+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Enterprise Software Thread, SCCM2012 R2 First Steps in Technical; Hi All, I have setup SCCM2012 R2 for the first time (following the completion of the 10747D course a few ...
    Thank Post

Question SCCM2012 R2 First Steps

Hi All,

I have setup SCCM2012 R2 for the first time (following the completion of the 10747D course a few weeks ago).

I have deployed the CM agent to a couple of machines, and am testing deployments with an application created from the Java 7u67 update. And this is where the problems start.

I've spotted that for both CM clients that they only show 6 tabs, rather than the full set. If I click on the site tab and try to find the site it doesn't find it.

Equally I have deployed the Java update, but have 0% compliance for both machines.

Where do I start trying to troubleshoot this?

TIA

Thank Post
    The two areas I'd check are...

* Make sure Site Boundaries \ Boundary Groups are set up correctly. (we have IP range and AD site set up and then both of these are added as our "main boundary group")

* Admin > Site Config > Server and System Roles > Distribution Point (right click properties) > Boundary Groups (make sure this is set as a boundary group containing your site boundaries)
    Last edited by Sam_Brown; 11th August 2014 at 04:46 PM.

Thank Post
    There's both a boundary and boundary group in place. I've set an IP boundary, for 10.121.244.0/255.255.252.0. CM has resolved that with a subnet ID of 10.121.244.0 (which I assume is correct!).

I thought back to the training, and remembered to look at Monitoring > System Status > Component Status. SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER is saying it cannot create objects in the Active Directory. I remember there being a pre-requisite for rights to the AD, and it talks about the site server's machine account needing full control rights for the "System Management" container in Active Directory. I'll have to do some digging to figure out which of these it is.

Thank Post
    Yeah that's right. You will need to create it by hand using ADSI edit if you've not had an SCCM installation on site before. There's also an AD Schema Extension you need to run as well.

Check steps 3 -5 in here.

using SCCM 2012 RC in a LAB - Part 1. Installation - Configuration Manager 2012 - Release Candidate - www.windows-noob.com

5. Thanks to Sam_Brown from:

Gongalong (12th August 2014)

Thank Post
    I ran the schema extension (using the bundled EXE) and that seemed to have worked, based on the log it produced, but I wasn't sure about the AD permission prerequisite :-/

Thank Post
    Let us know how you get on. Always interesting in how others get on. Any other queries let me know. Happy to help where I can

8. Thanks to Sam_Brown from:

Gongalong (12th August 2014)

Thank Post
    I still have to correct the AD container permissions, on the assumption that the schema extension had worked. I found another reference here, but I'm in the middle of updating servers. Will get there eventually :-) SCCM 2012 R2 Step by Step Installation Guide – Update | SCCMentor - SCCM Tips and Fixes

Thank Post
    Container permissions fixed, and that has kicked the CM client into life on the two test machines. I have followed this guide to setup Java (7u67) as a deployed applications: Deploy Java Runtime Environment 7 Update X with ConfigMgr 2012 |

The problem now is that although the deployment appears under Installation Status in Software Center, it's stuck at 0% on both test machines.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gongalong View Post
    Container permissions fixed, and that has kicked the CM client into life on the two test machines. I have followed this guide to setup Java (7u67) as a deployed applications: Deploy Java Runtime Environment 7 Update X with ConfigMgr 2012 |

The problem now is that although the deployment appears under Installation Status in Software Center, it's stuck at 0% on both test machines.
    Under monitoring have you checked Distribution Status > Content Status to make sure it's been distributed?

Can also check under Deployments > (your java deployment) to see if that gives any info.

First thing that comes to mind though it that is your DP set to allow prestaged content? Try turning that off and redistributing.

12. Thanks to Sam_Brown from:

Gongalong (13th August 2014)

Thank Post
    Distribution Status > Content Status shows the app with 100% compliance. (I did just deploy the app without distributing, but from memory it does distribute it as part of the deployment wizard if it isn't already)

Deployments shows me that for both machines the app is distributed, and deployment is "In Progress", although clearly it's stuck at the client end on this 0% downloading.

DP was not enabled for prestaged content, so I have enabled that. In the DP properties it shows both the CM client and the Java app.

Thank Post
    I went back to the boundary group, and it didn't have a site system server associated with it. I added that, and it seemed to kick things into life. Presumably the client had no idea what site server was associated with the boundary group, so didn't know where to get the software from.

Now both clients have installed their first app. Yippee!

Thank Post
    Glad it works. You might want to turn "Prestaged Content" off. Only reason I mentioned it was in case it was turned on. I've had it cause issues by being enabled for me in the past.

16. Thanks to Sam_Brown from:

Gongalong (13th August 2014)

Thank Post
    I've expanded the test group to five machines, and they've all got the client installed and the test deployment without any issues. Further yippees!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well done! It's an incredibly complicated piece of software which only makes it more satisfying when you get it working well

19. Thanks to Norphy from:

Gongalong (15th August 2014)

Thank Post
    Now struggling with Adobe Flash and Reader. Mixed success with Flash, confused by IE on Win 8 not needing it.

Reader seems to be very complex, on the assumption that it needs to be slipstreamed for every version, as per this guide Deploy Adobe Reader 11.0.3 with ConfigMgr 2012 | Problem is the latest MSP won't update the base version, at least according to these instructions.

I hope other software packages are easier...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast