+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Enterprise Software Thread, Best AV (free and paid)? in Technical; I use Norton Internet Security with a three user licence on my Work PC, Home PC, and Laptop... I've never ...
    Thank Post
    I use Norton Internet Security with a three user licence on my Work PC, Home PC, and Laptop... I've never used anything else, and wouldn't consider anything else... It's never let me down, and I've never had a virus... Had one issue with an upgrade once but they remoted in and sorted it for me...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 992 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all so far. It's a shame that hardly anyone makes a small unobtrusive AV solution without a whizzy-whoosy interface.
    I also tried Comodo (free) firewall this weekend. It lasted an hour before I removed it in utter frustration at it's constant nags and inability to accept Google Earth as a legitimate app.
    Oh, and it's constant attempts to install crudware at each update.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 28th April 2014 at 02:18 PM.

Thank Post
    kaspersky at home > Free though the bank. Not had any problems.

Cleaned a virus up for me a few weeks ago but not had any problems in the last few years.

Thank Post
    MSE at home and Kaspersky at work (may soon be Sophos though). Anyone who uses Norton at home or at work is not a techy. Not my opinion, just fact.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robjduk View Post
    Anyone who uses Norton at home or at work is not a techy. Not my opinion, just fact.
    I disagree! Lol... I've used it since I got my first PC back in the day and it's never let me down... I tinkered with Kaspersky for a year on my PC at work and had nothing but trouble with it so I went back to Norton...

Thank Post
    Started using Vipre AV recently. Really simple and quite good if you use something like GFI cloud to centrally manage it.

Thank Post
    Avast personally. If in USA, and a school, you can get the top version 100% free.

Corporate wise we have started to use a lot of Viper. 1000 or so PCs. Fits your bill 100%

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    To be honest, for the past few years I have always used Microsoft Security Essentials and have never had an issue with it... although I don't dig deep enough into how well it ranks in terms of other products in terms of detection etc.

You can called me biased! but this comment is from <before :-) lol!

James.

Thank Post
    Another vote for ESET NOD32 here. I've been a happy user for about 11 years now.

Thank Post
    For home usage always avast free.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 992 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    To be honest, for the past few years I have always used Microsoft Security Essentials and have never had an issue with it... although I don't dig deep enough into how well it ranks in terms of other products in terms of detection etc.

You can called me biased! but this comment is from <before :-) lol!

James.
    That's the problem James. Over the past year or so SE has been slipping down the rankings in terms of detection and effectiveness. We need something more effective now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,971 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Over the past year or so SE has been slipping down the rankings in terms of detection and effectiveness.
    That's because the team that worked on making MSE look good in tests is now spending their time making the anti-virus better at detecting real-world threats.

"We used to have part of our team directed towards predicting test results and figuring out what might be in someone's test. There's always a cost to that. If they are doing that work, they are not looking at those threats that are affecting our customers. We always felt that was wrong. There’s something not right about that – we’re not doing the best job for our customers." – Holly Stewart, quoted in PC Pro (Source)

Thank Post
    Using F-Secure on my current PC, but found that the interface was too consumer friendly for my liking. Currently using BitDefender on the other halfs laptop and seems to work well so will likely move to that for my machine as well. Both are the full paid versions

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    I use Avast Pro on all my own kit got a nice bundle license a few years ago and its great and hasn't been any trouble at all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,971 Posts
    Antivirus is Dead: Long Live Antivirus! « Krebs on Security

Crypting services are the primary reason that if you or someone within your organization is unfortunate enough to have opened a malware-laced attachment in an email in the first 12-24 hours after the bad guys blast it out in a spam run, there is an excellent chance that whatever antivirus tool you or your company relies upon will not detect this specimen as malicious.

In short, as I've noted time and again, if you are counting on your antivirus to save you or your co-workers from the latest threats, you may be in for a rude awakening down the road.

Does this mean antivirus software is completely useless? Not at all. Very often, your antivirus product will detect a new variant as something akin to a threat it has seen in the past. Perhaps the bad guys targeting you or your organization in this case didn’t use a crypting service, or maybe that service wasn't any good to begin with.

In either case, antivirus remains a useful — if somewhat antiquated and ineffective – approach to security. Security is all about layers, and not depending on any one technology or approach to detect or save you from the latest threats.
    @Dos_Box. In addition to the anti-virus software, you may want to add some additional layers of security like MalwareBytes Premium / Hitman Pro and Microsoft's EMET.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast