+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, System Center Essentials in Technical; Hi Guys & Gals, I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with my attempts at installing SCE 2010 on Server 2008R2. I have ...

Thank Post

System Center Essentials

Hi Guys & Gals,

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with my attempts at installing SCE 2010 on Server 2008R2.

I have tried installing the program numerous times and each time it fails. I have been through the prerequisites with a fine tooth comb and rebuilt my Hyper-V machine several times.

Each time the program fails telling me to look in the log files (14,000 lines of log file in illegible format and about as much use as a chocolate tea pot).

So I have tried installing the resource kit to use the LogParser.exe to perhaps get Microsofts oh so useful log file into some kind of format I can understand.

Every single time that I install the resource kit it installs everything except the LogParser.exe.

After some reading I have seen that other people have had exactly the same issue as me and after obtaining a copy of the exe from somewhere have been able to troubleshoot their install.

Does anyone please have a copy of LogParser.exe included in the SCE 2010 Resource kit that they could send to me?

I'm beginning to pull my hair out.......

Many Thanks,

Ash

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Open the .msi as an archive with 7-Zip and you can extract the files manually.

I realise this next bit might not be what you want to hear, but SCE is a bit of a dog even once you get it going. I gave up on it after almost a year of production usage for the many reasons outlined here: Goodbye SCE – I never liked you anyway « The Angry Technician

Your use case may be different to mine, of course, so good luck getting it sorted.

3. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

iMash (15th August 2011)

Thank Post
    Did you download the ISO version of the VLSC? If so one possible problem with the install could be the files are corrupted in some way and just need re downloading.

Thank Post
    Cheers for the replies guys,

I'm only trying it at the minute to see if it will do what we want. So I'm installing the technet eval.

I have finally managed to get it installed on a physical machine instead of a Hyper-V machine.

The only reason I am looking at it really is because I want to get a new method of deploying software. Currently we have to re-package everything into MSI format to deploy via group policy software deployment.

I had a look at wpkg but it didnt seem very friendly and easy to manage. (I need something that is friendly for my colleagues to use).

So far it seems ok. A little bit fiddly for the config and the setup of the system but the software deployment (that will be used by my colleagues) seems very user friendly and simple.............. so far.

Ash

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    If all you want is software deployment, I strongly urge you to consider Local Update Publisher. It does all the same software deployment stuff SCE can do (and more), using the same backend (WSUS), actually works properly, and is free.

It's not quite as idiot-proof as SCE for the person doing the deployments, but it's not far off.

7. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

iMash (26th August 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread