+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, BackupExec 2010 R3 getting "stuck" in Technical; Hi, I have an issue with BackupExec 2010 R3 getting "stuck" on jobs. The job runs and then gets to ...

Thank Post

BackupExec 2010 R3 getting "stuck"

Hi,

I have an issue with BackupExec 2010 R3 getting "stuck" on jobs. The job runs and then gets to a point where the status is "running" but nothing is actually happening. If I cancel it the status changes to "cancel pending" but it never disappears from the list. The only way I can get it to go is to reboot the server. It happens whether I back up to tape or HDD, with the tape it ejects it. It has been working fine and having no problems and all of a sudden it has started doing this. When I look at the job progress it gets stuck on the final server in the list. I've swapped the order round and it always stops on the final server. Everything else backs up OK. Usually once I've rebooted the server the next job I run works OK but then the second will get stuck. It's running on a Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise server.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Hi,

Have you checked the logs of where it's failing? I assume there is enough storage space on both disk and tape? Symantec support are good if you're able to raise a support case?

The only thing I've experienced and caused me issue is the job being stuck in a queued status, but pausing the device, disable/re-enable, then unpause get the job to recognise the the catalog. But my first point of call is try to investigate the error ID and code, and see if you can raise a support case with Symantec?

If not, paste them here.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Does the byte count stop? If so, I've had the same issue. Sorry to say I never got to the bottom of it. I had a case open with Symantec which got all the way to 3rd line support, countless analysing of logs and wireshark captures (over several months!) between remote server and media server didn't reveal what was causing the problem. They suspected either something on the server or some sort of network connectivity breakdown that BE couldn't recover from.

We did find a work around that wasn't too much of a problem given the choice between completing the backup or not.... Restart the remote server just before the backup runs and it would complete without stopping.

When you get the cancel pending.... you don't have to reboot the server to get past that. Kill the BE services (you also may have to kill the processes), restart them and the job will clear. Once you do that you won't be able to append data to the tape as killing the services means it doesn't write an end maker and you'll get "end marker unreadable" next to the tape.

Thank Post
    Hi,

Yes, there's enough space, I've posted on the Symantec support and hopefully might get something from there.

Adamf, this sounds exactly the same as I'm getting. Restarting the server sounds about right as I've found the first job after a reboot always works OK. I did try killing the services when it first happened and a couple of them just got stuck at "stopping". Thanks, I'll see if I get any luck with Symantec.

Thank Post
    Hmmm, someone from Symantec suggested going into tools, options, preferences and ensuring that "Automatically display new alerts" is ticked. This wasn't ticked. I ticked it and a job from last night that appeared to be "stuck" has now completed. Surely it's not just that. If so, one, why do jobs complete after a reboot and two, how did it get unticked in the first place?

Thank Post
    Everything is working now, last nights ran fine so it seems it was that little tick box as daft as it sounds.

Thank Post
    Thats great :-) I know sometimes BE has an issue detecting the media if its not setup right but I assume yours is?

Well hopefully it'll stay like that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread