+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Exchange 2010 & Address Lists in Technical; Hello everyone, I need some help/advice regarding our Exchange 2010 setup. We have our Exchange Server up and running. Everything ...

Thank Post

Lightbulb Exchange 2010 & Address Lists

Hello everyone,

I need some help/advice regarding our Exchange 2010 setup.

We have our Exchange Server up and running. Everything is running great, apart from the fact that teachers/users are not happy with the way in the which the address lists work. I have the following issues:

• All users appear in the Global Address List. This is no issue for me, but teachers don't want students to be able to be able to send them an email at the click of a button. They want them hiding from here in order to discourage them from sending teachers emails
    • Teachers are concerned that by having addresses available for everyone in the Global Address List may lead to some teachers accidently sending confidential emails to students.
    • Teachers want a seperate address list for both staff and students. The staff address book should include all the correct groups, such as "heads of year", "form tutors" etc.
    • Students should not be able to access the staff address book, but staff should be able to access both staff AND student address books

So far I have created both address lists, and restricted the correct permissions to these via ADSIEDIT.MSC. I think I'm going in the right direction, but I still have the following problems:

• In order to hide students from the Global Address List, I have to set all students to be hidden from ALL lists, thus making the student address list totally pointless
    • Groups don't seem to be able to be created inside my customer address lists. When I create them they only seem to show in the Global Address List.

Please let me know if you think that my users are asking for too much from this. I'm pretty new to Exchange administration, but it feels like too much is being expected of this. How do you guys run your Exchange environment? Do you just populate it all and let it run it's course, or do you try and police it by trying to lock it all down? I'd be really interested to find out.

Regards,

Sven.

Thank Post
    Wait for Exch SP2 to be released later on this year, should help you. GAL segmentation is hwat yu need.

You can set perms via adsiedit but that's about it. You can mess around with this and maybe get it right but it's quite abit to do. Maybe put all your staff into an OU and restric who can send to the,, use features like moderation if you wish.

GAL - is there for it;s purpose.

3. Thanks to sukh from:

sven (3rd October 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    GAL - is there for it;s purpose.
    I couldn't agree more. Thanks for the suggestion.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread