+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Enterprise Software Thread, PaperCut - What benefits? in Technical; We have around 80 printers monitored in PaperCut - will be over 150 once we have them all deployed properly. ...

Thank Post
    We have around 80 printers monitored in PaperCut - will be over 150 once we have them all deployed properly.

It's excellent for seeing who prints where; e.g. staff moving about hammering other colour photocopiers! as well as general usage, reports, when pupils are silly and set a high number of jobs going.

We haven't got any quota/limiting in place but we should have after summer :-)

Thank Post
    SO papercut gurus riddle me this...

We allow guest printing, but we dont accept credit card so we can have these guest AD account manually add money to their account.

The idea came up to allow these guest AD accounts to charge to the Library budget, and have them only be able to release their job to the printer behind the library desk, where the librarian will be in charge of collecting the cash.

So we have a site wide GPO which pushes the followMePrint queue and the PPClient to all machines / users.... then i have a gpo setup to run on logon / logoff when one of these guest accounts logs into the Add the Guest Follow me printer which can only release to the library printer, but i cant delete the followme print queue as its being pushed by the site wide gpo...

Of course it would take a user to go in and change the default printer and know that they can manually type in the guest login account on the printer, but its still a chance ...

Any way to limit certain papercut users to only printer to 1 printer?

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    Those of you who use PaperCut and have moved to it from using nothing can you list me a few benefits please?
    Teachers having to specifically go up to a device and release their printing appears to cut down on quite a bit of wastage. Judging by the number of print jobs which wind up timed out and auto deleted.
    Otherwise such a print job may as well have been output into the "green bin"

Thank Post
    System uptime
    19d 2h

Users

Printers

Devices

Recent errors

Recent warnings

Total Pages

Pages today

Hold/release jobs

Active user clients

Top stuff, but remember - YOU WILL GET MOANED AT.

Thank Post
    We've just got Papercut in today along with some MFDs designed for the job, rather than our previous solution of PCounter and some rather antique Ricoh MFDs that had to have readers bolted on the side in most cases!

All I can say is...wow! I've only started playing with it today and already I'm looking forward to clicking around whereas with PCounter it was more a case of 'daren't touch anything in case it breaks'!

One question...I was importing our PCounter ID card number database earlier for the users and made a backup first as recommended, I then managed to bugger up by forgetting to remove the tick box from 'create new accounts if they don't exist' resulting in 2000 extra Papercut users! Easy enough to resolve, just did a resync with AD and selected the delete any accounts that can't be found in AD however if I needed to how do I restore the Papercut backup made earlier?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by googlemad View Post
    We've just got Papercut in today along with some MFDs designed for the job, rather than our previous solution of PCounter and some rather antique Ricoh MFDs that had to have readers bolted on the side in most cases!

All I can say is...wow! I've only started playing with it today and already I'm looking forward to clicking around whereas with PCounter it was more a case of 'daren't touch anything in case it breaks'!

One question...I was importing our PCounter ID card number database earlier for the users and made a backup first as recommended, I then managed to bugger up by forgetting to remove the tick box from 'create new accounts if they don't exist' resulting in 2000 extra Papercut users! Easy enough to resolve, just did a resync with AD and selected the delete any accounts that can't be found in AD however if I needed to how do I restore the Papercut backup made earlier?

Check out these two KB's

PaperCut KB | Restoring from backup

Database Tool (db-tools)

The db-tools command-line tool provides a variety of functionality manipulating the PaperCut NG database and data. The tool is located in [app-path]/server/bin/<platform>/ and needs to be executed from a command prompt. The syntax of the command is:

db-tools command [options]

The valid commands are:

export-db - export/backup the database data

import-db - import/restore the database data

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by googlemad View Post
    I used PCounter for years till I came to this job where we support and install PaperCut as well as PCounter and I was exactly the same, PaperCut wins handsover and you are right about PCounter and breaking things, I've got to upgrade an 80+MFD install of PCounter to the latest version, really not looking forward to it, if it was PaperCut would of done it last week.

It's such a better product by far.

Thank Post
    Papercut is pretty much the best thing since sliced bread, we've now got it on pretty much all our printers, and have had student charging after an initial balance for a couple of years. We tried restricting staff a couple of years ago, but it was laughed at by department heads who just authorised mroe credit left and right. as of this week staff are restricted again, any additional credit comes from department budgets, that will hopefully stop them. or at least stop my printing budget being ridiculously overspent.

System Status
    System uptime 9d 12h
    Users 9,096
    Printers 145
    Devices 35
    Recent errors 0
    Recent warnings 13
    Total pages 10,019,861
    Pages today 7,684
    Hold/release jobs 50
    Active user clients 429

SHARE: