+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Enterprise Software Thread, SCCM installation on VMWare in Technical; Just looking at rebuilding SCCM to get it onto the new servers, which would be as a VM. It's been ...
    Thank Post

SCCM installation on VMWare

Just looking at rebuilding SCCM to get it onto the new servers, which would be as a VM. It's been happy on a physical server up until now so will be an interesting change! I've read quite a few pieces about not installing as a virtual machine but for the time being haven't got much choice so will have to keep an eye on the performance stats, particularly on disk IO.

Having a bit more flexibility with hard drives I've split it up a bit...

- system drive
    - SQL partition for installation and DB
    - SCCM installation partition for binaries and inboxes
    - SCCM package share for distribution point and source files

Could in theory split the DP out to another VM but whether it's worth it for a small install is debatable.

Anyone else running SCCM virtually that can share your experiences?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Just looking at rebuilding SCCM to get it onto the new servers, which would be as a VM. It's been happy on a physical server up until now so will be an interesting change! I've read quite a few pieces about not installing as a virtual machine but for the time being haven't got much choice so will have to keep an eye on the performance stats, particularly on disk IO.

Having a bit more flexibility with hard drives I've split it up a bit...

- system drive
    - SQL partition for installation and DB
    - SCCM installation partition for binaries and inboxes
    - SCCM package share for distribution point and source files

Could in theory split the DP out to another VM but whether it's worth it for a small install is debatable.

Anyone else running SCCM virtually that can share your experiences?
    I use:
    * SCCM for FEP and DB (2vcpu and 4gb ram)
    * File server for distro point
    * Wsus server for distro for updates etc

Site is around 1000 computers. For a small site SQL on the same system will be OK, i'd still consider splitting out the files so the server can run without the bandwith for the nics getting overloaded when downloading/updating.

3. Thanks to Theblacksheep from:

gshaw (11th August 2011)

Thank Post
    I've got a WSUS server on another box that I'm happy with at the moment, tbh I've never really got on with SCCM \ WSUS integration... didn't seem to make update distribution any easier (if anything the opposite) so will leave that as is for now.

Separate server for distro point seems to be a worthwhile idea, did you put your package source files on that box as well?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    I've got a WSUS server on another box that I'm happy with at the moment, tbh I've never really got on with SCCM \ WSUS integration... didn't seem to make update distribution any easier (if anything the opposite) so will leave that as is for now.

Separate server for distro point seems to be a worthwhile idea, did you put your package source files on that box as well?
    Yeah all package sources and distros are on the same server in different root directories, it means double the space, but it keeps it tidy and stops the sccm server doing too much of the donkey work when it can be left to the top level work.

Thank Post
    Hi All, i want to use sccm for FEP only (at present) installation is proving to be a nightmare. have you got a good doc or tips for getting it up and running please ? its SQL which im having the problem with IIS, etc all configured and passes the pre req checks. apparently collation and account access are not correct but they are.... (to me anyway) also re-installed several times from scratch and always hit the same problem so any help would be much appreciated!

Thank Post
    Which version are you using, 2007 or 2012?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,537 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    I use:
    * SCCM for FEP and DB (2vcpu and 4gb ram)
    * File server for distro point
    * Wsus server for distro for updates etc

Site is around 1000 computers. For a small site SQL on the same system will be OK, i'd still consider splitting out the files so the server can run without the bandwith for the nics getting overloaded when downloading/updating.
    Ours is nearly the same and works great with SCCM 2007.

Thank Post
    its 2012 but have also tried 2007 and have the same problem. i must be missing something....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Following the guides on windows-noob.com or the blogged ones here you can't really go too far wrong. Is there a particular point you're struggling with?

Thank Post
    Its the SQL part. I have followed guides but no joy. i get errors regarding SQL service accounts (i have tried network, local system and domain admin) but no joy, also it says i need to choose collation sql_latin_cp1_AI,ES (think thats it of the top of my head) but i have set it to what is recommended. Also set local pipes etc. within sql management centre.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right, I suggest starting again, it's easier

Install SQL 2008 R2. During installation, one of the tabs is collation. In there, on the top collation option it MUST be set very specifically to SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

Install SQL 2008 R2 SP1
    Install Cumulative Update 4

You shouldn't have to touch anything else - certainly don't need to go near changing the settings in management centre like named pipes any more (you did have to in older betas/RC1 of SCCM 2012)

I tend to use the system account (same for all services), you could if you wish make another domain admin account for instance SQLSERVICEUSER and set that for all the services. Also make sure the SQL service is actually running before attempting SCCM install.

If you've done all that, screenshot the error page for me and I'll run you through it.

13. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

richbrowncardiff (5th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Hi having an issue with SCCM, I get to the point where I can install it but I get the attached error

and in the log file the error

ERROR: Failed to get the buffer size for LookupAccountName. Error = 1722 $$<Configuration Manager Setup><04-25-2012 15:07:40.989-60><thread=2604 (0xA2C)>
    ERROR: Failed to get SID for user (NT Service\MSSQLSERVER) $$<Configuration Manager Setup><04-25-2012 15:07:40.989-60><thread=2604 (0xA2C)>
    ~~===================== Completed Configuration Manager 2012 Server Setup ===================== $$<Configuration Manager Setup><04-25-2012 15:07:40.991-60><thread=2604 (0xA2C)>
    Capture.PNG

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That's just an SQL installation error, you've not installed the right versions of SQL as required. Don't installer newer versions because "it should still work" - it won't.
    If you use SQL 2008 R2, you *must* have the setup I described in my last post.

16. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

richbrowncardiff (5th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Hi all thanks for your help sorry for not getting back sooner. I have installed everything from scratch again and still no joy. Really annoying as i did get 2007 working after a lot of hassle. then removed (should have left it installed and upgraded to 2012) Will leave it for now and try again when i get chance . (New domain and full migration to plan for and configure for the summer).

cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,834 Times in 2,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Install SQL 2008 R2 SP1
    Install Cumulative Update 4
    For SCCM 2012 RTM, Microsoft and Windows-Noob both say you need Cumulative Update 6 for SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1.

19. Thanks to Arthur from:

synaesthesia (6th May 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast