+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Exchange 2007 - IP Block List Providers in Technical; Right, I have no idea where I'm going wrong here now. Using Exchange 2007 (vanilla, and not worth SPing - ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 852 Posts
    Blog Entries

Exchange 2007 - IP Block List Providers

Right, I have no idea where I'm going wrong here now. Using Exchange 2007 (vanilla, and not worth SPing - upgrading to 2010 soon on 2008R2/Hyper-V) and I have the anti-spam agents set up, which do work - content filtering and everything else does its thing quite happily.

The exception to this is the IP Blocklist Providers - I've added zen.spamhaus.org (and bl.spamcop.net) but running the test (Crynwr spam blocking resources) gives me no joy at all.

Any clues on what I'm missing? It's the sole Exchange Server, Hub Transport, works quite happily otherwise, just this won't stick, whether I use the EMC or the EMS.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I could be totally wrong but I think that those only apply on a edge server role unless you tweak something to run spam rules on the transport role as it was meant mostly for internal use and offloaded all the filtering stuff to the edge role without the aforemeantioned tweak.

Found:
    Enable Anti-Spam Functionality on a Hub Transport Server: Exchange 2010 SP1 Help
    Install Ant-Spam Agents on Hub Transport Role (Single Server Setup)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I could be totally wrong but I think that those only apply on a edge server role unless you tweak something to run spam rules on the transport role as it was meant mostly for internal use and offloaded all the filtering stuff to the edge role without the aforemeantioned tweak.

Found:
    Enable Anti-Spam Functionality on a Hub Transport Server: Exchange 2010 SP1 Help
    Install Ant-Spam Agents on Hub Transport Role (Single Server Setup)
    Already done, as mentioned - all the content filtering rules etc. work fine, it's just this specific anti-spam agent that is ignoring me. I wondered if it might be to do with the fact it's a single server set up, as I know that does affect some things, but it seems odd that all the other anti-spam rules kick in but this one does nothing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Restarted the hub transport role since adding them to the config? Some of the changes there only apply after a restart of the whole service.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Restarted the hub transport role since adding them to the config? Some of the changes there only apply after a restart of the whole service.
    I can try later, but the anti-spam agents must have been on that server at least 6 months now, during which time the server itself has been powered down a number of times (due to work on our electrical supply) so it should have had a sufficient kick by this point

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Justa thought, your mail is going right to your server from an external MX record right, not via an inbound SMTP provider like a SMTP filtering gateway provided by you LA or upstream provider. If so an IP block list would be pointless as it will only see your upstream providers IP rather than the originating IP.

7. Thanks to SYNACK from:

sonofsanta (18th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Justa thought, your mail is going right to your server from an external MX record right, not via an inbound SMTP provider like a SMTP filtering gateway provided by you LA or upstream provider. If so an IP block list would be pointless as it will only see your upstream providers IP rather than the originating IP.
    Er - that might be it - we use our ISP's smarthost as our MX record and it passes it down to us. Bit daft that they apparently haven't implemented a DNSBL though...

I even have a sneaking suspicion that I arrived at this conclusion at the start of the year when I was first looking at it. I am more than ready for the half term week at this point.

Tah!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread