+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Enterprise Software Thread, Some Backup Exec 2010 R2 questions in Technical; I would go with both solutions, Tape and Disk based backup. A number of places I run have the D2D2T ...
    @ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    I would go with both solutions, Tape and Disk based backup.

A number of places I run have the D2D2T - Have a policy in backup exec to duplicate data once tape has ran - runs pretty well!

One of the other things I would recommend is getting a proper solution in place for tapes to be taken off-site, we use Recall to collect tape each week and works well, I wouldnt trust taking it home myself or giving it to anyone else!

Thank Post
    Highly recommend the upgrade to R3, R2 was a nightmare for us, some of the fixes in R3 were a god send.

Also it's certainly not intended as a layer of backup but to save yourself the hassle of having to do restores from tapes every time you have to restore something make sure you have volume shadow copies setup, they're fantastic in this place. Also highly recommend keeping your tapes in a fireproof safe in a separate building to your main racks. (haven't read any replies so don't know if you do all this, just thought i'd mention it anyway ) Periodic restoration tests are the last thing i'd recommend, it may say it has backed up and validated but don't always trust what the software tells you

Thank Post
    I would agree above, its very very rare I restore anything from tape from backup exec, Volume Shadow Copy is what i use to restore most things! :-)

Thank Post
    thanks for the info,
    i am really looking for something cheap, and simple that will stop the sql, and then do a backup of seleted areas, verify, and the restart sql, a bit like backupexec does now.
    i also have to consider that a none ict tech might have to log in, and check backup has worked, and size of backup time taken etc, so something a bit simpler may be helpful.
    internal drives ( tape) seem to be really expensive, but might have to go with this regardless.

thanks

Thank Post
    "i also have to consider that a none ict tech might have to log in, and check backup has worked, and size of backup time taken etc, so something a bit simpler may be helpful."

You can setup email notification backups which gives all these details.

Enterprise Support - Symantec Corp. - How to configure backup jobs to send notification using Backup Exec 9.x, 10.x, 11x, 12x and 2010 (includes SMTP configuration)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12