+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Exchange 2010 - Role based mailboxs in Technical; Apologies that I had asked a similar question about 8 months back but never acted on it as at the ...

Thank Post

Exchange 2010 - Role based mailboxs

Apologies that I had asked a similar question about 8 months back but never acted on it as at the time I didn't have the time to try the different solutions out and I don't actually think that any of them would have provided us with what we need.

Scenario:
    Our head is leaving at easter. For the summer term, there will be a teacher acting as head. Then the new head will take over from the summer.

All our staff have their own personal login by name. They have Exchange mailboxes associated with these, most of them being internal only email addresses, but a limited number have external email addresses.

There are a number of roles within the school, head, bursar, registrar etc that have a role related email address. These are set as the primary email addresses for the users that undertake these roles, but they remain user mailboxes. These email addresses are use to send and receive email from/to the school.

We have a couple of other roles (office, info) which is used only to receive external emails. There is no pressing requirement to send email from these addresses other than to reply to or internally forward received emails. These are attached to a role based AD user and has no one person associated with it.

The role based email addresses are shared by different users who have share permissions setup to read and reply these role mailboxes, whether or not it is a personal mailbox (head, burser, registrar) or a non personal mailbox (office, info).

Requirement:
    I would like to differentiate role based mailboxes from personal based mailboxes. So, for the change of head scenario, I would like to setup a mailbox for 'head' and give the current head full access to the mailbox and initially the acting head read access, then when the head leaves, give the acting head read write to the mailbox, then when the new head starts, give the new head full access. If I get this working for the head, I can then split out the other role based mailboxes into permsonal and roles.

Environment:
    Windows Server 2008R2, Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003, 2007, option for 2010. We are licensed for 2010 on some machines but prefer initially to stick with Office 2007. Outlook 2010 is probably not an option on the new heads machine and the acting head will need Outlook 2003. OWA is also used.

Method in use so far:
    Currently, everything works OK. It could be better, but it was one of those things that was low priority and as I give my time on a voluntary basis, I was not going to spend too much on if there was not a need for anything else.

We are currently using sharing from within Outlook but there are two issues that cause a problem meaning that it does not work as I would like:
    1. when accessing a role mailbox that is open on the mailbox list in outlook, there is no way of sending an email from this mailbox/role/user. If replying to an email, there is an option to select the 'from', but not when writing an email.
    2. if a user has multiple shared mailboxes open, there seems to be no way of setting a default mailbox such that all emails sent will go from the role based mailbox

Any suggestions please.

Hope this all makes sense.

Thanks

-Ian

Thank Post
    In Outlook 2007 try the following:

* Create a new message in Outlook.
    * Go to the Options tab in the message's toolbar.
    * Click Show From to make sure it is enabled.

It should allow you to send from other addresses then.

The second issue may be more difficult to deal with.

Cheers

Will

3. Thanks to Willott from:

ianh64 (15th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Thankyou. I just tried that and it sort of works...

1. any way of the sent message being put in the sent folder of the 'From' mailbox and not the default mailbox of the user?
    2. any way of enabling this 'from' option by default? I did a quick look but nothing obvious - edit seems like this is sticky option which is good. Is this also in OWA and outlook 2003?
    3. Any way of setting the default 'from' ? If not set, it seems to default to the default mailbox which I guess, if role is split from user then this will default to the user email address rather than role email address. I guess I could rewrite the address in Exchange but that would prevent sending from personal email address.
    Last edited by ianh64; 15th February 2011 at 06:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi

1. Please use How to save items that are sent by a delegate to a manager's Sent Items folder in Outlook to achieve your objective.
    2. If you have multiple accounts open in Outlook, all you have to do is select the mailbox from the list and select new mail message, this will always use the From filed on the mailbox you selected. If this is not the requirement then let me know.
    3. Same as point 2.

Any issues then let me know.
    Cheers
    S

6. Thanks to sukh from:

ianh64 (24th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks. I will look over the kb more thoroughly when I am infront of a school machine.

Re #1. The kb mentions a hotfix for Outlook 2003. Does this mean that this functionality is already in Outlook 2007 and 2010? Also, is the hotfix included in any of the Office 2003 Sp's?

Re #1/2. We already run our office inbox as role based, however it ios never used to send emails. However I had previously asked a member of the office to test this and IIRC that they said that they could not select the office mailbox and send from it even if they wanted to. I guess I had not set up the privs to allow them to do this.

Thank Post
    Hi

1. No, this is not included in Outlook 2007 and 2010 as far as I know. You still have make this regkey change.
    2. If you have a role based mailbox, and it is opened as an additonal mailbox in a users mailbox, do you want the abiltity for theuser to be able to select the From field or set a default. For e.g do you want the user to be able select the From field to always be from the role based mailbox?
    Also, if the user has access to multiple role based mailboxes open, do you want the user to be able to select any one of the multiple email addresses as the From field?

Regards
    Sukh

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ianh64 View Post
    Apologies that I had asked a similar question about 8 months back but never acted on it as at the time I didn't have the time to try the different solutions out and I don't actually think that any of them would have provided us with what we need.

Scenario:
    Our head is leaving at easter. For the summer term, there will be a teacher acting as head. Then the new head will take over from the summer.

All our staff have their own personal login by name. They have Exchange mailboxes associated with these, most of them being internal only email addresses, but a limited number have external email addresses.

There are a number of roles within the school, head, bursar, registrar etc that have a role related email address. These are set as the primary email addresses for the users that undertake these roles, but they remain user mailboxes. These email addresses are use to send and receive email from/to the school.

We have a couple of other roles (office, info) which is used only to receive external emails. There is no pressing requirement to send email from these addresses other than to reply to or internally forward received emails. These are attached to a role based AD user and has no one person associated with it.

The role based email addresses are shared by different users who have share permissions setup to read and reply these role mailboxes, whether or not it is a personal mailbox (head, burser, registrar) or a non personal mailbox (office, info).

Requirement:
    I would like to differentiate role based mailboxes from personal based mailboxes. So, for the change of head scenario, I would like to setup a mailbox for 'head' and give the current head full access to the mailbox and initially the acting head read access, then when the head leaves, give the acting head read write to the mailbox, then when the new head starts, give the new head full access. If I get this working for the head, I can then split out the other role based mailboxes into permsonal and roles.

Environment:
    Windows Server 2008R2, Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003, 2007, option for 2010. We are licensed for 2010 on some machines but prefer initially to stick with Office 2007. Outlook 2010 is probably not an option on the new heads machine and the acting head will need Outlook 2003. OWA is also used.

Method in use so far:
    Currently, everything works OK. It could be better, but it was one of those things that was low priority and as I give my time on a voluntary basis, I was not going to spend too much on if there was not a need for anything else.

We are currently using sharing from within Outlook but there are two issues that cause a problem meaning that it does not work as I would like:
    1. when accessing a role mailbox that is open on the mailbox list in outlook, there is no way of sending an email from this mailbox/role/user. If replying to an email, there is an option to select the 'from', but not when writing an email.
    2. if a user has multiple shared mailboxes open, there seems to be no way of setting a default mailbox such that all emails sent will go from the role based mailbox

Any suggestions please.

Hope this all makes sense.

Thanks

-Ian
    I am confused. are you referring to Exchange 2010 Roles ? like the server roles?

Thank Post
    Hi
    @Dennylutz80 - Ian is referring to roles as personnel staff. For example the headteacher role, a head of departments, a teacher etc.. Not Exchange Roles.

Regards
    Sukh

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread