+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Enterprise Software Thread, Exchange 2003 Account on iPad in Technical; Hello If anybody knows the answer to this it will be great: Configuring an iPad to pick up mail for ...
    Thank Post

Exchange 2003 Account on iPad

Hello

If anybody knows the answer to this it will be great:

Configuring an iPad to pick up mail for an Exchange 2003 account has become problematic (I say become but as far as I know it has never worked on this network)

What I'm doing:

1. Click on Mail>Exchange
    2. Enter my e-mail address and password
    3. Enter the server name and my username
    4. Then the error message 'Cannot Verify Server Identity' appears with the option to continue anyway
    5. Continue>Then presented with the options of Mail, Contacts, Calendars and Reminders with the green tabs but Mail is sort of greyed out
    6. Save>Account is added immediately followed by 'Cannot Get Mail-the connection to the server failed'

Does anybody know what could be going wrong? I have assumed it is an Exchange error as I have tried multiple up to date iPads.

If anybody has any information it would be such a help, thank you in advance

Thank Post
    Have you got other devices using activesync ok?

Thank Post
    Hello again

Perhaps I should have explained I'm really new at this and not entirely familiar with the technologies.

The only devices that currently pick up e-mail here are the PCs connected to the domain, I have not tried to connect anything other than these iPads.

Thank Post
    Ah - ok. No problem.

In order for the iPads to pick up emails from your Exchange server you'll need to set it up for, ideally, ActiveSync, although you could also use POP or IMAP - activesync is probably the preferred mechanism.

This should help you out: Step-by-Step Guide to Deploying Windows Mobile-based Devices with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 SP2

Feel free to ask any questions - I managed Exchange 2003 for years.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pantscat View Post
    Ah - ok. No problem.

In order for the iPads to pick up emails from your Exchange server you'll need to set it up for, ideally, ActiveSync, although you could also use POP or IMAP - activesync is probably the preferred mechanism.

This should help you out: Step-by-Step Guide to Deploying Windows Mobile-based Devices with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 SP2

Feel free to ask any questions - I managed Exchange 2003 for years.
    have a look at this
    http://www.petri.co.il/how-to-enable-imap-access-to-exchange-mailboxes.htm

i had a similar problem
    Last edited by round2it; 8th May 2014 at 10:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Hello

Thank you both for your help so far, I really think we might be going in the right direction but if you don't mind I have a couple more questions:

1. With regards to ActiveSync-is this something that should be installed on the Exchange server? I see in Mobile Services>Properties that everything to do with Exchange ActiveSync is enabled but no mention of it in Add\Remove Programs. I found this download: Download ActiveSync 4.5 from Official Microsoft Download Center but thought I would ask first.

2. The Petri Article-I found the IMAP service which was disabled so took the steps to enable it and run automatically, now step 4 of my original post doesn't occur and in step 5 the Mail option is no longer greyed out. However still when accessing the Mail app the 'Connection to the server failed' message still appears. I did notice that the POP3 service was also disabled, could this be part of the problem?

Your thoughts are welcome

Thank Post
    Hi @Bankesy.

ActiveSync is an exchange feature that just needs enabling and then configuring correctly - the guide above that I linked to should explain the process.

I've not really ever used IMAP with an iPad so can't offer any advice on that front.

You could try using the Exchange Remote Connectivity Tool - this is useful for troubleshooting issues. https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/
    Make sure that you use a dummy account and change the password after using the tool, too...

Thank Post
    Getting closer I think...

I ran that test and as expected it failed but I read here Exchange ActiveSync and Outlook Mobile Access errors occur when SSL or forms-based authentication is required for Exchange Server 2003 that there can be a problem with ActiveSync if Forms Based Authentication is turned on which for us it is due to using OWA. Is it safe to turn it off?

I have found Microsoft Server ActiveSync in Exchange System Manager under Protocols>HTTP but all its properties were greyed out.

So I went exploring in IIS where again I found Microsoft Server ActiveSync, this time with editable properties but didn't want to touch them.

Any of this mean anything?

Thank Post
    After doing that there should something in the Application Log in Event Viewer that will give you more information - the source will be "Server ActiveSync".

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I could be wrong but I think that the oldest version of Exchange that you can connect an iPad to via ActiveSync is Exchange 2007. The only way you're going to get an Exchange 2003 account connected to it is via IMAP or POP3.

Thank Post
    @Norphy - I don't think that's correct. At least I can't find any evidence to support that.

This may help too: Exchange 2003 and Activesync Configuration and Troubleshooting | Alan Hardisty's Blog - All Things IT Related

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pantscat View Post
    @Norphy - I don't think that's correct. At least I can't find any evidence to support that.

This may help too: Exchange 2003 and Activesync Configuration and Troubleshooting | Alan Hardisty's Blog - All Things IT Related
    Looks like I was wrong

http://images.apple.com/iphone/busin...e_EN_Feb14.pdf

You still need SP2 installed though.

Thank Post
    Exchange 2003 works happily with Activesync, even with SP1, but it works much better and is much easier to configure with SP2 installed.

If you run through my blog article page that pantscat posted (Exchange 2003 and Activesync Configuration and Troubleshooting | Alan Hardisty's Blog - All Things IT Related), it should walk you through the settings you need on your server and then help you fix any problems after testing on the test site at https://testexchangeconnectivity.com

If after running through my blog article you are still stuck, I should be able to guide you further - but it is likely you have an internal DNS problem if you have exhausted my article.

Alan

Thank Post
    Hello alanhardisty

I have printed off your instructions and begun to follow them.

At step 2 on canyouseeme.org when testing port 443 the error I get is the connection timing out, is this the same as it not being open?

Thank Post
    It's not the most promising start!

Unless you see SUCCESS - then assume the port is either closed, blocked, filtered or some other issue that will cause problems with Activesync.

Alan

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast