+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Enterprise Software Thread, Quick Exchange Server Question in Technical; Quick Exchange Server Question: Is there any reason why you should not run Exhange as a Virtual Server / Machine. ...
  1. #1

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,236
    Thank Post
    1,057
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Rep Power
    740

    Quick Exchange Server Question

    Quick Exchange Server Question:

    Is there any reason why you should not run Exhange as a Virtual Server / Machine. [ I don't think there is but..... ]

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    bodminman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunny Suffolk
    Posts
    1,153
    Thank Post
    724
    Thanked 224 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    84
    Don't know but we have Exchange 2010 running on XenServer and it works a treat!

  3. Thanks to bodminman from:

    mattx (20th January 2011)

  4. #3

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,152
    Thank Post
    284
    Thanked 767 Times in 578 Posts
    Rep Power
    334
    Exchange 2010 can be run on any virtualisation platform that is validated by Microsft, see list here
    You do occaisionally get some jobsworth at Microsoft SUpport saying it's only supported on Hyper-V, if you do then ask to speak to their supervisor...

  5. Thanks to teejay from:

    mattx (20th January 2011)

  6. #4

    Theblacksheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a house.
    Posts
    1,919
    Thank Post
    131
    Thanked 287 Times in 208 Posts
    Rep Power
    193
    Exchange 2010 running on VMware ESX4.1 here. Two servers (4gb ram each, 2vcpu) 1 mailbox and 1 cas/hub. 300 staff and 2000 students (students have very restricted mailboxes). CAS uses most ram and I could do with using 6-8GB for this.

    No dynamic disks.

    UM cannot be virtual.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 20th January 2011 at 03:54 PM.

  7. Thanks to Theblacksheep from:

    mattx (20th January 2011)

  8. #5

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,236
    Thank Post
    1,057
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Rep Power
    740
    Thanks - that's another tick in the box for me when it comes to future developments.

  9. #6

    Dos_Box's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Preston, Lancashire
    Posts
    9,787
    Thank Post
    572
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    23
    Rep Power
    626
    Moved to Enterprise Software forum.

  10. #7
    chrisbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    103
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    I know this has mostly been covered, but let me say that Exchange 2010 is very supported in a VM environment. Microsoft have strayed away from many other software vendors' approaches here. Microsoft support and even provide assistance with getting Exchange up and running in VMs. Because of the dynamic resource allocation and availability advantages of virtualisation, MS would be mad not to support it. There are even several extensive documents detailing the best way to get this up and running. In fact, provided with the opportunity again, I would be running HyperV on my primary Exchange 2010 box and have one or two VMs on there, purely for the ease of backup and availability.

    Hope this helps, please let me know if you need any more information.

  11. Thanks to chrisbrown from:

    mattx (20th January 2011)

  12. #8

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,786
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Rep Power
    348
    Exchange works well in a VM enviroment you just need to remember that exchange loves Ram and will eat as much as you will give it - both mine currently sit eating around 9gb of ram and thats just the Information Store.

    but each server has around 900 user accounts on

    T

  13. Thanks to glennda from:

    mattx (20th January 2011)

  14. #9
    chrisbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    103
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Exchange works well in a VM enviroment you just need to remember that exchange loves Ram and will eat as much as you will give it - both mine currently sit eating around 9gb of ram and thats just the Information Store.

    but each server has around 900 user accounts on

    T
    As you can see...this particular server is using 14GB for the IS, with only 57 mailboxes. We're currently on our annual holiday, so only 4 of these mailboxes are in use at present. Exchange IS will take whatever it can. This box has 24GB of RAM, and is a dual 6-core xeon.

  15. Thanks to chrisbrown from:

    mattx (20th January 2011)

  16. #10

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,786
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Rep Power
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbrown View Post
    As you can see...this particular server is using 14GB for the IS, with only 57 mailboxes. We're currently on our annual holiday, so only 4 of these mailboxes are in use at present. Exchange IS will take whatever it can. This box has 24GB of RAM, and is a dual 6-core xeon.
    someones budget is way to big! 24gb is slight over kill for 57 mailboxes!! and I know exchange likes eating ram - which i why i said it as it will keep eating it forcing other things to start using the pagefile which will in turn slow it down slightly if running as a vm using a san as it will not be able to read/write to the pagefile as quickly as it could with ram.

    EDIT: enless the server has other roles!

  17. #11
    chrisbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    103
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    someones budget is way to big! 24gb is slight over kill for 57 mailboxes!! and I know exchange likes eating ram - which i why i said it as it will keep eating it forcing other things to start using the pagefile which will in turn slow it down slightly if running as a vm using a san as it will not be able to read/write to the pagefile as quickly as it could with ram.

    EDIT: enless the server has other roles!
    Exchange is all it does. 57 is my staging count, it will soon have over 2000 mailboxes on it. My concern is that CAS is going to become a pain, will probably throw a CAS array in our ESX environment down the track.

    Also: Pagefile = empty.

    I've never seen this box page anything, it's a dream.

  18. #12
    rh91uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    871
    Thank Post
    137
    Thanked 132 Times in 114 Posts
    Rep Power
    35
    We have run Exchange 2007 then 2010 all in virtual environments. Seems to work fine here! We do spread the roles across multiple exchange servers, though.

  19. Thanks to rh91uk from:

    mattx (21st January 2011)

  20. #13
    bodminman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunny Suffolk
    Posts
    1,153
    Thank Post
    724
    Thanked 224 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by bodminman View Post
    Don't know but we have Exchange 2010 running on XenServer and it works a treat!
    Just for completeness our Exchange 2010 Server config is:

    XenServer (C:\ 40gb for the system / D:\ 100gb for the datastore - Currently using 20%)
    4gb RAM
    x2 V-CPU
    1000 mailboxes
    x7 mailbox databases

  21. Thanks to bodminman from:

    mattx (21st January 2011)

  22. #14

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,786
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Rep Power
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbrown View Post
    Exchange is all it does. 57 is my staging count, it will soon have over 2000 mailboxes on it. My concern is that CAS is going to become a pain, will probably throw a CAS array in our ESX environment down the track.

    Also: Pagefile = empty.

    I've never seen this box page anything, it's a dream.
    Your lucky with the pagefile - my server only has 12gb of ram in each of them. therefore 9gb store is pretty large considering and the pagefile is about 12gb!

    I have put in the budget for next year to up the server to 30gb of ram in each which should hopefully speed it up slightly although its not slow i would prefer for it not to have a 12gb page file!

  23. #15
    Cools's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    498
    Thank Post
    24
    Thanked 62 Times in 57 Posts
    Rep Power
    25
    i'll stick with a Linux mail server.
    shame Cisco now owns PostPath "is a drop-in Microsoft Exchange alternative based on the open source Postfix MTA"
    i was cheaper and could sit on a old server..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Quick server question please
    By Jobos in forum Windows Server 2008 R2
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28th June 2010, 11:29 AM
  2. Exchange server license question - standard or enterprise
    By ianh64 in forum Licensing Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17th June 2010, 10:40 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13th May 2008, 02:22 PM
  4. Small business server 2003 - quick question
    By Halfmad in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12th October 2007, 07:47 PM
  5. AD question on Exchange server.
    By Kyle in forum Windows
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 6th July 2006, 10:21 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •