+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, How to identify the root cause of the Exchange Server transaction log partition usage in Technical; Hi Everyone, I'm having problem in one of the partition of the Exchange Server 2007 SP 2 transaction log, it ...

Thank Post

Question How to identify the root cause of the Exchange Server transaction log partition usage

Hi Everyone,

I'm having problem in one of the partition of the Exchange Server 2007 SP 2 transaction log, it is installed on my Windows Server 2008 with the configuration as CCR.

in one of the storage group, the transaction log partition goes drastically low (from 30 GB into 0 KB in just over the weekend period) when the backup missed just one day thus rendering the whole mailbox on that Storage group inaccessible.

Is there any way to identify what could be the root cause of this problem and how to rectify this to prevent the disk getting full ?

Any comments and suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    This is the bane of my life and from what I have read, the only way to properly rectify this is to backup every day.

I read one of the main consequences of this is that the Exchange DB becomes "inconsistent". Off the top of my head, it is possible you can rectify this using eseutil - but not at my computer so can't look.

3. Thanks to rh91uk from:

albertwt (1st February 2011)

Thank Post
    If this happens everytime the backup is missed, it shows there is some actvity which is causing this. There are a number of reasons. You should examine your transactions logs and if you can, use message tracking and look at the most messages sent.

When analysing the logs, it will give you very good indication to which recipient is causing the transactions logs to grow rapidly. From here you can take appropiate action.

Regards
    S

Thank Post
    ah.. OK, but how does one analyzing the transaction log ? is it using wordpad ?

Thank Post
    There is a utility that you can use to identify this. I will try and send the details to you tomorrow when I'm back at the office desk.

Not sure if you use any Exchange reporting system which gives you reports on top senders, mailbox sizes etc..? If you do, can always check this.

Also, check the message tracking logs and see what you can see from there.

If you want to examine the transaction logs, you will need to make sure you gram them before you purge or complete a backup.

Thank Post

8. Thanks to ful56_uk from:

albertwt (23rd February 2011)

Thank Post
    These utilities are used to maintain your Exchange Databases. ESEUTIL is primarily based the the physcial layer and ISINTEG ia at the logical layer. I would use both very carefully as they can destroy your edb files.

As transaction logs are being generated, I would really in the first instance check what is writing. If you have excessive transaction logs every day and during the day then I would be inclined to look at the edb.

10. Thanks to sukh from:

albertwt (23rd February 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    As transaction logs are being generated, I would really in the first instance check what is writing. If you have excessive transaction logs every day and during the day then I would be inclined to look at the edb.
    Yes running those tools is very risky business and the mailbox must be shutdown / dismounted first I reckon.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread