+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Enterprise Software Thread, PaperCut - What benefits? in Technical; Those of you who use PaperCut and have moved to it from using nothing can you list me a few ...

Thank Post

PaperCut - What benefits?

Those of you who use PaperCut and have moved to it from using nothing can you list me a few benefits please?

i.e. Centralised reporting, centralised access control to MFD's

Just putting a few notes together to try and convince someone to spend the money and get PaperCut, I know its right but they need something to show it is for them. I use it everyday from an install point of view but need something from end users.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Reporting, centralised management, its very flexible, quotaing. Thats a few of my pluses. Allows users to view their own usages.

Puts a footer on the bottom of pages to show who, when, where a document was printed (only works on pcl drivers)
    Last edited by timbo343; 27th May 2014 at 10:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Simple user authentication with AD.

Easy to create reports for SMT/department heads.

Job logging that users can view.

Shared billing accounts.

Scripting / printer filters.

Also cheaper then our old program. Really shown us how much paper we get through and now it's so much easier to show people what they have printed and make them more aware of printing and the costs involved.

William

Thank Post
    To be honest of the all over and that it integrates really well with BioStore Biometrics if you happen to have that which we use it in conjunction with our MFD's and follow me printing queues.

One of the things that we are now playing with with the growth of BYOD is the use of the google cloud printing service meaning our users can print from any mobile device if they have the gmail / drive app installed it or if they have the client installed on their laptop. This seems to work well if you have a Google Apps Setup. If you don't then make sure you play around with the Web Print features allowing students to upload work to the print server and then choose the copier on which it is printed.

Works really well for our Sixth Form Students meaning they aren't limited by the fact they are using their own devices and not connected to the domain.

Thank Post
    Allows for follow me printing which is great

IGB

Thank Post
    Costs, cost, costs.
    Everything these days comes down to the green stuff.

We have seen a dramatic reduction on the amount of printing that is now done as we set restrictive balances on students, staff have to charge their printing costs to their departments or not print at all, whereas in the past they would just get into an IT suite early morning and print off 300 copies of the days teaching resources therefore hiding the printing costs to another department.

Whilst we don't charge any students for printing, they do have a starting balance and they can get printing vouchers from their teachers and we can also set users to not be able to accumulate funds higher than a set level. This alone has seen a HUGE reduction in the thousands of pictures of donkeys etc pouring out of printers.

The ability to now charge each department for their printing costs has been quite good as well as our head of departments/budget holders have now taken a more responsible approach to their printing costs, some even only giving small allowances to their staff to print from.

The Follow Me printing which allows users to release at any of our MFD's I thought was going to be the biggest selling point, however we've had in the past nothing but moans about it.

Thank Post
    Just putting it inplace and using the desktop client to notify users of their usage and the use of print release using the rfid tag in their idcards has pretty much eliminated wastage.

from bills of 2000+ to £3-400 per quarter.

Thank Post
    Hi All,

We are having this installed soon, so excited and looking forward to it. Can anyone tell me about the installation process?was it smooth?We are going with Annodata.I have some fuzzy end user to deal with soon lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingoranks View Post
    Hi All,

We are having this installed soon, so excited and looking forward to it. Can anyone tell me about the installation process?was it smooth?We are going with Annodata.I have some fuzzy end user to deal with soon lol
    Relatively simple. Just think about how exactly you want printing controlled in advanced with SLT agreement. Shared accounts, print quota etc.

10. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

kingoranks (6th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Cheers for that guys.
    @kingoranks - with Sharp kit which is all I have installed it with its quite simple. All I will say is have your IP's and queue names ready in Excel or even better install the printers, if you are using shared accounts get a list together of who needs to have access to what account, you can also have sub accounts and these can be locked down to just those that need them, decide who needs admin access to the console and which part i.e. business manager may only require access to reporting where as librarian may need to add credits etc. Decide on what limits are going to who, what you want to charge for each print depending on printer type i.e. desktop v MFD, bear in mind the cost of paper, electricity and any leases plus cost per copy, if you are using it for charging take a look at the PaperCut support site with regards to deploying the client to each PC via the MSI file and make sure if starts on login other wise print jobs wont get to the printer!! Know where in AD you users are you want to import if you are part of a large AD forest or you dont want to import all your users, easiest way to do this is to have a security group with them all in and just do the sync based on that. If you are having follow me printing decide what you want your queue to be called, FollowMePrint is what I normally use but you can call it what you want i.e. Homer, Fred, The Printer, Pluto etc. If you have confidential jobs that are processed there is also a setting that can be changed to hide the job names in the print queue in windows and the only way to see these are when you release the jobs at the device or if you go into the release section of PaperCut. Decide how long you are going to keep the jobs for in the follow me queue before they are delete, normally go for 3 days as it covers the weekend period, this will be entered as 4320, finally decide on your device names as once you have it running and a nice set of figures its not nice to rename devices without messing it all up.

Hope that helps, any questions feel free to ask.

12. Thanks to MatthewL from:

Thank Post
    One of the only softwares that reports job print 100% accurately. Most print management record jobs as they hit the spooler and doesn't care if it actually prints or not.

Papercut talks direct to the printer to check if the job has been printed.

14. Thanks to ass17 from:

Thank Post
    Thanks guys, I will keep you posted.

Thank Post
    All the pros are right on from what we seen.

What we have seen is a backlash from faculty who do not like to swipe their cards to print (which we resolved by setting some up to direct print while still using paper cut) but they still complain about having to swipe a card to log in to make copies...

I hope they just learn to keep their ID cards on them at all time as the policy in the handbook states.

Overall we love it...

Anyone wanna compare stats?

System uptime
    10d 13h
    Users
    Printers
    Devices
    Recent errors
    Recent warnings
    Total pages
    Pages today
    Hold/release jobs
    Active user clients

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by agarabaghi View Post
    All the pros are right on from what we seen.

What we have seen is a backlash from faculty who do not like to swipe their cards to print (which we resolved by setting some up to direct print while still using paper cut) but they still complain about having to swipe a card to log in to make copies...

I hope they just learn to keep their ID cards on them at all time as the policy in the handbook states.

Overall we love it...

Anyone wanna compare stats?

System uptime
    10d 13h
    Users
    Printers
    Devices
    Recent errors
    Recent warnings
    Total pages
    Pages today
    Hold/release jobs
    Active user clients
    wow, yours is massive compared to ours :v, we don't allow kids to print here though so our user count is just staff

System uptime
    2h 28m
    Users
    Printers
    Devices
    Recent errors
    Recent warnings
    Total pages
    Pages today
    Hold/release jobs
    Active user clients
    Total Google Cloud Print jobs

Thank Post
    Your 134 users SURE print a lot!

Students aren't in right now, so I'm kinda interested to see how the stats change

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast