+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Enterprise Software Thread, Exchange 2003 Account on iPad in Technical; Yes well this being a school I have contacted the ISP and reported this so they can look into it. ...
    Thank Post
    Yes well this being a school I have contacted the ISP and reported this so they can look into it.

This might seem like a silly question but do the domain PCs not require ActiveSync? I have no problems with any PCs picking up email.

Thank Post
    No - nothing is required on any Personal Computer.

Activesync is a protocol and is installed on the Exchange server. All mobile devices implement the Activesync Protocl and this allows the communications to take place without the device having to go near a computer.

As long as communications are working properly and you get green ticks on the Microsoft test Site, then you should just add the account to the mobile device (iPhone / iPad / Android Device etc) and voila!

Thank Post
    What I'm getting at is do the PCs not use ActiveSync to retrieve e-mail or is ActiveSync purely a mobile protocol?

If it is a protocol should I not expect to see it in the protocol list under the server name in Exchange System Manager?

Thank Post
    PC's will use other protocols to communicate with the server e.g., HTTPS for Outlook (RPC over HTTPS) or SMTP / POP3 / IMAP for non-Exchange accounts. They can't use Activesync. It is basically a protocol developed for mobile communications.

No - you won't see it listed under Exchange - it is built-in to the software and isn't something you can add/remove, so therefore you won't see it listed anywhere.

Thank Post
    Ok that clears that up.

Next question...how to determine the IP address of the Exchange Server? Will it have its own IP address or is it just the IP address of the server running Exchange System Manager?

Thank Post
    The IP Address of the Exchange Server is the Public IP Address that points mail to it from the web (assuming it receives mail directly).

You can go to What Is My IP | The IP Address Experts Since 1999 from the Exchange server to see it's Public IP Address if you aren't sure.

Thank Post
    Good morning again

First of all let me say how grateful I am for all of the responses so far, its all really helpful and I'm learning lots.

There was a slight breakthrough yesterday when reading your article (alanhardisty). The part about checking the certificate lead me to realise that I had in fact been using the wrong server name on the test connectivity site. My error came about due to the fact that the exchange server sits on another server (as in not dedicated) and they both have the same name to look at on the screen but the certificate details made me realise it was actually issued to say mail.testschool.testplace.sch.uk

Armed with this information I ran the connectivity test again, this time with very different results. There were many green ticks until the end until the following errors occurred:

1. An ActiveSync session is being attempted with the server. Errors were encountered while testing the Exchange ActiveSync session
    2. Attempting the FolderSync command on the Exchange ActiveSync session. The test of the FolderSync command failed
    3. Exchange ActiveSync returned an HTTP 500 response (Internal Server Error)

I have noticed that the ASP.net version is set to 2.0 and not 1.1 as you suggest but I did not want to change this in case something else stops working.

Thank Post
    You're welcome - I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for someone posting a link to my blog article!

Good news on the progress you made after putting in the different server name. The ASP.NET can be changed happily - but having said that, I have seen some servers work happily with v2.0 so for now please just leave it alone.

The 500 error is detailed on my article too - which involves blowing away the Exchange IIS virtual directories and letting Exchange recreate them (follow Method 2 of KB883380 to achieve this).

If that doesn't resolve the problem and you still get the 500 error, then you are looking at a DNS problem (most likely) and that is usually only something I can guide you on with hands-on unfortunately. The error basically means that Exchange can't find itself internally using DNS. You are also at the point where Microsoft will no longer support you because Exchange 2003 Extended Support is no more.

Hopefully you are planning to migrate to Exchange 2010 then 2013 at some point in the very near future!

Thank Post
    Unbelievable! It's only gone and started working.

I took a re-read of your article very closely, line by line just to check everything and here was the problem:

Exchange Virtual Directory: Authentication only set to basic and not integrated. I had an iPad in my hand, changed this and saw it come to life : )

I cannot thank you for caring about this enough to help me, its a really big deal with the SLT here and especially because I'm new to the post. I've printed your article, highlighted the fix and put it in the safe lol

Thank Post
    Well done - it's all in the detail!!

Glad you got it working and hopefully it will stay that way.

My blog should be there for many years and will get updated with any new info I find, so if you have further problems, please re-visit it.

Best wishes

11. Thanks to alanhardisty from:

Bankesy (13th May 2014)

Thank Post
    Hello

Well it was almost perfect so I hope this thread is still open and being watched.

Everything is working: mail, calendar, everything apart from contacts.

The contacts list on the iPad only shows the suggested contacts from exchange. The Exchange Global Address list group on the iPad is empty unless you do a user search in which case they do actually show up.

Any ideas on how to get all the contacts to show up in the contact list?

Thank Post
    Still here.

Firstly check the contacts are enabled via Setup> Mail, Contacts and Calendars>Select the Account> Is contacts enabled? If not, enable it. If it is, then press the Home button and open up Contacts.

Select Groups (Top Left) and see which set of contacts are being displayed. You may want to turn off Suggested contacts and enable Contacts / other contacts folders.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then something is very wrong somewhere!!

Thank Post
    Hello

Yes I have contact sync enabled for the account on the iPad and the contacts default set to Exchange.

I go to Contacts>Groups and have the options:

iCloud
    All iCloud

Exchange
    All Exchange
    Contacts
    Suggested Contacts

Exchange Global Address List

Choosing any combination of these makes no difference, only suggested contacts are synchronising and the GAL is empty unless you do a search.

I don't think this is an iOS thing as my Android phone has also not picked up the contacts.

Could this be a clue: when using Outlook through Microsoft Office on a PC the mailboxes only appear in the GAL and not in testuser@testplace.sch.uk contacts. I tested this theory by copying one contact from the GAL to my contacts and it showed up on the iPad.

Thank Post
    That sounds like the contacts are syncing just fine - there just aren't any contacts to sync.

You won't see the GAL - it doesn't sync, but it can be searched.

Alan

Thank Post
    Ok so how can I configure the exchange server that the global address list is duplicated into each users contacts?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast