+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Backupassist 7.4 in Technical; I've just started using BA 7.4.4 on a new Server 2012, which backs up to both a local RDX drive ...
    Thank Post

Backupassist 7.4

I've just started using BA 7.4.4 on a new Server 2012, which backs up to both a local RDX drive and an Openfiler NAS box. This is working well so far apart from one error that crops up on both backup jobs:

Code:
    BA712 Destination does not support copying of NTFS attributes or user does not have sufficient privileges
    The RDX drive is formatted as NTFS and the Openfiler NAS seems to hold NTFS permissions OK as well so I don't know why this is happening. The BA forums don't say much as they simply recommend checking the backup device is NTFS formatted (which is definitely is in the case of the RDX drive)

Without NTFS permissions BA will be useless on this server as its role is going to be a data server for staff, but I'm not making it live until I can backup it up properly. Is anyone else using BA with RDX drives or NAS boxes having this problem? If its not fixable I'll have to buy another bit of software

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Presumably you've setup a share on the RDX drive and set the NTFS permissions accordingly? Whatever account you used to configure BA itself?

Thank Post
    BA uses a domain admin account and the RDX drive has fullt NTFS permission - everyone can write to it!

Thank Post
    Have you specified an IP or UNC as the backup path in BA?

You could also try forcing NTFS permissions by replicating to all child objects.

Thank Post
    The RDX uses a local drive mapping, and the NAS path is UNC.

Weirdly, I was backing the server up to the RDX for weeks with no error and as soon as I made it a DC this started to occur. I only added the NAS backup after the promotion so I'm not sure whether its just broken the installation completely or something else is going on.

Thank Post
    That's a possibility. You could export your settings, uninstall/re-install BA and restore your settings if needed.

Thank Post
    Uninstalled and reinstalled -same error to both RDX (freshly formatted at NTFS) and the NAS box.

Got me baffled now. I need to preserve permissions on the backup or its no good. Theres no way I'd want to use backup exec anymore so I'll have to search for an alternative.

Thank Post
    Try using an earlier version of BA. I still use the latest version 6 of BA with no issues - your key should still be compatible with it!

Thank Post
    I'm trying that now, except the key will no longer activate as I've used it several times on the same server! Argh!

Thank Post
    BA has problems copying permissions as I have found myself. I use a Buffalo NAS and have to keep the copy permissions option in BA turned off because the Buffalo is running Linux.

Thank Post
    Looks like BA's support is as good as Backup Execs! Log a call and they send you to a KB link, which you've already read. Why do support never read the emails and simply scan for a keyword?

Time for a rethink - anyone using a GOOD backup software that can manage the basics like NTFS permissions, NAS boxes etc and is reasonably priced?

Thank Post
    I had this issue way back with BA 6 it simply wouldn't preserve NTFS permissions on the openfiler box. In the end I used the openfiler box as an iSCSI target and made that available on my Hyper-V host. Formatted the resultant drive as an NTFS drive and all was hunky dory.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread