+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Enterprise Software Thread, Blackberry Enterprise Server Express in Technical; We use Google Apps for Education, now previously we used Groupwise and I had a Blackberry Enterprise Server set up ...

Thank Post

Blackberry Enterprise Server Express

We use Google Apps for Education, now previously we used Groupwise and I had a Blackberry Enterprise Server set up working well for that.

Shiny new Windows Server 2008 R2 virtual machine, decided might as well just use Blackberry Enterprise Server express, downloaded the Exchange version as there didn't seem to be a standalone one for Google Apps and the Exchange one doesn't seem to want to install because well...we ain't got Exchange

Any ideas? All I want to do is install a Blackberry Enterprise Server and get it connected up with Google Apps!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 1,466 Posts

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Saving me opening up a new thread I thought I would ask the question here....

We use Exchange 2003 and I am setting up a BES express server for our senior management members.

I have been following this guide to set up the server: Installing BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express for Exchange 2003 | Brightpoint GB Blog

The BES server is setup and I think is working. I am now in the process of adding in the users from the exchange environment into the BES server.

I am just slightly alarmed about something I have read in the guide:

"To associate a device to a user, the BlackBerry handheld itself can be connected directly to the BES Express server via USB. In the Administration web site browse to Devices --> ttached Devices --> Overview:"

Surely this can't be right!! That is a problem as the server is virtualised...

Can this process not be done over the air using wireless or something similar? Does the device have to be attached to the BES server?

This is surely going to be a problem for many customer.

Have I got this wrong or is this the way it has to be setup?

Thanks

Thank Post

6. Thanks to plexer from:

ranj (5th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Clearly I didnt read the blog properly!! lol

Thank Post
    New cloud version for up to 100 devices

RIM emits 100-BlackBerry cloud for small biz ? The Register

Ben

Thank Post
    A bit of an update to this:

The recent setup a BES Express server and all is working fine apart from all users are not able to reply back to emails.

They receive a red cross when they reply back and also receive a message "desktop Email program unable to submit message". Also we have had "message included an invalid address".

It seems to be quite a common issue I have tried to do a few steps but none have seemed to have resolved the problem.

Our BES server is on its own standalone W2003 R2 32bit server. Its connects into our Exchange 2003 server which is on a seperate server.

We are running BES Express 5.0.2 (Bundle 14).

We are also running SQL Express (free version) on the BES server itself.

We have logging enabled but don't know if I can attach the logs..

I have tried:

Restart the Blackberry controller service

Rebooting the server

I have also followed this guide: BESAdmin.info - Message included an invalid address show......

Followed a guide to configure LDAP on BES Express server KB03193

Since making the above change though I am now getting error messages in event viewer which say:

LDAP: ldap_connect error = 0x00000051

Is there anything else I can try? At a loss with this...

Thanks

Thank Post
    I gave up in the end - the users now use BIS instead.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ranj View Post
    Saving me opening up a new thread I thought I would ask the question here....

We use Exchange 2003 and I am setting up a BES express server for our senior management members.

I have been following this guide to set up the server: Installing BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express for Exchange 2003 | Brightpoint GB Blog

The BES server is setup and I think is working. I am now in the process of adding in the users from the exchange environment into the BES server.

I am just slightly alarmed about something I have read in the guide:

"To associate a device to a user, the BlackBerry handheld itself can be connected directly to the BES Express server via USB. In the Administration web site browse to Devices --> ttached Devices --> Overview:"

Surely this can't be right!! That is a problem as the server is virtualised...

Can this process not be done over the air using wireless or something similar? Does the device have to be attached to the BES server?

This is surely going to be a problem for many customer.

Have I got this wrong or is this the way it has to be setup?

Thanks
    I think that is a limitation of using the express server - just connect the device to a laptop / workstation and fire off the blackberry desktop program, create a mail profile for it and then match that profile up with the blackberry.
    That's how I do it - if you want the wireless setup you have to have to have the whole shebang I think.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ranj View Post
    A bit of an update to this:

The recent setup a BES Express server and all is working fine apart from all users are not able to reply back to emails.

They receive a red cross when they reply back and also receive a message "desktop Email program unable to submit message". Also we have had "message included an invalid address".

It seems to be quite a common issue I have tried to do a few steps but none have seemed to have resolved the problem.

Our BES server is on its own standalone W2003 R2 32bit server. Its connects into our Exchange 2003 server which is on a seperate server.

We are running BES Express 5.0.2 (Bundle 14).

We are also running SQL Express (free version) on the BES server itself.

We have logging enabled but don't know if I can attach the logs..

I have tried:

Restart the Blackberry controller service

Rebooting the server

I have also followed this guide: BESAdmin.info - Message included an invalid address show......

Followed a guide to configure LDAP on BES Express server KB03193

Since making the above change though I am now getting error messages in event viewer which say:

LDAP: ldap_connect error = 0x00000051

Is there anything else I can try? At a loss with this...

Thanks
    Have you tried re-sending the service books from the BES server to the problem device ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have found the most effective way to deal with a Blackberry is to hard reset it with a brick and then replace it with something that runs activesync.

Resending the service books can work as can resetting the device and rejoining it. You can also join the devices to the BES server by going to the admin site on a client machine which, if your in IE and don't have the desktop app installed will install an activex control which lets you run the add device/config device stuff fine. You need to make sure the requsite ports are open on the server but it does work and can be more reliable than the desktop app.

14. Thanks to SYNACK from:

plexer (24th August 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I actually think that I have encountered the failed send stuff before, in our case it was thanks to cached exchange mode on the outlook client. I can't remember the exact fix but I think it involved deleting the outlook profile then recreating it and also pulling the battery on the device and then powering it back on. As far as I can remember that released the locks and allowed it to work.

Also check the send as permissions for the BESAdmin user on the users account as well and make sure that the user is not a domain admin as this cooks BES too.

Ick, even thinking of BES makes me feel ill.

Thank Post
    Indeed, it does not like cached exchange mode - once setup [ I've done about 100 ] I don't have a problem with them. I can get a new blackberry setup in about 15 mins now. You can get Active Sync for Blackberrys if you want - [ that does make me laugh though.... ]

Thank Post
    I believe this is the issue:

Also check the send as permissions for the BESAdmin user on the users account as well and make sure that the user is not a domain admin as this cooks BES too.

I have tried to run a utility called iemstest and that has reported the following error: No Send As permission for the {domain\besadmin} account operator. and also am receiving a configured user.....failed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast