+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Exchange 2007 questions!! Advice please.... in Technical; Hello, Forgive my knowledge as I'm new on here and find this website absolutely fantastic with advice and guidance. I ...

Thank Post

Exchange 2007 questions!! Advice please....

Hello,

Forgive my knowledge as I'm new on here and find this website absolutely fantastic with advice and guidance.

I need some advice or help that I'm trying to sort out here. The first thing I wanted to get some advice on is users trying to access their work emails through their own personal computer at home.

Now the users go and trying to setup an email account for exchange and then type in their email address and password, but it doesn't allow it and says unable to connect to Exchange Server.

My question for this is am I missing a setting on EMC that needs to be configured that will allow requests like this to be authenticated? We are running W2K 2008 standard and all clients are XP SP3. Everything else works fine apart fromt this. Does anyone have any ideas?

My last question is on EMC - is there an easy way to archive e-mail from bulks of users? I'm trying to update from old members of staff and wanted to archive them?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Mo.

Thank Post
    @mo -

1. Have OWA or Outlook Anywhere worked before
    2. Has this been setup, if not, you will have to set this up.
    3. What do you want to bulk archive and where to?

Sukh

Thank Post
    Hi Sukh,

Yeah OWA is configured and setup and staff. There is an external URL for access outside the network and an internal URL accessing in within the network. Everything else works and setup right since I inherrited the network from the previous IT guy. Any other ideas?

I want to bulk the users maybe to a location on network, and I can move this to a local drive or external drive so free's up some space and it is updated then to how I know it.

Thanks.
    Mo.

Thank Post
    Hi

So do the staff want to access emails via OWA or Outlook?

When you mean, bulk the users and archive, what product/technology are you thinking of?

Or are you thinking of using powershell to export data to a PST file?

Sukh

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you are looking at Archiving Email.. Have a look at Waterford Technologies: Waterford Technologies - Email Archiving, eDiscovery, Compliance, File Reporting, File Management there Mail Archive Software is VERY Cheap for Education and is Fantastic!

James.

Thank Post
    Hi,

Thanks for both your replies.

@sukh - The staff are able to access their emails via OWA on their work laptops and personal laptops no problem, but on their personal machines, they like to use the Outlook client. It's not much of a problem but something I like to make sure it works. Initially, I thought the user was doing something wrong so I tried on my laptop and does the same thing. I'm able to access the OWA but can't configure the Outlook client to connect to the Exchange Server.

Is there something I'm missing that needs to be configured on the server to allow this feature?

@sukh & James - Also I was thinking the best thing is to export the emails from old staff to a PST file. Is this something easy to use?

Sorry for my lack of Exchange knowledge - but only been using it recently and trying to get to grips with it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mo_vigilante View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for both your replies.

@sukh - The staff are able to access their emails via OWA on their work laptops and personal laptops no problem, but on their personal machines, they like to use the Outlook client. It's not much of a problem but something I like to make sure it works. Initially, I thought the user was doing something wrong so I tried on my laptop and does the same thing. I'm able to access the OWA but can't configure the Outlook client to connect to the Exchange Server.

Is there something I'm missing that needs to be configured on the server to allow this feature?

@sukh & James - Also I was thinking the best thing is to export the emails from old staff to a PST file. Is this something easy to use?

Sorry for my lack of Exchange knowledge - but only been using it recently and trying to get to grips with it.
    I understand that you are running exchange 2007 so you would export the staff mailboxes to PST using Exchange Powershell, The command is as follows:

Get-Mailbox -OrganizationalUnit 'put_staff_ou_here' | Export-Mailbox -PSTFolderPath C:\PSTFiles

Replace: 'put_staff_ou_here' with Staff OU Name without quotes

----

Make sure you have FULL Permissions to all Mailboxes as the Administrator.

Add-MailboxPermission -Identity -User USERNAME -AccessRights FullAccess

or for the whole store

get-mailboxserver SERVERNAME | add-adpermission -user USERNAME -accessrights GenericRead, GenericWrite -extendedrights Send-As, Receive-As, ms-Exch-Store-Admin

Thank Post
    Cheers - I will give that a try. Much appreciated.

Thank Post
    Hi

No access, only have BB.

1. To use Outlook from a personal PC, you need to setup Outlook Anywhere. This includes setting up certificates and configuring Exchange for Outlook anywhere.

2. Has this ever been setup?

3. Other members here will be able to help, or I will give you more information on my return on Friday.

Sukh

Thank Post
    Sounds like you need to setup RPC over HTTP, get a UCC certificate for your domain, apply it within IIS, and setup users home PC outlook to connect via RPC over HTTP..... Otherwise users at home with HAVE to use OWA.

If you need guidance setting that up... I can do it in my sleep...

Thank Post
    Hi is there any chance of doing this by the user's mailbox rather than the OU? I've tried the below command line but I believe this will only run on 32-bit Exchange and not 64-bit according to the error when running this command. See below

Export-Mailbox –Identity <mailboxUser> -PSTFolderPath D:\PST

@sukh - I ran that command on Windows PowerShell as that's the only one running on the server and doesn't recognise the Get-Mailbox command?

(Get-Mailbox -identity <Staff Mailbox> | Export-Mailbox -PSTFolderPath D:\PST)

Is there anything else I'm missing out?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    You have to run the command from a 32 bit OS using the exchange admin tools installed.

Thank Post
    I would keep home se stricly to OWA. last thing you need is a security hole or someone to have an infection and start spamming people from your mail server on their personal machine - good way to get yourself blacklisted.

OWA on IE works perfectly fine. No reason for outlook on personal machine.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread