+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Forwarding to exchange account, any way to get server to save them? in Technical; Reet guys 'n gals this ones really pecking my head and I am hoping one of you can help me ...

Thank Post

Forwarding to exchange account, any way to get server to save them?

Reet guys 'n gals this ones really pecking my head and I am hoping one of you can help me with this.

Everyone in our school has an RM easymail account and we also have an exchange server with another domain. Our office staff use their easymail address which is automatically forwarded to the exchange server which, finally into their outlook account (which picks up the non RM domain mail).

We have just given them new workstations, and I presumed that exchange would have saved a copy of their messages with their mailbox account. In quite a few instances this isn't the case and we are having to fire up the old PC's and export/import .psts.

We have had a quick shooftie around the exchange settings and cannot find anything like "save a copy of messages on the server".

Could one one you kind people please point me where I should be looking, or even a tidier more failsafe method as I don't want to keep running around backing up their .psts!

Cheers in advance!

sdc
    Thank Post
    Are the Outlook clients configured to use POP3 to collect their email from the Exchange server? That might explain why the emails are 'downloaded' into Outlook, rather than simply viewed in Outlook. By default, using Outlook with Exchange, you should find the emails are stored on the Exchange server so that a user moving to another PC still sees all their Exchange-based email. They should also be visible via Oulook Web Access too.

3. Thanks to sdc from:

andyturpie (20th October 2011)

Thank Post
    SDC, thanks for the quick response, got to be honest my mail config experience is next to nil, we haven't manaually configured any client for POP3, but when opening outlook for the first time we point it to the the exchange server and the appropriate account?

Even though this persons mail is forward to the exchange server, I would presume that a copy is left on the server so in the event of a new machine or rebuild, then the mailbox is pulled down each time?

sdc
    Thank Post
    Yes, you're right, that's how it should work by default. I've just had a very quick look (and will look in more detail shortly) at my config here, and with a Microsoft Exchange email account configured in Outlook, I can't immediately see why the emails are not being retained on Exchange. Can you try Outlook Web Access on an existing, not-yet-swapped PC to see if the emails that are in Outlook are also on the server?

Thank Post
    Thanks, with OWA, we cannot check within the school network for some reason (I don't know if this is common or just a config error). But I will see if we can do some checks later!

sdc
    Thank Post
    OK, I think I may have a solution for you - check your Outlook settings (Account settings) - there's an option to have email delivered to the local .PST file only. You want to change this so that email's delivered to the Inbox for the user's account on the Exchange server. The only reason I can think for having it configured to store locally would be due to lack of disk space on the server. If this is no concern, I can't see why you shouldn't change it back to the more standard way of working.

8. Thanks to sdc from:

andyturpie (20th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks will check that out, TBH the exchange server has around 20 active accounts and originally only bought as a method to allow the head and PA to calander share!

Will let you know how we get on

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sdc View Post
    OK, I think I may have a solution for you - check your Outlook settings (Account settings) - there's an option to have email delivered to the local .PST file only. You want to change this so that email's delivered to the Inbox for the user's account on the Exchange server. The only reason I can think for having it configured to store locally would be due to lack of disk space on the server. If this is no concern, I can't see why you shouldn't change it back to the more standard way of working.
    This is most likely the cause of the issue.. By defaultit should deliver to the mailbox when you configur a prfile, it' seems to be going to a PST.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread