+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Veeam Version Query - Recommendations ? in Technical; I have a question I hope some people can answer for me on here, I have been lately looking at ...
    Thank Post

Veeam Version Query - Recommendations ?

I have a question I hope some people can answer for me on here,

I have been lately looking at Veeam on our site, we have used the free edition for ages since our virtual platform went live, I have been manually backing up servers since its gone live (aside from our print and successmaker servers, our other server backups dont change massively at all on a day to day basis), we are looking to automate the process by buying the full product, but wondering what version we should stump for ?

I have looked at the comparison pages and features and dont see anything "Stand out" to say I need to go for the enterprise edition over the standard looking at it ?

Basically on our platform at the moment, we have 2 node servers, each has 2xIntel Xeon Quad Core processors installed, We don't run exchange or sharepoint, just our internal applications on servers, and our main fileserver is physical and backed up seperately by our county ICT team.

Am I right in thinking that the standard edition is enough for our environment and its backup needs ? We basically want to automate the backup procedure to a daily basis for those servers needed, we have a batch job in place to copy the files then to our NAS on site.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you only have 2 hosts and don't plan any time soon to increase to more then 3 it might also be worth looking at Veeam Backup Essentials.

You buy it in 2 Socket bundles, so you would buy one licence for each of your hosts and it should work out cheaper then licencing just Veeam Backup and Replication I think.

Thank Post
    In the same boat - will the free version do what I need? (daily, automated backup and restore to storage device) and create snapshots of my VM serversOr do I need the Standard version?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    If you only have 2 hosts and don't plan any time soon to increase to more then 3 it might also be worth looking at Veeam Backup Essentials.

You buy it in 2 Socket bundles, so you would buy one licence for each of your hosts and it should work out cheaper then licencing just Veeam Backup and Replication I think.
    Second this, if you only have a few sockets, then Essentials is the most cost effective way of licensing it.

In most cases standard is sufficient unless you are also using tape (which you are not).

An alternative option would be something like Altaro Hyper-V Backup (providing you are running Hyper-V) which also supports backup to NAS device etc.

Let me know if you want a quote once you have decided on an edition as we can supply Veeam / Altaro licensing.

Ed

Thank Post
    Hello,

Forgot I posted this until just now, I would welcome quotes on 2x 2 processor veeam backup essentials as I think full B&R may be a bit of overkill possibly.

Thanks,

Rich

Thank Post
    Essentials is fantastic - it's cheap and does an amazing job of backing up the VMS and offloading copies to secondary storage. It also comes with Veeam one so you can keep a close eye on your server(s).

The enterprise is only really worth it if you're regularly backing up over slower WAN links. For most peeps who want to back up to disk and then offload to more disks or tape essentials works a treat!

Thank Post
    how much did it cost for the essentials package (I know it depends on number of cpus etc..)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    Hello,

Forgot I posted this until just now, I would welcome quotes on 2x 2 processor veeam backup essentials as I think full B&R may be a bit of overkill possibly.

Thanks,

Rich
    Sending you a PM Rich.

Thanks,

Ed

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread