+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, hosting external email on exchange in Technical; Ok - I am sorry if this is a dumb question but here goes ; Environment (SVR 2008 R2 domain ...

Thank Post

hosting external email on exchange

Ok - I am sorry if this is a dumb question but here goes ;

Environment (SVR 2008 R2 domain with XP SP3 Clients)

We have pop3 email accounts that our teachers use. I have been asked if they can have outlook. So far not a problem.
    The problem is they have roaming profiles and want the email to follow them. As far as I know Microsoft dont recommened hosting pst files on servers. I know people have done it but I dont want to create 100 pst files on the server and then have problems as they grow larger because users dont clean them out.
    i have an Exchange Server licence so can I use this to "host" the pop3 accounts and keep control of the sizes? Maybe "host" isnt the right word but I hope you understand what I mean!!

Thank Post
    Why are you using pop for a first of, if it is Exchange you can use Outlook Web Access or setup Outlook to talk to the Exchange server.

Thank Post
    Exchange is not set up but I have a licence for it. We are using pop3 as that is what our email host (gaggle.net) uses. Can this be linked to outlook web access? I don't have much experience with using exchange (not since 5.5 days).

Thank Post
    I think you can get it to download POP and put them into mailboxes then allowing you to use the Exchange functionality but do not quote me on it as I am not 100% sure and I haven't got Exchange setup in my test environment yet to look and we have just got rid of it at the office and moved to a managed system! If it can you can then use OWA.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    I think you can get it to download POP and put them into mailboxes then allowing you to use the Exchange functionality but do not quote me on it as I am not 100% sure and I haven't got Exchange setup in my test environment yet to look and we have just got rid of it at the office and moved to a managed system! If it can you can then use OWA.
    Yes, Exchange can download POP. You attach the pop accounts within exchange to the user. Working with roaming profiles it simply follows the user around. Got it setup on a 2003 SBS.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Only the version of Exchange that has a built in pop connector is the one that comes with SBS, the full version of Exchange does not have it built in.

Thank Post
    Can it work with full exchange with an external 3rd party connector?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes but it is a massive hack, you are hugely better off just to point the mail domain right at Exchange and let it manage the whole lot. POP conectors are a massive hack, introduce much more complexity and delays between reciving emails. I have had a setup like this and it is just not worth it. Manage your own email or don't, the inbetween stuff is a nightmare.

Thank Post
    So by keeping our current email providor there is no way for me give my users outlook and retain control of mailbox sizes? People have said they Just keep pst files on the server but I don't know if that's abgood idea as Microsoft don't recommend it.
    Last edited by fiza; 6th October 2011 at 08:10 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you have Exchange then using a cack external provider is kind of a downlevel solution but i guess you could try pushing out a reg file to limit the size of their PSTs
    How to configure the size limit for both (.pst) and (.ost) files in Outlook 2010, Outlook 2007, and in Outlook 2003

Email Archiving - Mailbox Size: Best Practices for Microsoft's Exchange Server IT Support Services – Seattle – Seitel Systems, LLC – 206.832.2820

Max. File size of each file stored under Outlook Inbox

http://www.interworks.com/blogs/dhol...t-your-mailbox

again a total hack but if that is what you need it should allow you a greater level of control. PSTs on a network share can have nasty issues especially if using offline files on laptops.

Thank Post
    We dont use offline files and the users only roam around the school from class to class and want their email to follow them.

Thank Post
    As above I wouldn't waste much time trying to get pop to exchange setup, once exchange is up and running all you'd need to do to move the mail flow is get port 25 forwarded from a static public IP straight to your exchange box(with SMTP running on it) and then get your MX records changed to point to that IP. Then it'd be a case of importing the mail from your external provider and advising them that you no longer require their services

beware though that exchange is a rather hungry bit of software on the memory front. If you have a large number of teachers I'd make sure the server spec is up to the job whether you're going for POP-Exchange or just Exchange.

James

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info - I cant say goodbye to the external email provider as it is ordained that we use this provider by our version of the Local Authority.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    Thanks for the info - I cant say goodbye to the external email provider as it is ordained that we use this provider by our version of the Local Authority.
    No room to co-opt the managment of your school to tell the LA to stick their inferior solution. So often these large projects cater right to the lowest common denominator and leave you at the mercy of 20 year old tech.

Thank Post
    Agree with the above, Exchange isn't really designed for POP3, SMTP is the way forward. There is no way of giving your users what they need because your management have said that yu must use this provider. Tell them simply they cant unless you bring email in house, i.e Exchange.

Do not use PST files on shared drives, not supported at all and they will cause you issues, trust me, you will then have more issues to deal with, possibly financial/security. PST are long gone, dont go back there, too many cons than pros.

Move over to Exchange/MAPI/HTTP or your users carry on as they are.

Dont waste your time with a POP connector, as mentioned too much agro.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread