+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Backup Exec Help! in Technical; Hi All, I'm a long time lurker of this site, but just signed up - wondering if you guys are ...

Thank Post

Backup Exec Help!

Hi All,

I'm a long time lurker of this site, but just signed up - wondering if you guys are able to help me!

We're currently using Backup Exec 11d, and we're trying to set up a new Backup to Disk job from a folder on a nightly basis, so from Monday night through to Friday Night. The job is approximately 200GB in size and takes about 3 hrs ish to run

I've set up the Backup to Disk folder with the following settings:
    Max size for B2D files: 210GB
    Max number of backup sets per B2D file: 100
    Number of concurrent jobs for thie B2D Folder: 1

I've then set a media set as follows:
    Overwrite protection period: 0 hrs
    Append period: Infinite - Allow Append

The job is set up to use the correct device, in this case called 'Notts Backups' and is set to use the 'Notts Backups' Media set

The job is set up Append to Media, overwrite if no appendable media is available.

The disk they are writing to has 1.5TB of space, so should be enough to keep at least a weeks worth of backups, but when I'm looking in the folder at the *.bkf files they seem to be overwriting the files.

The issue:

I've obviously got a setting wrong here, as I want it to fill up the disk with each of the nightly backups, and then when the disk is full to overwrite the oldest of these files. Is anyone able to advise me which setting I've got wrong here, cause its confusing the hell out of me!

Thanks in advance!

Thank Post
    Could be way off the mark, but it looks like you're appending, and have only set the file size to 210GB. Surely if you are appending, it won't create a new B2D file, but will instead add to the current one, so should that file size not be as large as the storage, i.e. 1.5GB?

Thank Post
    id agree looks like the problem is you have set a limit on the size of the file set

Thank Post
    Hi guys, I've expaned the Max size for B2D files to 1500MB (1.5GB) and unfortunately it seems that its still doing the same. I know i'm probably missing something blindingly obvious but cant put my finger on it

Thank Post
    Try changing overwrite protection to 5 days. If that works I'd also drop the B2D file size (with the whole backup going to a single file, if there's corruption that's the whole backup gone, multiple smaller files will mean some of the data would be in tact - I've got mine set to 10GB each - the backup job spans several files.

Cheers

Will

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread