+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Veeam v6 Backup Jobs Slow in Technical; We have our new SAN (Dell Equalogic PS4100) All in and Running, tied to two Dell R170 ESX hosts all ...

Thank Post

Veeam v6 Backup Jobs Slow

We have our new SAN (Dell Equalogic PS4100) All in and Running, tied to two Dell R170 ESX hosts all on vSphere 5.
    Performance of the SAN is fine, and we are not noticing any real performance hit with it, nor is it recording any disk error problems.

We are trying to improve the backup speed of our Veeam Backup v6 jobs, which is very slow at the moment (not hitting any higher than 14-16MB/sec, with the bottleneck being recorded as 99% source (I presume that this means the SAN, is this is where the VM's of our servers are stored).

Our copy of Veeam 6 is installed on a VM running Server 2008 R2 x64, with two iSCSI targets setup and configured (one Netgear READYNAS 3200, and an old server - HP Proliant ML350 G5 running FreeNAS v8. Both these are being used as Backup Respoitories on Veeam 6). Both these are working fine, and we can copy data fine. Copying a 2GB ISO from the Server 2008 R2 VM to the FreeNAS tops out at again at about 14-16MB/sec...
    The FreeNAS box is not recording any disk issues, neither is the Netgear ReadyNAS, but both items reside outside of the iSCSI network running the SAN, and ESX hosts.

Would attaching the FREENAS, or ReadyNAS in someway into the servers/VM's iSCSI network improve performance at all? I would hope it would - also how would you go about it? From within Veeam, we can see the SAN volumes, and have tried all Storage connection modes within the Backup proxy settings. The Backup Proxy is residing on the same server running Veeam 6 (the Server 2008 R2 x64 VM).

Any ideas on how we can improve its performance?
    Regards,
    _techie_

Thank Post
    First thing to try is to setup an alternative proxy server and use that instead. Make sure you configure Veeam to use that rather than the automatic proxy selection. I noticed the performance improved when I did that here.

You may also want to install the following patch:

KB1442: Patch 3 Release Notes for Veeam Backup & Replication 6.0.0.153

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Gardinho; 5th March 2012 at 01:12 PM.

Thank Post
    We tried all of the following you mentioned, with no real improvement in speed. The only time the transfer speeded up, was when we ran the job for a second or third time. When we reached 100-200MB a sec.

However the volume of data being moved was much much less. Obviously this is fine, but really a speedier first time backup would be a real improvement. I am also concerned about the speed of restoration, on some of our bigger boxes, but will be looking at that tommorow.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Copying a 2GB ISO from the Server 2008 R2 VM to the FreeNAS tops out at again at about 14-16MB/sec...
    I read that as saying you only get 14-16MB/s when writing anything to your FreeNAS?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread