+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, wsus and wireless in Technical; Hi All i have been using wsus for a while for my member servers and wired pc clients, i just ...

Thank Post

wsus and wireless

Hi All i have been using wsus for a while for my member servers and wired pc clients, i just pulled in all my laptops over summer to the windows updates as i previously did not want to degrade my wireless connection by pushing wsus updates down, i realise this is a little risky and now wish to revise this situation and start using wsus to update my wireless laptops of which i have around 160 my question then is does anyone else use this method does it have a detrimental effect on their network, is it even advisable or should i continue as i am doing?

any advice as always gratefully recieved.

Thank Post
    We've always updated out laptops (just under 200) with WSUS over the wifi. Since Windows Updates uses BITS to trickle the updates to the computers it doesn't make any difference to your bandwidth and it's much easier to let them update all the time as it saves you having to get them all back on mass.

3. Thanks to Boredguy from:

Uraken (29th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Our laptops have been updating over wifi - to a point. Due to them sometimes being on for very short periods, flat batteries, abuse etc, many updates have not applied - I pulled a trolley of machines in this week. Several were still running XP SP2 as it takes an age to install, and many had an old version of Sophos on. Smaller updates have been working fine though.

5. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

Uraken (29th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Brilliant help as always folks gives me something to go at.
    uraken

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i have stopped bothering with updates for our wifi devices and only do it when we reimage them once a term. The lenghth of time they take to do reboots and reconfigure after updates is just too detrimental, especially if they have been used one lesson, the updated downloaded, and then the next lesson restarted, and the updates install / reconfigure can take up most of the lesson.

Ive taken the same approach with the staff laptops as they just moan when their laptop sits at installing update stage 1 of 3 at 8:30 am when they need to login to take the roll, most of them were just turning it off and on again which would cause errors etc..

Thank Post
    We use a mix of deployment over wireless & networked laptop trolleys. If the laptop is in the trolley, plugged in (Power & LAN) we use WOL to wake them up, if not, they catch the updates when they turn on. Staff are encouraged to make sure the cables are in as it minimises the 'over air' updates.

Normally we play catch-up over holidays & fix the inevitable issues that arise when updates fail.....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread