+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Enterprise Software Thread, some advanced exchange 2010 help needed please in Technical; Can you restart the new DC and let me know.......

Thank Post
    Can you restart the new DC and let me know....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    so after having the roles transferred to it, it wanst restarted. IVe restarted it now, and now restarting the exchange server again.

Thank Post
    cool, let me know what happens...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Code:
    Outlook Web App didn't initialize. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.
    The Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service on server localhost did not return any suitable domain controllers.
    Show details

Request
    Url: https://mail.peninsulamediagroup.co.uk:443/owa/auth/error.aspx?url=https://mail.peninsulamediagroup.co.uk/owa/&reason=0
    User host address: 220.233.58.237
    OWA version: 14.1.287.0

Exception
    Exception type: Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.OwaInvalidConfigurationException
    Exception message: The Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service on server localhost did not return any suitable domain controllers.

Call stack
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.OwaConfigurationManager.CreateAndLoadConfigurationManager()
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.OwaSettingsLoader.Load()
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.OwaApplicationBase.ExecuteApplicationStart(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Inner Exception
    Exception type: Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.NoSuitableServerFoundException
    Exception message: The Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service on server localhost did not return any suitable domain controllers.

Call stack
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.DSAccessTopologyProvider.GetConfigDCInfo(Boolean throwOnFailure)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.TopologyProvider.PopulateConfigNamingContexts()
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ADSession.GetConfigurationNamingContext()
    Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.SystemConfiguration.ADSystemConfigurationSession.GetRootOrgContainerId(String fqdn, NetworkCredential credential)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.Utilities.CreateADSystemConfigurationSessionScopedToFirstOrg(Boolean readOnly, ConsistencyMode consistencyMode)
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.OwaConfigurationManager.InitializeConfigurationManager()
    Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa.Core.OwaConfigurationManager.CreateAndLoadConfigurationManager()
    and logging back in to the exchange server is taking ages, sitting at applying user settings..

As soon as i bring up the old 2008 DC it all springs to life again..

I guess Ill run all the FSMO transfer stuff again just to make sure.

Thank Post
    Check the following on the new DC, before you do this, telnet to the new DC on port 389 to see if you get a connection.

a. Open the Default Domain Controllers Security Settings snap-in on the domain controller specified in the event description.

b. In the console tree, under Security Settings, expand Local Policies, and then click User Rights Assignments.

c. In the results pane, double-click Manage auditing and security log. Verify that both the Exchange Servers group and the Exchange Enterprise Servers group are listed.

Second, make sure that Exchange server is member of proper groups...

•Make sure that the Exchange server is still a member of the Exchange Domain Servers group and make sure that Exchange Domain Servers group is a member of Exchange Enterprise Servers group.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    nothing seems to work without the old one being up..

its a pain that telnet is not installed by default on anything windows these days either!

robert@oasis ~ $ telnet 192.168.2.41 389
    Trying 192.168.2.41...
    Connected to 192.168.2.41.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    is there something I can run that will show where the roles are based and what the old server might be holding?

Also, could you point me into a direction of a guide that would provide me with the steps i need to completely remove the roles, and demote, and retire an old 2008 server? Obviously what I have followed hasnt done the trick.

PS. thanks for all your continued help sukh, especially on a saturday.

Thank Post
    Hey np. Had a late night last night, so not totally focussed.

1. Run the ExBPA from the toolbox within the EMC. I would do this to identify the cause of Exchange. This is a must, will help you out a lot.
    2. Identify FSMO Roles Determining FSMO Role Holders
    3. If you need to move the FSMO roles then follow Using Ntdsutil.exe to transfer or seize FSMO roles to a domain controller
    I would not seize roles unless you have no option!!!
    4. How to remove a domain controller - Removing a Domain Controller from a Domain

Would be interesting to know the results of the BPA.

Regards
    Sukh

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    1. Please see attached for the Exchange BPA report.

ExBPA.scan.201103130937084429.data.zip

2. Using various of those methods, they all point to the new DC holidng the roles. Althouigh, running the ntdsutil and connectiong to the old DC, it shows this, is this normal?

Code:
    Server "2008server" knows about 5 roles
    Schema - CN=NTDS Settings,CN=DC1,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,
    CN=Configuration,DC=pmg,DC=co,DC=uk
    Naming Master - CN=NTDS Settings,CN=DC1,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=pmg,DC=co,DC=uk
    PDC - CN=NTDS Settings,CN=DC1,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=pmg,DC=co,DC=uk
    RID - CN=NTDS Settings,CN=DC1,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=pmg,DC=co,DC=uk
    Infrastructure - CN=NTDS Settings,CN=DC1,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=pmg,DC=co,DC=uk
    (DC1 is the new one)

3. Yep, thats exactly how i did the transfer
    4. Yep, thats the way I planned to demote it, cool.

ExBPA.scan.201103130937084429.data.zip

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    Check the following on the new DC, before you do this, telnet to the new DC on port 389 to see if you get a connection.

a. Open the Default Domain Controllers Security Settings snap-in on the domain controller specified in the event description.

b. In the console tree, under Security Settings, expand Local Policies, and then click User Rights Assignments.

c. In the results pane, double-click Manage auditing and security log. Verify that both the Exchange Servers group and the Exchange Enterprise Servers group are listed.

Second, make sure that Exchange server is member of proper groups...

•Make sure that the Exchange server is still a member of the Exchange Domain Servers group and make sure that Exchange Domain Servers group is a member of Exchange Enterprise Servers group.
    I dont seem to have an Exchange Enterprise Servers group, Im only running exchange standard, not sure if that explains it.

Also, I dont have a group called Exchange Domain Servers, it is called Exchange Install Domain Servers, is that the same thing?

Thank Post
    I believe he's refering to the AD group "Exchange Servers" that should be in the OU "Microsoft Exchange Security Groups" (located at the root of your AD), i.e. these:

Delegated Setup Security Group - Universal Members of this management role group have permissions to install and uninstall Exchange on provisioned servers. This role group shouldn't be deleted.
    Discovery Management Security Group - Universal Members of this management role group can perform searches of mailboxes in the Exchange organization for data that meets specific criteria.
    Exchange All Hosted Organizations Security Group - Global This group contains all the Exchange Hosted Organization Mailboxes groups. It is used for applying Password Setting Objects to all hosted mailboxes. This group should not be deleted.
    Exchange Servers Security Group - Universal This group contains all the Exchange servers. This group should not be deleted.
    Exchange Trusted Subsystem Security Group - Universal This group contains Exchange servers that run Exchange cmdlets on behalf of users via Management service. Its members will have permission to read and modify all Exchange configuration, as well as user accounts and groups. This group should not be deleted.
    Exchange Windows Permissions Security Group - Universal This group contains Exchange servers that run Exchange cmdlets on behalf of users via Management service. Its members will have permission to read and modify all Windows accounts and groups. This group should not be deleted.
    ExchangeLegacyInterop Security Group - Universal This group is for interoperability with Exchange 2003 servers within the same forest. This group should not be deleted.
    Help Desk Security Group - Universal Members of this management role group can view and manage the configuration for individual recipients and view recipients in an Exchange organization. Members of this role group can only manage the configuration each user can manage on his or her own mailbox. Additional permissions can be added by assigning additional management roles to this role group.
    Hygiene Management Security Group - Universal Members of this management role group can manage Exchange anti-spam features and grant permissions for antivirus products to integrate with Exchange.
    Organization Management Security Group - Universal Members of this management role group have permissions to manage Exchange objects and their properties in the Exchange organization. Members can also delegate role groups and management roles in the organization. This role group shouldn't be deleted.
    Public Folder Management Security Group - Universal Members of this management role group can manage public folders. Members can create and delete public folders and manage public folder settings such as replicas, quotas, age limits, and permissions as well as mail-enable and mail-disable public folders.
    Recipient Management Security Group - Universal Members of this management role group have rights to create, manage, and remove Exchange recipient objects in the Exchange organization.
    Records Management Security Group - Universal Members of this management role group can configure compliance features such as retention policy tags, message classifications, transport rules, and more.
    Server Management Security Group - Universal Members of this management role group have permissions to manage all Exchange servers within the Exchange organization, but members don't have permissions to perform operations that have global impact in the Exchange organization.
    UM Management Security Group - Universal Members of this management role group can manage Unified Messaging organization, server, and recipient configuration.
    View-Only Organization Management Security Group - Universal Members of this management role group can view recipient and configuration objects and their properties in the Exchange organization.

Thank Post
    Out of interest, do one of these:

Get-ADServerSettings | fl

and see what it returns...

This should at least trigger your mind as to whether something is funky with your DC config in Exchange.

12. Thanks to chrisbrown from:

RabbieBurns (15th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think ive resolved this. The exchange was set to use the old DC as its main DNS. Changing this, and I can now shut down the old DC and exchange still works fine.

Ill give it a week and then demote / delete the old one completely

Thanks alll

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    I think ive resolved this. The exchange was set to use the old DC as its main DNS. Changing this, and I can now shut down the old DC and exchange still works fine.

Ill give it a week and then demote / delete the old one completely

Thanks alll
    Cool! Let us know how you go

15. Thanks to chrisbrown from:

RabbieBurns (15th March 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123