+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Backup Exec problems in Technical; We are running Symantec Backup Exec on Windows Server 2008, and it is set up to do a daily incremental ...

Thank Post

Backup Exec problems

We are running Symantec Backup Exec on Windows Server 2008, and it is set up to do a daily incremental backup Mon-Thu, with a full weekly backup on Friday. However, every backup fails with the error: "The job was cancelled because the response to the media alert was Cancel, or because the alert was configured to automatically respond with Cancel, or because the Backup Exec Job Engine service was stopped". I've looked on Symantec website, and all they say is to make sure the tape is set so it can be overwritten, which it is.

Thank Post
    A couple of questions...

- Have the tapes been allocated to the correct media set e.g. Daily Differential or Weekly Full, and not been left within "Scratch"?

- Has the service stopped as suggested? Along the bottom of the Backup Exec window, you should see a little green circle indicating that the service is running normally. If it isn't, it will instead display a red x. Double click, and choose to restart the service. Now attempt to re-try the backups, and see if this resolves issues.

Hope this is of some help.

London_Geek

Thank Post
    Thanks for your reply. Firstly, the backup was 100% successful last night. I only started here last Thursday and it's the first time it's been successful but it's also the first time I've use the Monday tape.

On the job setup window, it says WEEKLY and DAILY, but how do I check whether they're differential and full?

At the bottom of the Backup Exec window, there is an icon that when hovered over brings up the message "All services are running".

Thank Post
    It appears we're in the same boat; I've only been looking after the backups here for the past couple of weeks.
    Good to hear that your backups were successful last night.

To check the type of backups running, go to...

Job Setup > Policies > Double Click on your active policy > Click "Yes" to change the policy for the specified back.

I assume within here you'll be able to see both your Daily and Weekly templates; Double click on the Daily > Settings > General > Backup Method.
    Here you should see a drop-down menu that will enable you to select whether the backups are run in Full, Differential, Incremental etc.

London_Geek

Thank Post
    There are 2 policies, so I am not sure which is active. One has daily incremental, weekly full and monthly full backups, the other has full back up, incremental back up, and scheduled back up duplicate. I'm guessing it's the latter one although I'm not sure. However, the schedule for this looks weird. The incremental one is set to run every day, and the weekly full is on a saturday. It doesn't match the schedules of the jobs that have been setup.

Thank Post
    Another 100% completed backup last night.

Thank Post
    Hi Kineas,

Sorry, I've only just got back to checking my emails and saw that you'd replied twice!!
    That's fantastic that the backups now seem to be working.
    Out of curiosity, was it only a single nights backups that produced the aforementioned error, or a series of days?

Keep running with what you have at the moment, and see if all continues OK for the mid-week tasks.
    Fingers crossed it looks like these are fine.

Are you able to check back through the Job History to see if previous WEEKLY FULL tasks have failed also?
    It may be that there is an issue pertinent to the Policies specific to this backup...

London_Geek

Thank Post
    Backup was successful again. The job monitor history was deleted, but there were a lot of alerts that hadn't been cleared from passed backups. I know the school had gone without a technician for a little while between when the previous one left and I started so I'm guessing no one was putting the tapes in during that time. Anyway, I'll see how tonights backup has gone in the morning because it was last Thursdays that failed.

Thank Post
    Sounds to me like you've probably figured out what the issue was. Glad to hear all appears to be working ok now.

London_Geek

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread