+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Enterprise Software Thread, Backup to Disk - Specification in Technical; without wanting to appear argumentative for the sake of it what makes the WD Black any better than the Hitachi ...

Thank Post
    without wanting to appear argumentative for the sake of it what makes the WD Black any better than the Hitachi other than the Hitachi's having 'Deskstar' in the name???

They same to be of a comparable price but performance and reliability figures seem to sway slightly in favour of the Hitachi. Maybe I have missed something but I can't help but think some brand snobbery or similar is taking place. If I am misguided and their are other factors I have not considered please, please put me right! I want to have as much information available to make an informed decision before I pull the trigger.

Thank Post
    Years of experience has taught me to steer well clear of "Deathstars" you would be wise to do the same especially if your planning to use Raid 0 (which is a really bad idea unless you like rebuilding the server and losing all your data every 6 months)!!

Butuz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyBeRkId2002 View Post
    SNAP! Exact same system here! Probably had a couple of support calls a month for it with one ongoing for around 6 months. In the end ditched it for 2tb External drives... what did you go for in the end?
    We had multiple issues with the tape shutter locking commmands, scsi drivers, backup exec just crashing as soon as the system booted (it would always work after two reboots though), tape media failing. Currently using BackupPC on the disk box and that is on the other side of the building, then an external HD from there to get something into the safe.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyBeRkId2002 View Post
    without wanting to appear argumentative for the sake of it what makes the WD Black any better than the Hitachi other than the Hitachi's having 'Deskstar' in the name???

They same to be of a comparable price but performance and reliability figures seem to sway slightly in favour of the Hitachi. Maybe I have missed something but I can't help but think some brand snobbery or similar is taking place. If I am misguided and their are other factors I have not considered please, please put me right! I want to have as much information available to make an informed decision before I pull the trigger.
    Just down to experience I'm afraid. I've had Deskstar's die left right and centre, WD disks, not so much.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12