+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Backup Exec Goes Crazy on One Job in Technical; Hi everyone. This is a really big long shot. I am in contact with Symantec support regarding an odd issue ...

Thank Post

Backup Exec Goes Crazy on One Job

Hi everyone.

This is a really big long shot. I am in contact with Symantec support regarding an odd issue which has suddenly started with one of our backup jobs. I was wondering if anyone might have seen this before or have any ideas what on earth is going on.

We use Backup Exec 2012 with SP4. There are 11 total jobs in our system. Each runs a full weekly backup followed by daily incremental. All servers are virtual, but we are backing up the contents of the virtual servers and not the virtual hard disk files. All jobs work correctly except one which when running causes the BEngine.exe to memory leak and so drag the media server to a standstill. Data transfer rates drop but the job will eventually end. This only happens for this one server on incremental runs, the full backup works fine.

What makes things even stranger is that the problem server is our staff file server. In terms of setup it is exactly the same as the pupil file server (same Windows Updates and general settings etc). Symantec support seem to acknowledge the memory leak issue in many articles but their advice so far has been to restart the remote agent service on the affected file server before and after the job run. But, there is no memory issue on the file server itself. Whilst the run is taking place, the file server does not seem to change. The server was not doing this last week. We have run the same backup procedure for over a year without any issues. Nothing was changed within our setups last week.

Like I said, this is a long shot, but does anyone have any ideas what could be going on here?

Thanks for your time.

Thank Post
    Just had an update from Symantec support on this. They have asked that I remove the file server from the network and re-add it. After checking, it seems they want me to drop it off the domain and do a re-join. Given that this is a file server with home drives and associated NTFS permissions on it, is this going to cause any problems?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread