+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Enterprise Software Thread, Who has installed Zimbra ? in Technical; Following on from my last post last week in regards to Exchange - I am now looking at Zimbra. Now ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Who has installed Zimbra ?

Following on from my last post last week in regards to Exchange - I am now looking at Zimbra. Now I have NO experience at all in setting up Exchange or Zimbra - the last time I worked with any mail solution was with Lotus notes and that was over 7 years ago.

So my question is this - who has setup Zimbra from scratch ? Was this an easy task and what is your overall impression of it.
    Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    I set up Zimbra from scratch about 2 years ago. I think the recommended OS was CentOS, but I went with Ubuntu as it's what I know. I documented the process from start to finish, including SSO setups etc, which I might be persuaded to give you if you ask nicely

3. 2 Thanks to Hightower:

clarky2k3 (25th January 2011), mattx (25th January 2011)

Thank Post
    We have it here for a shared calender (unused) and im told the instructions are easy to follow and we didnt come up against any problems during the install so overall its easy to setup but we dont use it so I couldnt give you an overall impression of it.

Thank Post
    May I have a copy of the documentation pretty please Hightower

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    I set up Zimbra from scratch about 2 years ago. I think the recommended OS was CentOS, but I went with Ubuntu as it's what I know. I documented the process from start to finish, including SSO setups etc, which I might be persuaded to give you if you ask nicely
    I was thinking [ if we get it ] to stick it on [ hopefully - still got to get the hardware ] as a Virtual Server as it's part of VMWare.

My other concern is that I will have to buy another box for Spam and proxy server roles.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clarky2k3 View Post
    May I have a copy of the documentation pretty please Hightower
    You may, but I've just checked and it seems I didn't update the documentation for the following:

Automatically creating users (with a python script)
    Creating a bad word filtering system
    Applying a disclaimer to all outgoing emails

Although there is documentation on the web for this, I like to have it all in one place so leave it with me for a mo while I update these details, and remove anything personal like IP's etc. Will post it up as soon as it's ready.

8. Thanks to Hightower from:

clarky2k3 (25th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    I was thinking [ if we get it ] to stick it on [ hopefully - still got to get the hardware ] as a Virtual Server as it's part of VMWare.
    Yeah, we have an ESXi server with Zimbra on as a VM - makes backing up easier as we just use a python script (ghettoBackup) to take a snapshot to a NAS each night. Then, if there's a problem you can just restore the snapshot instead of having to dig down into Linux commands etc.

Thank Post
    Yeah, we have an ESXi server with Zimbra on as a VM - makes backing up easier as we just use a python script (ghettoBackup) to take a snapshot to a NAS each night. Then, if there's a problem you can just restore the snapshot instead of having to dig down into Linux commands etc.
    What are you using for SPAM and proxy roles ?

Thank Post
    What are you using for SPAM and proxy roles ?
    Zimbra has built in spam functionality, and in 2 years it's been pretty impressive. What do you mean about proxy roles?

12. Thanks to Hightower from:

mattx (25th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Here's the documentation. For the 3 parts I missed, I've just added links to where I found the instructions from. I know it looks like a lot of work, but we had ours up in no time, and it's been trouble free since (touch wood).

Plus, there's plenty of great people on here to get you up and running if it's the route you decided to take.

Zimbra Installation v1.2.pdf

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I moved the school over to Zimbra in 2008, following 6 months on-and-off testing and planning. Once set up, it's easy to use for both users and administrators. I did some bits of documentation but they may be out of date now. I'd advise checking the Zimbra wiki when doing anything, especially stuff by Ajcody - he's a bit of a community guru.

Users and distribution lists are created and updated automatically via 2 scripts - one VBScript on our AD server to export users, groups, account status to CSV, and the other Perl script on the Zimbra server to run the Zimbra command-line provisioning tool to create or modify users from the CSV file.

To make it even easier for our users, I developed a C# application which used pre-authentication to automatically log the current Windows user in.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    To make it even easier for our users, I developed a C# application which used pre-authentication to automatically log the current Windows user in.
    Ooooh, that's just reminded me mate. Not as advanced as @webmans solution, but we use Moodle here which uses NTLM to auto-log users on to Moodle. Then in Moodle we have an add-on that the users can click to auto-log onto Zimbra using keys and stuff.

The beauty about it is, I've wanted it to do a few things (auto-create users, bad word filter, disclaimer) and each time it pulls it out the bag.

Thank Post
    Zimbra has built in spam functionality, and in 2 years it's been pretty impressive. What do you mean about proxy roles?
    Great news on the SPAM front - that's another tick in the box. Proxy - sorry web content filtering etc.
    I take it Zimbra is quite flexiable on mail box account sizes / limits etc and you can setup groups etc.

Thank Post
    Great news on the SPAM front - that's another tick in the box. Proxy - sorry web content filtering etc.
    I take it Zimbra is quite flexiable on mail box account sizes / limits etc and you can setup groups etc.
    Yeah, something called Class of Services in Zimbra - my docs show how I set up a staff CoS and a student CoS, with different rules (like staff get 1GB where as students get 40mb).

As for web content filtering, I think you need a different solution for that (if I'm on the same wave length as you). I wouldn't install a proxy server to the zimbra server as they are completely different jobs, but if you are using VM's why not make a new VM with Ubuntu and stick Squid proxy on there. I did that about 3 years ago for a whitelist, and it works really well (which I also have install docs for)

18. Thanks to Hightower from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, you'd need another box for web content filtering - it's not advisable to run anything else but Zimbra on the one server. But yes, it copes very well with spam

Zimbra's 'groups' are called Class of Service (COS for short) and allow you to set a variety of features and options that are available to users in that COS.

20. Thanks to webman from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast