+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Holding mail while changing Exchange server - what would you do? in Technical; Next week I am changing the network to an entirely new domain, new servers, everything. Will be installing Exchange 2010, ...

Thank Post

Holding mail while changing Exchange server - what would you do?

Next week I am changing the network to an entirely new domain, new servers, everything. Will be installing Exchange 2010, getting all settings ready offline beforehand, and then swapping everything on Monday/Tuesday next week.

The only thing that's worrying me is what shall I do with incoming mail during this period? Because there may well be a fair few hours when neither Exchange server is online (hopefully it wont be any longer!)

We've got Inty Maildefender which scans emails remotely before delivering them, so I thought perhaps there was a setting which could quarantine ALL mail for a while but I can't see anything. The MX record for our domain points to Inty's servers, then it is relayed through there to our server.

Any other solutions? I suppose if it is just a few hours then most mail servers will keep trying to deliver mail, and the sender would just get an undeliverable report when that times out? It doesn't seem like a very elegant solution though and would like to avoid that if I can help it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Doesn't Inty give you the option in the rules to delay delivery? If you set this for 3 days it should sort it.

Thank Post
    Your optio is to ask your ISP/Inty to hold the message for you, then you can release them after you have Exch installed.

This NEW change your doing is something you really need to consider, cant you just work with the current domain and fix any issue you have?

Why not introduct an new DC then rebuild the others,

What rebuild a new domain?

Thank Post
    If inty can't hold it i would suggest that you just leave it, it will keep retrying for upto about 4 days, if you are only offline for a few hours no-one will recieve a delayed delivery or undeliverable message.

Thank Post
    Very useful information.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not all ISPs will hold the email for 4 days ... some will do it for 1.01 days yet some will do it for up to 7 days. You need to check this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    When I've done this before I simply setup a postfix relay that would hold the mail. Put the relay in from of the exchange server and hey presto, mail is cached onto the server until the new one comes online. You can do it with any old machine, will probably take about 30min to setup.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread