+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Enterprise Software Thread, Alternatives to Backup Exec in Technical; We're going with Veeam for the majority of our VMWare based backups, however to get the Veeam stuff to tape ...

Thank Post
    We're going with Veeam for the majority of our VMWare based backups, however to get the Veeam stuff to tape and to backup a few physical servers and some mac infrastructure we're looking to also use a Backup Exec 2010 R2 or CA ArcServe install

Thank Post
    just finished installing dpm on my DC, which while it was a lot of hops to get it installed, seams to run well now.

we use old Backup exec for the 6tb san to the tape loader and will be using dpm to back the stuff up from the vmware servers running from the 3tb dell san.

Thank Post
    How do we buy DPM 2010? Is it only available as part of System Center, or can it be bought separately?

This for an environment with just 2 servers, they only need scheduled file backup to NAS with automatic reusing of old media.

I'm trialling ARCserve, It'll do the job, but something simpler and cheaper would be better.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    Yeah its for a large multiple server environment. If I had single domain I would use windows backup and scripting SQL if you had that or better yet I would VM the server up and backup the VM
    Scripted Windows Backup is probably just what I need for a small setup I look after. Could you provide any info or links on how to get it going?

I'd ideally need monthly and weekly full backups with daily incremental, all to NAS, overwriting old media when appropriate. Surely this could be done with Windows Backup, scheduled jobs and scripts.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Backup Assist is pretty good. Pretty basic stuff that's really easy to setup.

40% discount on the list price for educational places. Zen Software

6. Thanks to bodminman from:

OverWorked (3rd October 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    We're going with Veeam for the majority of our VMWare based backups, however to get the Veeam stuff to tape and to backup a few physical servers and some mac infrastructure we're looking to also use a Backup Exec 2010 R2 or CA ArcServe install
    Same here, Veeam for 30 days of rollbacks on disk then weekly archive to LTO-5 via Backup Exec

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lordasb View Post
    just finished installing dpm on my DC, which while it was a lot of hops to get it installed, seams to run well now.

we use old Backup exec for the 6tb san to the tape loader and will be using dpm to back the stuff up from the vmware servers running from the 3tb dell san.
    What problems did you have with it? My new physical server (which will be a DC) will be the machine backing up the VMs, and I want to try DPM 2010 first before paying a big chunk of cash for Backup Exec with the virtual hooks, so if there's any advice to give, please let me know!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12