+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Enterprise Software Thread, TMG 2010: Someone Find me Something High to Jump Off in Technical; Originally Posted by Domino Or a gateway to Hell? Both need firewalling... I'll put it this way, I think the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,719 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Or a gateway to Hell? Both need firewalling...
    I'll put it this way, I think the nuclear bomb would need to be heavily blessed by the past three popes before being dropped from orbit in order to have any noticible effect.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well, I have now replaced TMG with ISA, we'll see if it really was TMG that was the cause of all the issues.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Was TMG a replacement for "ISA"?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As it happens my blame may have been misplaced, ISA is in and while it is working a little better there are still issues. There is 'something' wrong in the network and I have no idea where to even start looking. My only option may be to just point all the clients directly at the router and let them connect directly to see if that works.

Stupid internet, it would not be so bad except this school has decided to 'cloud' a bunch of their stuff therby putting all their most important stuff over the weakest possible link avalible. I really would like a chasum to open up and swallow various cloud datacenters around the world so that we can get back to a sane model that works rather than attempting to do the equvilent of pushing an elephant throught an unreliable bendy straw.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IanT View Post
    Was TMG a replacement for "ISA"?
    TMG = Forefront Threat Managment Gateway 2010 which was the replacement to ISA (Internet Security and Acceleration Server 2006), the whole line is comming to an end though to either be integrated into Windows Server itself or being pushed into the higher end and cost product Forefront Unified Access Gateway (UAG).

bio
    Thank Post
    I don't know if you have a contract (SLA) with the internet pipe owners ? perhaps packetloss ? let them do some measurements ? maybe fire up wireshark on several locations ?
    just some idea's here

bio..

7. Thanks to bio from:

SYNACK (22nd December 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bio View Post
    I don't know if you have a contract (SLA) with the internet pipe owners ? perhaps packetloss ? let them do some measurements ? maybe fire up wireshark on several locations ?
    just some idea's here

bio..
    Thanks, I'm thinking so. Wireshark is probably the next step along with opening up the SNMP stuff on the router (provider-owned) and seeing if that manages to give out any new information on the situation. Its just one of those dirty issues that is not easy to pin down and so a pain to resolve.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Right, after careful consideration and several months of troubleshooting I have decided that Microsoft TMG 2010 is an abortion of of product and MS should have decided to kill the line before releasing it.

I have tried it on a 2008 R2 VM, 2008 R2 physical host, 2008 physical host and reset it up a few times. Disables all inspection rules, gave it more RAM, implemented extencive logging rules etc.

Stupidly I still can't pin down the problems 100% to the dirty TMG box as there is a switch or two in the way that are dodgey but it seems to be the prolem of TMG.

Symptoms, continuously dropping packets and choking out internet connections for single clients for up to 15 minutes despite killing off flood mitigation settings and installing every hotfix avalible.

Balmer needs to be hit with his own flying chair, removing features from products and releasing tripe like TMG. If I can finally 100% pin it down to TMG I am going to push MS to refund our Volume liscence of it.
    Causing me nothing but trouble too... It was Viglen's answer to a question no-body asked!

All I want for Christmas is my own network without hindrance from a "one-size-fits-all" provider!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12