+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Enterprise Software Thread, Live@edu partial migration from Exchange 2007 in Technical; I am about to embark on moving from exchange 2007 to Live@edu. My question is can I migrate all the ...
  1. #1
    pooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    S Wales
    Posts
    1,110
    Thank Post
    75
    Thanked 111 Times in 93 Posts
    Rep Power
    65

    Live@edu partial migration from Exchange 2007

    I am about to embark on moving from exchange 2007 to Live@edu.

    My question is can I migrate all the pupils and leave the staff (temporarily) on the Exchange box.

    Both staff and pupils have the same email domain = @school.org.uk

    I can find documentation on migrating all users but not a hybrid setup.

    Any help appreciated.

    Thanks

    Si

  2. #2
    pooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    S Wales
    Posts
    1,110
    Thank Post
    75
    Thanked 111 Times in 93 Posts
    Rep Power
    65
    Ignore me, I found it

  3. #3
    maark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    leicester
    Posts
    459
    Thank Post
    86
    Thanked 72 Times in 64 Posts
    Rep Power
    37
    came across this yesterday whilst researching same topic Migrate a Subset of Mailboxes to the Cloud with a Staged Exchange Migration

  4. #4

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,881
    Thank Post
    1,316
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    563
    I've been looking at this for a while and got a tad frustrated when I was told by one person that they had no intention to finish the migration, but to leave staff on-site and students in the cloud, but still had all email routing via the onsite exchange box. Surely the idea is to stage the migration, not the location of the mailboxes. Has anyone tried to run it with staff on-site and students on Live@Edu for a long period of time?

  5. #5

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,465
    Thank Post
    524
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    575
    Moved to Enterprise Software Forum.

  6. #6

    RabbieBurns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,476
    Thank Post
    1,305
    Thanked 469 Times in 306 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I've been looking at this for a while and got a tad frustrated when I was told by one person that they had no intention to finish the migration, but to leave staff on-site and students in the cloud, but still had all email routing via the onsite exchange box. Surely the idea is to stage the migration, not the location of the mailboxes. Has anyone tried to run it with staff on-site and students on Live@Edu for a long period of time?
    We run staff onsite and students offsite, and we have no intentions to move staff to live@edu.

    We do however run the live@edu as a subdomain so the mail for the students never leaves the cloud.

  7. #7

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,881
    Thank Post
    1,316
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    563
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    We run staff onsite and students offsite, and we have no intentions to move staff to live@edu.

    We do however run the live@edu as a subdomain so the mail for the students never leaves the cloud.
    Sub-domains aren't a problem ... that's why DNS works the way it does. It is people trying to use the same domain to 2 services that creates an overly complicated system and, as we all know, the more complicated you make it the greater the chance of cock-ups.

  8. #8
    jamesbmarshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    454
    Thank Post
    24
    Thanked 204 Times in 142 Posts
    Rep Power
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    It is people trying to use the same domain to 2 services that creates an overly complicated system and, as we all know, the more complicated you make it the greater the chance of cock-ups.
    Using your local Exchange as a relay (or the cloud) is not a bad way to do it, it's fully supported and reliable (well, as reliable as the relay, read into that what you will when it comes to your own Exchange server). Lots of customers opt for this with no problems.

  9. #9
    MattGibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Epsom
    Posts
    160
    Thank Post
    16
    Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    13
    Hello Pooley or anyone else,

    Did you manage to get this working?

    I'm currently looking into this but I would want mail delivered on-site then to the cloud - Could anyone advise me on this, I've looked on Microsoft and they have no clear guidelines on this!

    Regards
    Matt

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Live@EDU Mailbox Login from HTML form
    By napsburypark in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 1st June 2011, 10:52 PM
  2. Publish IMAP from Exchange 2007 through TMG 2010
    By wesleyw in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 24th May 2011, 04:31 PM
  3. Hotmail & Live@Edu blocking mail from Exchange Server 2003
    By nsherin in forum Windows Server 2000/2003
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24th June 2010, 06:28 PM
  4. Moving to Googlemail from Exchange 2007
    By cjohnsonuk in forum Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11th June 2009, 09:23 PM
  5. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 20th December 2007, 05:10 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •