captured image from a machine) installation
    MDT is similar to SCCM but is lite touch - meaning you still need to get to the PC to press F12.

Will go into a bit more detail later tonight

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also you can send out apps after the inital install with SCCM.

Thank Post
    Also you can send out apps after the inital install with SCCM.
    Yes if supported ( silent install / batch files / swicthes / MSI)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andydis View Post
    Yes if supported ( silent install / batch files / swicthes / MSI)
    Am i also rightin thinking it works like WSUS and you set them to install at a certain time etc?

Thanks

Thank Post
    yes completey customizable, if you have ever used mcafee EPO it works like that

for most of the work "agents" are installed on the windows machines, reporting back to the SCCM server lets sya every 15 mins.
    You can tell these agents to do alot of things! report how much ram , OS, update, install, near enough ANYTHING.

Im sure microsoft have a VHD you can download to have a play with as a trail that fits into a testbed, the do for SCVVM
    Last edited by andydis; 23rd March 2012 at 02:44 PM.

13. Thanks to andydis from:

FN-GM (23rd March 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andydis View Post
    yes completey customizable, if you have ever used mcafee EPO it works like that

for most of the work "agents" are installed on the windows machines, reporting back to the SCCM server lets sya every 15 mins.
    You can tell these agents to do alot of things! report how much ram , OS, update, install, near enough ANYTHING.

Im sure microsoft have a VHD you can download to have a play with as a trail that fits into a testbed, the do for SCVVM
    Thanks, will look for the VHD

Thank Post
    Download: System Center Configuration Manager 2012 Beta 2 - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

This download comes as a pre-configured Virtual Hard Disk (VHD). It enables you to evaluate System Center Configuration Manager 2012 Beta 2 on Windows Server 2008 R2.

Thank Post
    Any whispers of a release date for SCCM2012 yet?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not yet, they had a release webinar yesterday which didn't give any information. Still looking for first part of this year. Hopefully soon as we're going SCCM this summer.

For note, Forefront Endpoint Protection is an integral part of SCCM.

I had a little trouble getting it set up but have been using the guides over Portal - www.windows-noob.com also which have been excellent.

Also someone linked to the Beta2 VHD earlier - please note that it's now Release Candidate 2 with RTM probably within the next couple of months.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast